"Speaker auditioning" CDs/DVDs

Mr. Botch

• Members

In conjunction with buying new carpeting for my house this fall, I'm auditioning/buying/installing a home theater, replacing my 27" box TV and 31-year old Yamaha/Advent stereo. Yes, my bank account will take a hit...

I've decided on the TV I want, and the amp (31-years on my first Yamaha, duh!) but I haven't been following speakers too much over the years, and Advent seems to be out of business.

So far I've auditioned Paradigms, Definitives, NHTs, JBLs, a pair of high-end Martin Logan electrostatics (nice if you sit in the sweet spot, but totally impractical if you fall asleep in your chair with your head to one side), and a hand's-down winner pair of Linn's, small and absolutely stunning sound, only $12,000. Apiece. (WHY did I listen to something I can't afford?!?!?) :mad:

Anyway, over the next few weekends I'll be listening to the above more critically, with recordings I know well. I'll include "Joshua Judges Ruth" by Lyle Lovett (brilliantly recorded), a nice Chopin piece (title, artist escape me right now, think it was done by Telarc), "Private Investigations" by Dire Straits (for dynamic range and detail), "Setembro" by Quincy Jones for lushness, some Steely Dan just because, and some Blue Man Group for sheer power/terror.

What recordings would you use for judging home speakers?

• Members

I've heard great things about the Paradigm Monitor series and B&W 600 series. Be sure to audition those.

And the best answer to your question is: the music you know the best is the best choice.

There are certain albums where I have a complete blueprint in my mind of *exactly* how everything sounds, and I hear/anticipate the upcoming sounds on the track.

Those are the kinds of songs you want to hear on your listening tests, because you will notice when something isn't right, and you will be surprised when something is better than you're used to.

You seem to have a good variety to test different styles and such, so that's good.

Only other thing I can think of is be sure to listen both loud and soft; make sure you're really giving yourself an honest evaluation of how the speakers will really be used in your house.

Archived