Peavey T-30 : Squire Killer

Wyzsard

• Members

lol, my point is that the old USA Peaveys are better guitars than the best of the ones coming form panda land.

I disagree. I've had a few old Peaveys, and they are often excellent guitars, but so are many of the new Peaveys being made in Asia. My '98 Predator Plus (Korea) blows away every USA Predator I've ever touched, and I'll take my '06 JF-2 (China) over any of the T-series Peaveys of yesteryear.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first decent guitar was a Peavey T-60. Neck a bit thin for me, but the thing was built like a Panzer tank and you could get a zillion sounds from it.

Really good quality guitars and MIA. Congrats!

Louisville is one my my favorite towns by the way.

Hey thanks. Peavey has made some great guitars through the years, and some duds as well. But so have Gibson and Fender. I was in my teens when Peavey started started building guitars and amps. I saw a lot of Louisville country bands using Peavey gear in the late 70's-early 80's, but the blues cats and rockers that veered from Gibson and Fender were going with Hamer, Music Man,G&L, B.C. Rich, and the like. I did see a lot of Peavey heads in rock bars though. The Mace was popular.

We lost some great local guitarists the last year. Ricky Mason, Steve Ferguson (early NRBQ), Tim Krekel, Dave Ernspiker.

Have you been to Guitar Emporium here in town ?

• Members

As a teen in the late 80's these were in
every
pawnshop window.

I played a couple and they sounded great.

The body style never appealed to me (if a Mosrite raped a Strat and a child was conceived).
:freak:

I always did love the "razorblade" headstock shape though
:thu:

Well, the short scale T models are smaller and not all that radical a departure. My Squier CV 60's weighs just a tad more than the T-30.

PeaveyT30039.jpg

PeaveyT30047.jpg

• Members

I think that's a decent price for one in such good condition with all those extras.

A few months ago I paid $275 for my T-40 w/ohsc. My T-60 I bought 5 or 6 years ago when they had just started to go up, $200 w/ohsc (it's a black one and the colors and bursts usually fetch a little more). Earlier this year I paid $125 for the T-20-like Fury bass, but w/no case or bag.

I just missed a T-20 by about an hour a few months ago. The shop sold it before I could get up there. They are the ones with the thumb rest pup cover.

• Members

I had one of those for a couple of years, in the hopes that the daughter would play it:

P1060763.jpg

In the event, she never did. I did enjoy playing it, and found it had a great combination of strat and heavier tones. They're a lot of fun and built like tanks, but the neck is a bit 'crowded'.

I'm having fun playing mine. It's a bit crowded as you say, but I have short fingers and it's not a distraction. Those with fat fingers may hate it.

I see no reason to mod anything, other than perhaps ditching the metal nut. I hear the same tone range as you. Fat and nasty or quacky and sparkly. I'm going to flip the pg when I restring it and see how they have it wired.

• Members

I disagree. I've had a few old Peaveys, and they are often excellent guitars, but so are many of the new Peaveys being made in Asia. My '98 Predator Plus (Korea) blows away every USA Predator I've ever touched, and I'll take my '06 JF-2 (China) over any of the T-series Peaveys of yesteryear.

Well, I'm talking solid body strat styles from China.

I had to google the JF-2. Sweet looking guitar :thu:

• Members

I usually just lurk here, but this was something I had to pipe in on. I just picked up a T-30 myself earlier this year off my local CL. The thing looked like it had never been played at all and came with the hardshell case. The guy was only asking a 150. for it, of course I had to ask if he was firm on the price, which he was, and I already had the 150. in my pocket ready to take it for that - and it's well worth every penny for sure. The only thing that could have made it better is if it was one of the "electric cases" with the built in amp.

• Members

I usually just lurk here, but this was something I had to pipe in on. I just picked up a T-30 myself earlier this year off my local CL. The thing looked like it had never been played at all and came with the hardshell case. The guy was only asking a 150. for it, of course I had to ask if he was firm on the price, which he was, and I already had the 150. in my pocket ready to take it for that - and it's well worth every penny for sure. The only thing that could have made it better is if it was one of the "electric cases" with the built in amp.

Good deal ! Is yours the Natural ?

• Members

I had a T-15 when they first came out. I wasn't much of a player back then so I can't comment on the tone. The manuals describe the pups in the same way, but the T-15's pup covers are larger. If you contact Mr Molitor at Peavey CS w/the serial number and color, he can tell you everything about it including the body wood and the day it was shipped to a dealer.

• Members

23 1/2 inch scale? My boys, 10 and 14 years old, are going to love one of those. The strats are just too big for them right now.

Ebay here I come.

Surfy

This one is sweet. 'burst + check out the tuner buttons. Vintage vibe big time. :cool: IF, he'd ship................. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/1476410654.html

I'd tell him to keep the amp as incentive to ship ;) Ask questions and for more pics of course.

• Members

Good deal ! Is yours the Natural ?

Yes, looks just like yours, which I'm glad. I didn't really care for the colored ones, except the black T-60, though that wouldn't stop me from buying one if a good deal came along on another one.

• Members

I just missed a T-20 by about an hour a few months ago. The shop sold it before I could get up there. They are the ones with the thumb rest pup cover.

Yup! The first version ('84-'86) of the Peavey Fury bass was close to identical to the T-20, with the same super-ferrite angled pickup with the thumbrest, here's mine:

furybasscloseupci3.jpg

• Members

I bought this yesterday. 83' T-30 clean as they come, save for 3 minuscule dings.

PeaveyT30001.jpg

PeaveyT30007.jpg

PeaveyT30011.jpg

PeaveyT30023.jpg

Here are a few specs

-Short scale 23 1/2"

-Vintage Kluson style tuners stamped Peavey Trulock

- 2 piece bi-laminated Rock Maple neck

-12" radius

-18% nickel silver frets

Easiest playing guitar I've ever held. Can't wait to see how this thing is wired. Huge range of tones. I'm losing interest in my Squier CV strats already, and I've only played it a half hour.

I remember working in a music store in the early eighties selling those. If my memory is right, they were a couple hundred dollars and they came with a pretty nice case.

Archived