Vox Ac30 or Fender Twin?

ColinLynch

• Members

that's a hard call. I have experience with both too. For really pristine cleans, the Fender Twin for me but if you want that jangly overdriven type of clean that the Vox delivers that works too. Both definitely have their strengths. It's a personal decision you'll have to make and it really depends on the type of music or artists you're trying trying to emulate. If you're going to be using a lot of overdrive I'd go with the VOX but if you're going to be playing clean a lot I'd go with a Fender. That's just my opinion and I'm sure someone will come in here and say the complete opposite later. It really just depends on your experience and ears. Both are great amps.

Before I forget, you need to take the type of guitars and pickups that you use into consideration as well.

• Members

I've not played through an AC30 but I have have borrowed an AC15. I voted but probably shouldn't have as I'm heavily biased in favor of the Twin Reverb. Each has their own distinct tone though.

You won't need a reverb or tremolo pedal if using a Twin Reverb. It takes an echo pedal well. Haven't tried a fuzz or distortion pedal.

• Members

Well damn, you sure can't go wrong with either, but I'm an AC30 guy all the way. I like it for effects better, but if you're just playing straight in, the Twin is incredibly beautiful. Not that the Vox isn't - I run mine with no effects all the time. Like I said, they're both great choices, and like others have said, they're both LOUD and HEAVY bastards. My AC30 is an older circuit with no master volume, and I like to REALLY drive it naturally, so it's usually played turned to 7 or 8, which is seriously ungodly loud.

• Members
vox has a magical shimmering chime that you can't get anywhere else.

He speaks the truth...just got done practicing through my Vox...and it just sounds so awesome...awesome enough that it edged out my Fender...and I sold it...awesome enough overdriven that I sold most of my pedals...

Play them both...with your own guitar...your ears will decide.

• Members

I have both a '72 Silverface TR w/master volume and an early 2000s AC30CC2 with master volume and Wharfedale speakers.

The Twin has really pristine cleans. I pulled the middle output tubes to help it get crunchy a little easier and it sounds really divine with the MV dimed with the channel volume around 6 or 7. If you have a master volume twin don't bother trying to overdrive the preamp because it sounds horrible. The reverb has more depth than you'll probably ever need and sounds out of this world.

The AC30CC2 can be played pretty clean. I prefer to play it with the MV low and the preamp volume cranked a bit. Unlike the Twin it sounds great configured like this and because of this the AC30 can be played dirty at much lower volumes than the Twin. The reverb is good but nowhere near the depth of the Twin. I guess you could say it is a little less spaced-out.

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose I would take the Twin. But I would miss the AC30 a lot. I'm not sure I would feel the same way if I had a TRRI instead of a silverface.

• Members

Both amps are iconic. The Twin has the glassy Fender clean thing, the Vox has the warmer, chimey thing. Personally, I prefer the AC 30. I like a little dirt at times on the clean tones. Twins have to be CRANKED to get even a touch of hair. Probably would get a Deluxe over the Twin.

• Members

I really like both, but other than both being heavy, loud 2x12s that have been around for a long time, they aren't terribly similar.

I'm more of a Fender guy... The Twin is a fine amp, but unless I was in a surf band or a country band, I think I'd lean towards the AC30. I owned a silverface Twin and currently own a Twin II. I've never owned an AC30, but I've played through them quite a bit and I've owned two AC15s. I haven't messed with many boutique pedals, but I've never quite found a gainy tone that I really bonded with with a Twin or a Deluxe whereas with an AC15, it's very easy to dial in a little gain on the amp, then run a Marshall Guv'nor or an OCD in the front and take it from Vox chime to Marshall roar, plus the AC15/AC30 is very capable of great cleans... they just aren't quite as sparkly as the Fender.

I don't see how you could go wrong with either amp as long as you know what you're getting, but I'll vote for the AC30.