Accountability within the music industry

• Members

cheaper cassettes, hi speed dubbing decks -- wasnt ideal by any means, but it sure went on! (I think the expectation of "god enough" was quite a bit different)

C30-C60-C90-GO!

ah, spinning a CC on a pencil to manually rewind, spooling out 10 meters of tape to find the twist (If I could go back in time I'd first sneak a tape brake into the CC spec...then do something about Hilter). It was just a chaotic technology, but people used th {censored} out of it

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can you tell the difference between an approved video and one put up by some fan, that the artist does not approve of? It's hard to tell some times. FYI some bands "look the other way" or even flat out approve of putting songs on file sharing networks. Can I tell which bands approve and which ones don't at first glance?

Its not my concern what people put on youtube. Nor is it the industries concern.

Anyways, as it stands, if you want to get nit-picky about it, if you view an illegal Youtube video, some anal-retentive type could actually charge you with downloading copyright material.

Dude, you're pullin things outta your ass.:lol::lol::lol: Thats like Janet Jackson showing her boob at the Super Bowl, and everyone who was watching gets fined.:lol:

I'm not some anti-download vigilante, really.:thu: I am a realist. Again, the cassette thing of the past is apples and oranges. College kids didnt have 500 gig hard drives full of cassettes;). If anything, kids who download like that cheapen their own musical experience. They never get to know an album well when they have 6 million of them.

• Members

AGAIN, when the entertainment industry aligns with the advertising industry and internet industry--to align for "pay per byte" in everyone's computer (that includes some "good guys", but also hits every crook....which is incredibly common. Every war you lose some good guys with the bad guys), then entertainers, artists, movie producers, etc. all get paid.

• Members

I wonder how long it is (or if it is even possible) that a new band--a big band--comes along that only performs their songs live. No records -- you can bring your machine and tape a show -- but the only recordings are demos done for the band to learn the tunes as making records is a waste of time. Maybe the demos get 'leaked' but the Knoxville Theatre show from August 20XX has the definitive version of . That would get people involved if a band was so good they could pull it off. The problem with bands now is that NONE of them are good enough to pull it off...

• Moderators

I wonder how long it is (or if it is even possible) that a new band--a big band--comes along that only performs their songs live. No records -- you can bring your machine and tape a show -- but the only recordings are demos done for the band to learn the tunes as making records is a waste of time. Maybe the demos get 'leaked' but the Knoxville Theatre show from August 20XX has the definitive version of
. That would get people involved if a band was so good they could pull it off. The problem with bands now is that NONE of them are good enough to pull it off...

I'm not sure this would be a valuable model to follow, since the only income for the band would be from live shows (merch), and without recordable product to disseminate at shows, how does one sustain a fanbase? Via the internet? This would mean that in order to have a constant income stream, the band would need to be on the road all the time, forever...not somehting one would opt for, IMHO...

• Members

I'm not sure this would be a valuable model to follow, since the only income for the band would be from live shows (merch), and without recordable product to disseminate at shows, how does one sustain a fanbase? Via the internet? This would mean that in order to have a constant income stream, the band would need to be on the road all the time, forever...not somehting one would opt for, IMHO...

That's part of my point, that's where a career in music is headed anyway.. This generation is more intrigued it seems when someone says, 'no' -- with the proper marketing, of course-- or they do something outrageous. A savvy company with the right band/artist and the right resources could make it a sensation: 'Tonight on Entertainment Tonight (or whatever) we'll look at a new band making waves by NOT recording a new album... They'll be on Leno tonight... ' It's gimmicky but it would generate interest. Someone would have to get a piece of the touring pie. And there are multiple layers of the concept: 'fans' record their own shows (or you plant decent copies out 'there')... then you move to we're making higher quality shows available on the website... to --gaaasp--- the band is finally recording an album in a studio... it's all marketing but that seems to be what it's all about these days.

Since the recorded media (the CD/file whatever) is meaningless at best, worthless at worst, why invest resources into producing it? It is a very time consuming, inefficient process. I understand from a writer's perspective doing extensive demos and such but giving them away to the general public is kicking yourself in the teeth. Now if you make it an, "I only give copies of these to close friends" and they get dispersed with that mentaility, then the audience, for a while anyway, feels they are a part of something special... or not...

• Members

That's part of my point, that's where a career in music is headed anyway.. This generation is more intrigued it seems when someone says, 'no' -- with the proper marketing, of course-- or they do something outrageous.

Yeah, you know, I think that if you have something of quality and demand, it's better to hold out for something. Something of worth. Here, hardly any band gets paid more than $50 per gig, unless they're drawing 50-100 people consistently. At some point when it's just not possible for the bands themselves to draw in their maximum amount of people, that's when you need that really special gig with a special touring band on the bill to get those people out. I've politely turned down 5 gigs--all at other people's request--because if they can't guarantee anything but a cut of the door or $50 bucks, forget it.

Soundguys, postering (we poster for all our shows, even if we're not headlining), door people/ merch people all cost alot, as does a rehearsal space, which is usually $250-$350 per month here. It just gets to a point where even if you can get a hundred people out, it's not even worth playing--because if we put on our own shows and get 100 people out (a great night for a band here....10 to 20 is what you're otherwise lucky to draw out, pending what shows you're up against on the night) at 6 bucks cover is $600. One place, to rent the facilities with full door take is $475 with soundman and door person. Factor in paying two other bands $50, and then postering/ poster person (if necessary), but that's easily $50-$100, depending on how many posters you want, and then all your cost of rehearsal space, and you're still losing money.

Cover charge is a joke. It's the only thing in the industry that hasn't gone up with the inflation of gas, equipment, rehearsal space and everything else. I mean, you can charge lots, but then good luck getting people in. And that's not even factoring in all the people that you put on the guest list.

Archived