Pickups: slugs vs screws

dres_x

• Members

No difference. Screws are adjustable, slugs aren't (easily). That's about it.

This! ^

Most everybody understands that raising or lowering a pup changes the strength of the signal it puts out and also the tone to a certain extent. But most people seem to forget that the most effective way to alter the tone of a HB is the pole screws.

Simply put, when you move a pole screw you are affecting the relative amounts of signal for the 2 coils mostly affecting the closest string (the one under the screw). So generally, for a neck HB where the screws are closest to the neck, when you screw it out (up) you give the neckmost coil more relative output than the other coil and, since string tone gets mellower as you approach its middle, the pickup tone for that string gets mellower. Conversely, if you screw it IN, the neckmost coil's effect on tone is reduced and the tone gets brighter (or at least LESS mellow).

For bridge pups, the screws are typically closest to the bridge, so the effect of screwing in and out are reversed. When you screw the bridge pup screw out (up) the tone will get brighter, because in this case the screw coil is closer to the bridge so increasing its signal relative to the other coil increases brightness.

And you don't have to turn the screw much at all to hear the difference! I generally make my changes in 1/4 turn increments. The only time I do 1/2 or full turn changes is when I'm trying to make a drastic tonal change.

For a long time, I'm ashamed to admit, I simply thought that the screws were a way to balance the pup's string output. And actually if you split the coils and only use the screw coil that IS their primary effect. But in humbucker mode what adjusting the screws really changes is tone.

Try it! It really gives you a fair bit of control over the sound of your pups. You think your neck pup is too muddy? Screw the screws in (assuming that they are in the coil closest to the neck).

Now, you've just taken your first step into a whole new world!

• Members

No way it's the same thing.

Slugs are made of a totally different alloy than the screws, a much softer one.

Being that the alloy influences the shape and strength of the magnetic field that the pickup creates, changing the alloy changes tone.

Think about a DiMarzio Super Distortion that uses stainless steel allen bolts in place of screws. It's not a gimmick, it is instrumental in making the pickup sounding the way it does.

• Members

Being that the alloy influences the shape and strength of the magnetic field that the pickup creates, changing the alloy changes tone.

Think about a DiMarzio Super Distortion that uses stainless steel allen bolts in place of screws. It's not a gimmick, it is instrumental in making the pickup sounding the way it does.

The magnetism for humbuckers comes from bar magnets, not slugs or screws. Only on single coils, P90s, and Fender's original WRHBs should the material of the slug/screw have any real effect.

• Members

The magnetism for humbuckers comes from bar magnets, not slugs or screws. Only on single coils, P90s, and Fender's original WRHBs should the material of the slug/screw have any real effect.

This is not correct. The screws, the slugs and pole shoe distribute the magnetic field supplied from the bars. The materials and shapes of the parts have plenty to do with creating tone.

Why would there be any difference between how a material reacts to a P90 compared to humbucker or hilo tron ...etc..?

But then again I only make and design pickups for a living. :thu:

• Members

This is not correct. The screws, the slugs and pole shoe distribute the magnetic field supplied from the bars. The materials and shapes of the parts have plenty to do with creating tone.

Why would there be any difference between how a material reacts to a P90 compared to humbucker or hilo tron ...etc..?

But then again I only make and design pickups for a living.
:thu:

I'll happily defer to you on this one and call myself wrong. Thanks for the info!

• Members

For a long time, I'm ashamed to admit, I simply thought that the screws were a way to balance the pup's string output. And actually if you split the coils and only use the screw coil that IS their primary effect. But in humbucker mode what adjusting the screws really changes is tone.

Try it! It really gives you a fair bit of control over the sound of your pups. You think your neck pup is too muddy? Screw the screws in (assuming that they are in the coil closest to the neck).

Hey, I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I thought it was primarily for balancing string to string output. But I find your thesis interesting. However, in that last scenario with your theory of altering coil output (versus just "string to string"), wouldn't having the screws out at the neck (even though they are closer to the neck) still result in less "mud" (assuming you also lower the pickup overall to compensate) since it would create more of an uneven coil wind dimension to the tone, i.e. making it sound a bit more single coil-ish? I would think that with the concept of altering the output between the two coils, that doing so in of itself would be more of a significant impact than the minor proximity distance difference to the neck between the screw and slugs. (?)

• Members

But then again I only make and design pickups for a living.
:thu:

LIsten to this guy, he knows his shit.

• Members

I'd bet if you took identical pups, put slugs in one & screws in the other you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in sound. Too many other variables involved that give a pup it's characteristics.

I can and so can many other people. You can tell the difference between two sets of screws or slugs made from different variations of steel in the same pickup. Or should I say I can tell and so can many many of my customers.

• Members

Hey, I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I thought it was primarily for balancing string to string output. But I find your thesis interesting. However, in that last scenario with your theory of altering coil output (versus just "string to string"), wouldn't having the screws out at the neck (even though they are closer to the neck) still result in less "mud" (assuming you also lower the pickup overall to compensate) since it would create more of an uneven coil wind dimension to the tone, i.e. making it sound a bit more single coil-ish? I would think that with the concept of altering the output between the two coils, that doing so in of itself would be more of a significant impact than the minor proximity distance difference to the neck between the screw and slugs. (?)

Hmmm, try it and let us know what you find! I have never dropped the pup below where I thought it gave me good signal overall, 'cause when I want single coil sounds, I split the coils.

• Members

This! ^

Most everybody understands that raising or lowering a pup changes the strength of the signal it puts out and also the tone to a certain extent. But most people seem to forget that the most effective way to alter the tone of a HB is the pole screws.

Simply put, when you move a pole screw you are affecting the relative amounts of signal for the 2 coils mostly affecting the closest string (the one under the screw). So generally, for a neck HB where the screws are closest to the neck, when you screw it out (up) you give the neckmost coil more relative output than the other coil and, since string tone gets mellower as you approach its middle, the pickup tone for that string gets mellower. Conversely, if you screw it IN, the neckmost coil's effect on tone is reduced and the tone gets brighter (or at least LESS mellow).

For bridge pups, the screws are typically closest to the bridge, so the effect of screwing in and out are reversed. When you screw the bridge pup screw out (up) the tone will get brighter, because in this case the screw coil is closer to the bridge so increasing its signal relative to the other coil increases brightness.

And you don't have to turn the screw much at all to hear the difference! I generally make my changes in 1/4 turn increments. The only time I do 1/2 or full turn changes is when I'm trying to make a drastic tonal change.

Now, you've just taken your first step into a whole new world!

Interesting stuff. I always thought they were used to balance the strings also. Never messed with them much.

I'm so ashamed :facepalm:

• Members

not always true - some companies do due magnetic slugs for their humbuckers and these really sound great.

• Members

Think about a DiMarzio Super Distortion that uses stainless steel allen bolts in place of screws. It's not a gimmick,
it is instrumental
in making the pickup sounding the way it does.

:)

• 9 years later...

Archived