Friend Is Practicing Bass on the Vox AC4TV I Loaned Him... Should I Be Worried?

A-20

• Members

An older friend I have is learning guitar and I loaned him my AC4TV. Great Guy. Found out yesterday at church he's also learning bass... and practicing on the AC4TV. Should I be worried about the Bass messing up the guitar amp? Obviously it wasn't made for bass and isn't going to be "gigging" bass. :) But I would guess you have to turn it up to get much bass sound out... and anyway is this going to be harmful to it?

Thanks,

Dallas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Tell the ol joker 'No, you're not supposed to use a guitar amp for that!' and kindly take it home.

Boy I just do not like loaning my stuff to anyone. They never take care of it. Been There...Done That.

Screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me!

• Members

Yeah, guitar speakers aren't really designed to handle those frequencies at any major intensity. If he's turning it up at all, then you're at risk of losing that speaker. (Although with 4 watts on tap, I wonder how hard you can really push the speaker at those frequencies anyway.)

• Members

i play bass through a Peavey Bandit 65 in lessons. it holds up fine because we're nowhere near rehearsal or stage volumes. your Vox is a considerably smaller amp but should still be ok at bedroom volumes. if he's blasting it, that speaker will shoot across the room.

No it wont.

• Members

I can't answer definitively, but yesterday I tried playing bass thru an Ampeg VT-40 with newly-reconed speakers. It farted big time on the low notes, scared the heck out of me, thinking it broke them. Played guitar thru it, all was fine.

I will NOT do that again.

• Members

It wont shoot across the room.

Where would it get this magical amount of power and frequency range above its original design parameters, enough to blow the speaker?

If it is faulty or the original design is flawed then maybe - otherwise I cant see it.

• Members

It wont shoot across the room.

Where would it get this magical amount of power and frequency range above its original design parameters, enough to blow the speaker?

If it is faulty or the original design is flawed then maybe - otherwise I cant see it.

oh well. i was hoping for some kinda mini Marty McFly-like fireworks at stage volume.

• Members

Generally speaking it's okay to play a "lead" guitar through a bass amp but not the other way around.

If your friend can't afford his own stuff, and no bass amp is available, tell him to plug the bass into a PA channel, keyboard amp etc. If he can afford it, tell him to go to a pawn shop and pick up a {censored}ty little bass amp for $30-$40.

• Members

That would not make me happy.

I mean, it's only 4 watts so I doubt it will blow the speaker, but it sure doesn't sound like it would do it much good.

Hell, I recently got one of those and it doesn't have a lot of clean headroom for any kind of six string - HB or SC - so I can't imagine someone wanting to plug a bass in it.

I'd get it back.

I remember asking a guitar store owner a question like this one time, and he said it would be okay if you kept the volume down. And as I mentioned above, there's just not that much headroom on that amp to keep it down for bass use.

• Members

Good question. Somebody better tell
this
guy he's got a ticking time bomb on his hands. It only has 5" speakers
:eek:

It all depends on the speaker design, power handling and the amplifier it's paired with. Chances are the one you linked too was designed to handle heavy bass Qs. The Vox wasn't.

Archived