[update] Digidesign Eleven Rack - Got Questions for Digi?

girevik

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first impression is that this is the real deal. I'm anxious to get my hands on one for an extended session.

At the risk of appearing spammish, check out the artist demos/presets Sweetwater had done (many more are on the way from major guitarists).

As usual, Craig, feel free to delete if this is offensive....

Mitch

• Members

Sweet!

I'd like to know if Eleven Rack can be used simultaneously with another Pro Tools LE interface while recording into Pro Tools. For example, me recording via Eleven Rack and my bandmate recording voice and guitar into an MBox2.

I also like the standalone (no computer) capability.

• Members

My first impression is that this is the real deal. I'm anxious to get my hands on one for an extended session.

At the risk of appearing spammish, check out the artist demos/presets Sweetwater had done (many more are on the way from major guitarists).

As usual, Craig, feel free to delete if this is offensive....

Mitch

You'll have to work a whole lot harder at being offensive if you want to trip the "offensive comparator" around here!

Yeah seems to be avid's take on pod X3 live, V amp, Axe Fx type units.

Yeah, that's how I'm reading it. It seems that the guitar tones are "in the unit", as opposed to being hosted within the Pro Tool application as plug-ins; which, at least in theory, should mean you can toss it in a rack and take it to a gig, sans computer.

It does indeed seem to come bundled with PT LE and serve as a Pro Tools interface. The only thing I can see that it appears to be missing is two mic inputs. After all, you might want to occasionally track a stereo acoustic guitar part for your recording... ;)

If I think of any questions between now and tomorrow, I'll let you know Craig.

• Members

I'd like to know what the MIDI automation capabilities of it are. For using in a live setting, I assume you'd need to hook up a MIDI foot controller to switch patches and dynamically change effects, etc. What MIDI controllers are they suggesting people use with it?

• CMS Author

I'd like to know if Eleven Rack can be used simultaneously with another Pro Tools LE interface while recording into Pro Tools. For example, me recording via Eleven Rack and my bandmate recording voice and guitar into an MBox2.

That's a good question. I see no mic inputs so unless all you want to record is guitar instrumentals, you'll need something else. Unless the plan is that when you get ready to record your guitar, you plug in this box, and when you're done, you plug in your other ProTools interface box. It does have analog and digital outputs, so you can use it just like any other guitar front end, unless everything inside depends on being connected to a computer in order to work. I didn't read the fine print.

I also like the standalone (no computer) capability.

From the pictures, it looks like you can, but with the above caveat. Let's wait for Craig's report.

• Members

This is interesting because it looks like you can't do this--at least not with another LE device. On page 71 in the manual, it describes using Eleven Rack with HD and M-Powered, but it does not mention LE. So we can assume it will not work with another LE device. Is this because the computer wouldn't know which hardware device was acting as the host for LE?

[p. 71 from the Eleven Rack manual]

eleven_rack_p.71.jpg

• CMS Author

This is interesting because it looks like you
can't
do this--at least not with another LE device. On page 71 in the manual, it describes using Eleven Rack with HD and M-Powered, but it
does not mention LE
. So we can assume it will not work with another LE device. Is this because the computer wouldn't know which hardware device was acting as the host for LE?

Of course you can hook it up to anything that will accept an analog or digital input. I guess that's what the page in the manual is showing. But there's no connection between the Eleven and the computer, so you have to turn all the knobs by hand. Essentially it's a stand-alone "guitar preamp" in this mode.

Does ProTools HD, LE or M-Powered have the smarts to work with aggregated multiple interfaces? Or does the hardware even have the drivers to do that? Because that's what you'd need to do if you wanted to hook up the Eleven and another interface and have ProTools see both sets of inputs and outputs.

• Members

...But there's no connection between the Eleven and the computer, so you have to turn all the knobs by hand. Essentially it's a stand-alone "guitar preamp" in this mode.

But there is a connection: look again at the back-panel USB jack of the Eleven and how it shows a connection to the computer. And the text says as much, beginning with "If you want to use the Eleven Rack Control window ..."

Does ProTools HD, LE or M-Powered have the smarts to work with aggregated multiple interfaces? Or does the hardware even have the drivers to do that? Because that's what you'd need to do if you wanted to hook up the Eleven and another interface and have ProTools see both sets of inputs and outputs.

Yes, that's the $64k question. It appears that it does with HD and MP, but not LE, at least according to this illustration in the manual.

• Members

I'd like to know what the MIDI automation capabilities of it are. For using in a live setting, I assume you'd need to hook up a MIDI foot controller to switch patches and dynamically change effects, etc. What MIDI controllers are they suggesting people use with it?

You can find a list of the MIDI-controlled parameters on page 95 of the manual, which you can download here. (Click the "Download" tab.)

And some of the functions you mention can be controlled with basic low-cost footswitches, such as those available from DigiTech and Boss. Which leads me to this observation:

For a deluxe live-performance processor, the Eleven Rack really should have two footswitch jacks--one for a dedicated expression pedal (i.e., continuous controller) and one for a single or dual footswitch (for momentary and latching functions).

eleven_rack_rear.jpg

__

A quick glance around the studio reveals two pedals that each sport two external pedal jacks--the Eventide TimeFactor and the IKM StealthPedal. Just sayin'.

timefactor.jpg

__

stealth.jpg

I guess Avid/Digi figures that because they also include MIDI jacks (which these other pedals don't), they don't need to put in the extra 1/4" jack. And I suppose that's fair. But it means you'll have to buy a MIDI controller instead of using more available (and simpler) footswitches.

Archived