Lyre vibrola tuning stability

PanaDP

• Members

I love the looks of the lyre vibrola tailpieces. I'm thinking of adding one to my standard SG. I'm not much for big whammy moves, I just like to use it for a bit of vibrato.

Anyone have an axe with this tailpiece? How do you like it and how well does it stay in tune?

• Members

i have an original on an older sg. ive never had any problems with it and it ust to be an everyday player. I haven't pulled it out in a few years because I had already done 2 refrets on it so a 3rd is just pushing it..... if that gives you any idea of how well played it was

i dont know to much about the after market ones. i would assume with all the advancements in metal forgeing over the years it could only be better than the og

• Members

I don't know which exact tremolo you are talking about. Wether its the old school sideways tremolo on the old 61, 62 SG's or the Maestro tremolo on the 63's and beyond. Or maybe just a different name for them.

Anyways. I have a Maestro tremolo and it holds tune quite well. I have removed the bar from it since pretty much day 1 when I got it. Felt it was in the way somewhat and honestly didn't hold tune that well when I did use it. Always seemed to break strings when I used it. Myself I like it just for the looks of it. The SG seems naked without a classic tremolo like thew Maestro and the old sideways bar from the early 60's. But of course there's nothing wrong with a naked SG.

:thu:

HPIM1474.jpg

• Members

I had a 61 reissue with one. There was absolutely nothing I could do to keep that guitar in tune. Nothing. It wouldn't make it through one song. Too bad, as being a Frank Marino fan, I really like the look of those guitars, but based on my one experience, I wouldn't recommend it.

• Members

My Explorer has one and it keeps tune pretty well as long as you only use it for what it was intended - the small warble in sound, not a divebomb. When it does go out of tune though, a light tug up on the bar tends to put it back. It's an OK trem (and I agree looks great) but I'd go Bigsby if I were you. Hope that helps.

• Members

All I ever heard was that they were impossible to keep in tune.

I have one on my Sheraton and it stays in tune just fine. I guess if I went nuts with it the tuning would go out but it hasn't given me any problem.

I can pull up on it a bit or dive a little, it doesn't have a real wide range. It's fine for vibrato.

I got the thing off a new Epi SG. I have a Tusq nut and a harmonica bridge on the guitar. I just made sure the bridge and nut slots didn't bind.

Maybe I got real lucky.

If I have time today, I'll make a recording of it.

DSCN2500.jpg

Archived