Legal rights to live band recordings

mmmiddle

• Members

Our band is talking to a venue that records the band live as a bonus for the band. They provide the digital tracks to the band after the show.

However, they also keep the tracks for an indefinite period of time on their own hard drives. I'm worried that they will keep the recordings and use or release them later without our consent. Should I make them sign something that says they need our consent to do anything with the recordings, or is that already a right that is legally protected? In other words, would we be able to sue them if they decided without our consent to put out a compilation featuring one of our songs?

• Members

Technically, they aren't supposed to record anyone without asking them to first sign a release. Since you didn't, you could ask them for the recording master, and if they don't want to give it to you, tell them maybe they will give it to your lawyer.

Of course, you may not play there again....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i wouldn't make such a big deal out of it---sounds like they're doing it as a favor to bands. it's unlikely that they are going to officially release it and make any cash

Unless your band happens to get signed, or have a hit single, in which case the club owns an unauthorized live performance that they can do whatever they want with, potentially robbing you of income if it's a good recording and damaging your reputation if it isn't. There's a reason most concerts don't allow cameras or recorders. Artists want, and should have, control of what gets released to the public.

Archived