While My Guitar Gently Weeps guitar tone

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Yeah. I was just watching that concert on Tuesday and was thinking the same thing. Harrison's guitar is so much fatter and sweeter sounding, it drowns EC's anemic tone right out, and all George was using was four SF Champs.

• Members

Yeah. I was just watching that concert on Tuesday and was thinking the same thing. Harrison's guitar is so much fatter and sweeter sounding, id drowns EC anemic tone right out, and all George was using was four SF Champs.

And I believe Clapton has the Les Paul with which he recorded the solo on the Beatles record sitting right behind him on a stand. Maybe he was high or something, just about everyone was back then.

• Members

Honestly there doesn't seem to be anything special about the solo, it sounds like a Les Paul through a cranked amp, no effects except maybe some plate reverb on the mixdown (and/or the ADT); best guesses are it was a (cranked) Bassman head, certainly sounds like that to me. Paul got a Blonde Bassman head in '65 and it became a Beatles studio staple, they recorded more songs with that Bassman and any of other amp. Harrison became a huge fan bought one of his own and played mostly one Bassman or the other for the rest of the Beatles duration. It's believe EC used either Paul's or George's Bassman to record the track.

• Members

Maybe he was high or something,

Uh, yeah, it's pretty well known he was wacked out of his mind on heroin at the Concert for Bangladesh. And this from Wiki:

Clapton, for his part, recalls the time as a period of "retirement" and that "I really made it hard for myself" in the concert, choosing to play a hollow-body Gibson Byrdland guitar for the bulk of the songs, including his solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", when a solid-body electric guitar (such as a Fender Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul) would have been more appropriate.

• Members

There's definitely some sorta odd chorus effect goin on there, but did they have those then?
:confused:

Nope. The univibe introduce phase a few years later, and there was tape reel flanging, but chorus as we know it came around '74 or so.

What you may hear is the ADT, if you offset something with a super-short delay, you get a detuned effect which is the basis for flange/chorus. But, honestly, I don't hear much of it. What I hear is more like octaves bending out of tune with each other.

• Members

Eric played a Les Paul(some say it was the guitar he gave to George that became known as Lucy). The session was Sept.6, 1968 Between 7:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. in EMI Studio 2 at Abby Road. I remember an interview where George said he picked Eric up outside his house on the way to the studio. Eric was waiting outside with his guitar and amp for George. Since George drove cars with little storage, Minis, Astons, I doubt Eric brought a very big amp.

• Members

What's so funny about a blind guitar player ( now deceased ) ?

Your lack of respect is outweighed by your ignorance.

His name is Jeff Healey........

I think that this is about my favorite version of this song....Healey just kicks ass on this song. Raw emotion and mad guitar skills with a completely unorthodox style. Too bad he's gone.

This one will give you goosebumps also: SRV and Healey playing look at little sister:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqU9RZqvFKY&feature=related

Archived