Cheapest Fender/Squier Strat without a poly finish

slashfacepalm

• Members

You could always do your own refinish? It's not that difficult, it's fun and you could get exactly what you're after.

The last refinish I did was without a clear topcoat so as to get accelerated "natural aging". Although after a year the finish is still holding up well, there are a few spots where some wear is apparent with no thick ugly poly coat underneath.

:thu:

Yeah, I actually put together a Strat from a kit for highschool. I had a local painter do it in Mazda Metallic Silver for like $25. It turned out pretty good - he did primer, base, and clear.

I can't really use the body though because nothing matches up from Fender.

I might have to do that. Maybe snag a body from Warmoth with the sale going on.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I understood that. Just was posting that picture on some other forum, where the guy was attempting to freeze his pickups to get a colder sound, and I asked about using a flamethrower to warm up a guitar:

Then I noticed this thread.

P.S.

Musicians' community is weird... You asked for a cheapest Strat with nitro finish - and they speak about perception and tone. I suppose if I'll ask for a red Flying V, I'll start a flame war too... Because someone has stripped a finish on a red Flying V and it wasn't that red below, and someone other will shout about no perceivable tonal difference when red guitar was refinished in blue.

Yeah well, it can't be helped.

The internet has made it really easy for people to voice their opinion.

• Members

Yeah well, it can't be helped.

The internet has made it really easy for people to voice their opinion.

Doing it IRL can help it... Shame not that much people are brave enough to voice their opinion in real life instead.

• Members

Yeah, I actually put together a Strat from a kit for highschool. I had a local painter do it in Mazda Metallic Silver for like $25. It turned out pretty good - he did primer, base, and clear.

I can't really use the body though because nothing matches up from Fender.

I might have to do that. Maybe snag a body from Warmoth with the sale going on.

20% off on Showcase items.

Wow. Swamp Ash, Top Rout, Your Choice Tremolo Routing and Top Jack for less than $150. That is a really good deal. Walnut and Korina for less than $200.

s3996c.jpg

Archived