Pedal board, Buy or Build?

cale76

• Members

Simple enough question, those that have pedal boards, did you opt to buy or build your own? I'm weighing the options with pedal boards and came to the conclusion that they are quite expensive for what they are, and was thinking of just building my own instead. The only problem with that would be finding a case that it would fit in, so I thought I'd get some opinions. If you've built your own please post pics. Thanks.

• Members

Totally depends on how good you are at building things.

For me, especially when I was gigging, having a lightweight, sturdy, angled aluminum Pedaltrain with mounting for the PP2+ underneath and a padded bag with storage pockets was well worth $99 and then some! Before I just had them mounted on a wooden slab. Nice that I didn't have to set the whole thing up over and over again, but can't hold a candle as far as portability/durability.

• Members

I think homemade boards are great if you don't plan to go anywhere. I had one, covered it in blue plaid, and it was awesome at holding pedals. Moving it, however, was awful. Heavy, no handles, no case or any kind of protection for the pedals.

I've since picked up a CNB case from Rondo, and while it's a cheapo, it gets the job done. Nice looking cases, relatively light, relatively sturdy, etc. Most importantly, however, is the fact that you can carry it like a suitcase and throw/sit/position it however you like when you move gear.

• Members

I built mine, nothing more than a piece of 5/8" plywood, about 24"x16".

Added a couple of small blocks about 3/4"x3/4"x 4" under the top edge to angle it a bit. Painted it black with a rattle can and added some industrial strength Velcro strips that I got from work. Couple of large screen door handles added for carrying. Total cost:0$ since I had everything lying around the house.

If I ever start gigging, I can head down to the thrift store an buy a suitcase to fit it into for cheap. Just add some foam padding and I'm good to go.

Yes I'm a cheap bastard.

SN850972.jpg

• Members

I think homemade boards are great if you don't plan to go anywhere. I had one, covered it in blue plaid, and it was awesome at holding pedals. Moving it, however, was awful. Heavy, no handles, no case or any kind of protection for the pedals.

I've since picked up a CNB case from Rondo, and while it's a cheapo, it gets the job done. Nice looking cases, relatively light, relatively sturdy, etc. Most importantly, however, is the fact that you can carry it like a suitcase and throw/sit/position it however you like when you move gear.

The Rondo cases are quite affordable, do the boards angle up at all, or are they flat?

• Members

I built mine, nothing more than a piece of 5/8" plywood, about 24"x16".

Added a couple of small blocks about 3/4"x3/4"x 4" under the top edge to angle it a bit. Painted it black with a rattle can and added some industrial strength Velcro strips that I got from work. Couple of large screen door handles added for carrying. Total cost:0$ since I had everything lying around the house.

If I ever start gigging, I can head down to the thrift store an buy a suitcase to fit it into for cheap. Just add some foam padding and I'm good to go.

Yes I'm a cheap bastard.

SN850972.jpg

Work blocks photobucket, so I'll have to check out the pic when I get home, but I had thought plywood would be the way to go DIY, I'm definitely still considering both options, and while it would be nice to get something that requires no work, I think it would be quite rewarding to build something functional at a fraction of the price.

• Members

After searching high and low and not finding what I wanted, I decided to build my own. The great thing is that I was able to size it for exactly the setup I wanted to have.

Was it easy to build? No.

I copied the basic design from those fantastic NYC pedalboards. I've had it almost four years now and it's been through a lot of wear and tear and it's still in great shape. It's really tough. It's sitting just a few feet from me now.

I used to have a DIY on how I built this, but the links are dead now. Maybe I should redo the DIY?

DSC03360.jpg

That is awesome. Please do repost your DIY, because that thing looks professional.

• Members

I've always built my own and made them small enough to fit into the duffel bag I use to carry all my cables and mics and stuff like that.

Here are a few different ones I've built. The first couple were a little over complicated and didn't offer much room to rearrange pedals when I replaced or added one. The one I'm using now is big enough to house a few more pedals if need be, and I can arrange them pretty much however I want, but the cables aren't hidden like the older ones.

Pedalboard.jpg

Pedalboard03.07.09.jpg

Pedalboard031109.jpg

• Members

I decided that I needed a good gigging pedalboard I looked into building one. I had a friend who's really good with wood try to help me with a design and in the end it was easier to just buy one. The problem is always the case. Unless you are a good woodworker like Loconzly, building a case for a pedalboard can be really time consuming and expensive. I looked into the cheap suitcase idea and I couldn't really find anything that would fit my specs for a decend price.

Now I have a small pedaltrain and a big NYC Pedalboard. They both work great. The NYC Pedalboard is heavy as hell (when loaded like the pic below) but I got it custom made so I got what I asked for. On the other hand I've had it for about seven years and it hasn't failed yet.

img_2653.jpg

• Members

HOLY CRAP. I thought you had disappeared. Haven't seen you in ages! How you been?

Pedalboard.jpg

Is the new board less offensive to you than the original one?
:D

ahh there it is!! Yes, the new board gets my endorsement!

I've been good...busy. The site was blocked at work for quite a while so it's good to be back.