Mini-bucker Adapter Rings

Foster Zygote

• Members

So I was looking at the new Agile 3100 with the two mini humbuckers... Pretty guitar. Then I realized that the pickups are mounted in chrome-plated brass adapter rings with the same footprint as a humbucker ring. I've been looking for those for a long time. Does anyone know where I can get some? If not, I think that this would be a really cool addition to Jay's catalog. There are a lot of guitars with humbucker routs that I'd love to fit a pair of mini humbuckers in.

• Members

so sound wise they are the same

Most folks describe their tone to be like a humbucker meets a single coil. I would agree with that notion. There are two "classic" types....The Epiphone type mini with the adjustable screws and the Firebird type with the non-adjustable flat cover.

• Members

The hole size for a mini are wider side to side than a standard humbucker. The humbucker is fatter. A P90 has the same footpring as a mini humbucker. For gibson les paul deluxes they used what Lux-Man described but theres more to it. Those plastic surrounds made the pup fit a P90 sized hole. They screwed down into a metal bar below the pickup. I only could find one place that sold the metal bars. They had a note on their site gibson wouldnt provide them for resale any more.

So what it boils down to is you can rout out a P90 slot fatter for a HB, but the hole is too wide for it without some kind of custome made surround. if you go the other way, You would have to rout a standard HB slot wider for the mini but would need a custom surround thet is as fat as a standard HB

• Members

so sound wise they are the same

not quite. clean, they have a little more SC bite. Distorted sounds way thin for some reason (at least with mine, different minis probably sound as much alike as different full size hums).

• Members

I have been around these boards for a long time and the desire for adaptor rings to mount mini's in a full-size HB rout have pop up from time to time, but no one seems to have ever found any.

It would be very easy to cut some plastic ones from a pickguard blank and machining metal ones would be a fast job for any machine shop, but I have never seen any available over the counter.

nwtsama is correct, these are not adapter rings on the 3100, they are Firebird rings, they will not fit a full-size HB route....

al3100sebk5.jpg

Here they are without the guitar...

Gibson-Firebird-Pickup-Set.jpg

A Firebird rout is smaller than either a full-size HB rout or a P-90 rout. P-90 routs and mini-HB routes are not the same. However, the Les Paul Deluxe designers jerry-rigged the mini-HB's to fit inside of a modiifed P-90 rout by using the cutout P-90 shells linked above. However, the bottom of the rout is different than a real P-90 rout.

If placed perfectly, you can just barely hid a P-90 rout with a Firebird ring.

• Members

I have been around these boards for a long time and the desire for adaptor rings to mount mini's in a full-size HB rout have pop up from time to time, but no one seems to have
ever
found any.

It would be very easy to cut some plastic ones from a pickguard blank and machining metal ones would be a fast job for any machine shop, but I have never seen any available over the counter.

nwtsama is correct, these are not adapter rings on the 3100, they are Firebird rings, they will not fit a full-size HB route....

al3100sebk5.jpg

Here they are without the guitar...

Gibson-Firebird-Pickup-Set.jpg

A Firebird rout is smaller than either a full-size HB rout or a P-90 rout. P-90 routs and mini-HB routes are not the same. However, the Les Paul Deluxe designers jerry-rigged the mini-HB's to fit inside of a modiifed P-90 rout by using the cutout P-90 shells linked above. However, the bottom of the rout
is
different than a real P-90 rout.

If placed perfectly, you can just barely hid a P-90 rout with a Firebird ring.

I really like that guitar. they should put the p90 with a black cover tho

• Members

You can instal mini humbuckers in a regualr HB ring. All you need is a sheet of neoprene, that can be purchased in almost any arts & craft store.

You just cut out a square the size of the ring and cut out the rectangular hole in the middle for the mini buck. This gets rid of the extra space above and below the pup. It looks and works perfect. It's kind of like making a gasket.

lpfinishedneckpupeh5.jpg

• Members

I really like that guitar. they should put the p90 with a black cover tho

Hmm, I think the vintage white goes pretty well with the other white part the guitar has, a nice contrast to the black, somehow. The binding on the body, the neck, etc. Well, maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have been around these boards for a long time and the desire for adaptor rings to mount mini's in a full-size HB rout have pop up from time to time, but no one seems to have
ever
found any.

Gretsch Filtertron rings are the closest I've found. The mounting screw holes line up with most humbucker rings and you just have to drill them for the pickup height adjustment screws. They come in gold and silver and clear. The clear can be back-painted black or creme to match the guitar.

gfsnashvilles003rd4.jpg

Archived