Gibson Rated Worst Place to Work

Kellanium

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly.

except they're too spoiled and indoctrinated by horse{censored} lies of the "american dream" that they won't accept {censored} wages - so the work gets outsourced to china or given to illegal immigrants that'll do it for 2 bucks an hour and a cold bud lite tallboy at the end of the day ... all so they can load up their trailer parks with all the {censored}ty consumer goods they need to feel complete - but won't work for the {censored} money it costs to make it.

then they vote in corporate sympathizers because they're convinced they're upper class all because they have a $3000 TV bought on credit. all the while keeping that big business ass{censored}ing a-rollin.

orobouros. enjoy it, assholes.

• Members

except they're too spoiled and indoctrinated by horse{censored} lies of the "american dream" that they won't accept {censored} wages - so the work gets outsourced to china or given to illegal immigrants that'll do it for 2 bucks an hour and a cold bud lite tallboy at the end of the day ... all so they can load up their trailer parks with all the {censored}ty consumer goods they need to feel complete - but won't work for the {censored} money it costs to make it.

then they vote in corporate sympathizers because they're convinced they're upper class all because they have a $3000 TV bought on credit. all the while keeping that big business ass{censored}ing a-rollin.

I don't know what kind of trailer park trash you think America is made of, but you have it way wrong!

Pull your head out of the sand idiot and try to see that not everyone in America is like that!

But then again you sound so stupid in your post, I doubt you could even bring yourself to understand what differences there are in America so go SCREW YOURSELF idiot!

• Members

This is true. There is a huge disconnect between what colleges SAY they want you to learn, and what they actually teach you.

I'll give you an example: My uni extols the value of critical thinking. Last sunday, some bigwig at my uni sent out a 'safety alert' to everybody attending saying (and this is copypasta): "Due to the extreme icing conditions that are occurring
throughout the region and on campus
, all members of the campus community are asked not to drive or walk on campus." Emphasis mine.

The university weather policy
ONLY
takes into account conditions on campus. This is fact. I found it a little disconcerting that on a Sunday, conditions off campus are taken into account, but Monday-Friday, icing conditions only matter on campus.

So I sent off an email pointing this out. Suddenly I'm an asshole/smartass. Yet I have demonstrated my ability for critical thinking; pointing out hypocrisy.

Keep in mind, this is the same school where I was taught that the cuban missile crisis happened in 1969, and The first leader of soviet russia's name was Nicholi Lenin. This is the same University where a native spanish speaker can fail spanish I by not attending class three times. This university is {censored}ed.

Like the dude above me said, a bachelors is now the equivalent of a HS diploma; you are there to be indoctrinated. You're not going to school to learn, you're there to learn how not to rock the boat, how to follow orders, how to sit in a chair for 8 hours a day, and how to be a productive worker bee.

And you're going to pay for the privilege.

Y'know...I kinda agree and kinda don't agree. I just finished my first semester at my new college and I was thinking about how I've changed since the beginning of term. Honestly, the first thing that came to mind was the thought that I was loosing a bit of my individuality. I've been trying to decide since that thought whether or not that's been having a positive effect on me or not.

Before this semester, I partied a lot more, wasted a lot of money, time & brain cells. As of the last couple months, I've pretty much completely stopped drinking/doing drugs (aside from the occasional puff from the peace pipe) and started bring more pro-active. I also don't find the need to buy myself so much crap to be happy. I find myself with a greater sense of mental clarity.

I do agree with you on the learning how not to rock the boat & follow orders thing. I can see those ideals being fed to us the the grand scheme of things. But I'm just kinda buying into it in hopes that the degrees I get will help me work my way up the ladder so to speak & break out of the "lower class"

• Members

Why do you think companies are outsourcing? Nobody in the US wants to work on a {censored}ing assembly line.

This isn't true at all. Jut not at all. If a company opened up here in small town ohio and offered to pay $14 an hour I would GUARANTEE there would be between 10-15,000 applications in just a weekend.

You think that companies are outsourcing because they can't find workers?

In 2000 I worked as a CNC operator for a multi-national mega corporation. I made $20 an hour with great benefits, but the work was hard and the hours were long. I made enough to afford a small house, a used car, and put food on the table. They sent my work to Romania where the workers employed by the same company are making 30 cents an hour doing the exact same thing I was doing.

Is it good business? Yep. Is it {censored}ing this country? Yep, the rich are getting richer the middle class is collapsing and the poor are getting poorer.

College is the answer right? Go to college get a degree and everything is ok! I have more hours logged in college than probably anyone on this forum. I went for business and couldn't find a job anywhere in small town Ohio. Got a job in IT with my business degree, then went and got an IT degree and my company ended up slashing IT and sending the IT jobs to India. Now I can't find a job in IT or business. I don't have enough exp. utilizing the business degree and I'm overqualified in IT or they just want to pay you {censored}, new guy out of college, wages. Hell now I'm working on my third degree just hoping that when I graduate this economic {censored}pile will be behind me, and that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

• Members

I don't know what kind of trailer park trash you think America is made of, but you have it way wrong!

Pull your head out of the sand idiot and try to see that not everyone in America is like that!

But then again you sound so stupid in your post, I doubt you could even bring yourself to understand what differences there are in America so go SCREW YOURSELF idiot!

Step away from the keyboard slowly with your hands in the air.

Trailer park trash

• Members

College is the answer right? Go to college get a degree and everything is ok! I have more hours logged in college than probably anyone on this forum. I went for business and couldn't find a job anywhere in small town Ohio. Got a job in IT with my business degree, then went and got an IT degree and my company ended up slashing IT and sending the IT jobs to India. Now I can't find a job in IT or business. I don't have enough exp. utilizing the business degree and I'm overqualified in IT or they just want to pay you {censored}, new guy out of college, wages. Hell now I'm working on my third degree just hoping that when I graduate this economic {censored}pile will be behind me, and that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Hold steadfast, young padawan. You are beginning to realize the only value of a degree is for someone in an HR department.

• Members

This isn't true at all. Jut not at all. If a company opened up here in small town ohio and offered to pay $14 an hour I would GUARANTEE there would be between 10-15,000 applications in just a weekend....

This is where I was going with my post but it started to get a bit long. Doc's post was hopefully a failed attempt at humor.

• Members

wow, you made a great effort to prove everything i said. well done.

• Members

Hell now I'm working on my third degree just hoping that when I graduate this economic {censored}pile will be behind me, and that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Sorry to hear that man. I hope you are going for something that can't be easily outsourced and in an emerging field. Medical services is pretty hot right now.

• Members

This is where I was going with my post but it started to get a bit long. Doc's post was hopefully a failed attempt at humor.

General Electric was hiring 75 people a few months back and they ran out of applications in a couple hours. People were literally fighting to get applications. This economy is crazy, especially if you live in the rust belt. My county had damn near 17% unemployment at its peak a few months ago and now people are starting to fall off the unemployment bandwagon. There are people I know with masters in business fighting for $12 jobs so they can keep their house. My former boss is delivering pizzas.

• Members

Sorry to hear that man. I hope you are going for something that can't be easily outsourced and in an emerging field. Medical services is pretty hot right now.

Yep, medical field. It's the only shot I have without moving. My father is ill and I'm tied to this area.

Anyways not trying to have a pity party for myself but the post I was replying to just kind of irritated me a bit. No offense to anyone was meant.

• Members

General Electric was hiring 75 people a few months back and they ran out of applications in a couple hours. People were literally fighting to get applications. This economy is crazy, especially if you live in the rust belt. My county had damn near 17% unemployment at its peak a few months ago and now people are starting to fall off the unemployment bandwagon. There are people I know with masters in business fighting for $12 jobs so they can keep their house. My former boss is delivering pizzas.

yup- Corning glass opened a small facility here in Rochester a couple years ago. They had a couple hundred openings and had tens of thousands of applicants. After the Bausch and Lomb plant I worked at closed about 10 years ago the most senior engineer took a job selling furniture at Value City and the master machinist I worked with was stocking shelves at Walmart.

• Members

I read a report recently that about 70% of high school grads are now going to college. That's a LOT of folks looking for jobs in this economy.

The good jobs are out there, but as someone has pointed out, they are jobs which are hard to outsource, like plumber, auto mechaninc, HVAC tech, garbage collector, truck driver, cop, fireman, EMT, etc. The basic infrastructure type jobs. The 'I don't sit in an office' type jobs.

My son is a plumber. He works like a dog, often 7 days a week, but he is willing to snark around in filth and feces, etc. to make a living. If you think you're going to get a cozy, $75K job just because you have a political science degree, then you are living in OZ, not Kansas.

I work with a lot of folks who have degrees, but are happy to work with us non-college grads because it's a JOB. Better to be employed at a job which isn't related to a degree than have the degree hanging on the wall as you visit the soup kitchen and free clinic.

So if you're in college now, or recently graduated, then you have my sympathy because the job market really sucks, and you still probably have a lot of debt to pay off.

Sadly, you may well have to lower your expectations, which is certainly not in accord with the American Dream.

• Members

a college BA is the new high school diploma.

Ummm, yes and no. Some degrees are really not very marketable (and realtively easy to obtain), but not all BA and BS degrees fit your description. I have 2 BS degrees in engineering. They weren't the easiest things in the world to get, and definitley were deciding factors, in me getting my present job. As much as I hate to say it, the technical college/tech school degree/diploma, or apprenticeship is like the high school diploma of today, since it usually is the minimum education needed to get a decent paying job.

• Members

I read a report recently that about 70% of high school grads are now going to college. That's a LOT of folks looking for jobs in this economy.

A lot of that is because a high school diploma is valueless, due to the collapse of public education. It takes a two-year degree to convince an employer you can count to ten and spell "cat."

So you flood the colleges with non-collegiate students, supply and demand drives up tuition, the government pours grant and loan money in, supply and demand (of the money) drives up costs further. Rinse lather and repeat.

The student loan program should be replaced by a Manahattan-Project style drive to replace the current K-12 system. The overhaul should be performed by people with no education administration experience, since they have already proved themselves totally incapable of the task.

[/derail]

• Members

I totally agree with all points. I got to talk to the general manager of my company on a one on one basis about 6 months ago. His exact words, "A Bachelor's degree just lets us know you can pay attention to something for more than 10 minutes and once given orders you can do what you are told".

• Members

Archived