Gibson Rated Worst Place to Work

Kellanium

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

or the source for the story is from an anonymous internet site. might as well source 4chan for an article about ethics.

jesus, people are suckers.

Reuters source was Glassdoor, which is a p. well known review site.

buuuuuuuuut i'll let the do no wrong gibson defense force roll on.

• Members

or the source for the story is from an anonymous internet site. might as well source 4chan for an article about ethics.

jesus, people are suckers.

just so ya know that most of the people that work for Gibson cant afford the guitars they make. I know I had a friend that worked there some yrs back:thu::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

a place with completely anonymous "reviews" that requires no proof of employment whatsoever ... and is a subject many like to link/point to ... is fishy?

no way ... it's on the internet, it MUST be true.

Well normally I'd agree with ya but...

Playing in Nashville I met quite a few Gibson employees at the clubs. In fact, my bass player was dating a girl who worked there for a while winding bass pickups (if it's a Thunderbird bass made in '05 or '06, she probably wound the pups).

I heard the same stories from those folks when I asked if it was cool to work for a guitar making company (being a woodworker and chronic tinkerer I'd love to build guitars for a living).

They said Henry would fire anybody an a whim, throw huge temper tantrums, and treat the workers on the floor like foot fungus. One guy said he'd had 4 or 5 different supervisors in the span of a few months because they would be fired and none of them deserved it. Another guy told me he would have been better off at Taco Bell and probably made more money.

From all I was told firsthand, if you never want a raise, enjoy being treated like a moron, and know you'll be fired at any second, Gibson is the place to work.

(I still love my Les Paul Axcess but Henry needs to go.)

• Members

Gibson forces their employees to kill puppies while they make guitars. Also, while CNC and PLEK machines are magical guitar making devices in the budget world that require very little skill or hands-on from workers to produce perfect guitars, in Gibson factories, these same machines produce nothing but poor QC crap! I know all of this is true because I've read about it on countless guitar forums from sources that have never owned Gibson but have played millions of them in retail stores. I'm sure that NONE of these people resent the high prices associated with this iconic guitar company, so I have no reason to suspect that any of them have an axe to grind or would push their personal agenda. ;)

• Members

being a college graduate != being educated

This is true. There is a huge disconnect between what colleges SAY they want you to learn, and what they actually teach you.

I'll give you an example: My uni extols the value of critical thinking. Last sunday, some bigwig at my uni sent out a 'safety alert' to everybody attending saying (and this is copypasta): "Due to the extreme icing conditions that are occurring throughout the region and on campus, all members of the campus community are asked not to drive or walk on campus." Emphasis mine.

The university weather policy ONLY takes into account conditions on campus. This is fact. I found it a little disconcerting that on a Sunday, conditions off campus are taken into account, but Monday-Friday, icing conditions only matter on campus.

So I sent off an email pointing this out. Suddenly I'm an asshole/smartass. Yet I have demonstrated my ability for critical thinking; pointing out hypocrisy.

Keep in mind, this is the same school where I was taught that the cuban missile crisis happened in 1969, and The first leader of soviet russia's name was Nicholi Lenin. This is the same University where a native spanish speaker can fail spanish I by not attending class three times. This university is {censored}ed.

Like the dude above me said, a bachelors is now the equivalent of a HS diploma; you are there to be indoctrinated. You're not going to school to learn, you're there to learn how not to rock the boat, how to follow orders, how to sit in a chair for 8 hours a day, and how to be a productive worker bee.

And you're going to pay for the privilege.

• Members

This is true. There is a huge disconnect between what colleges SAY they want you to learn, and what they actually teach you.

I'll give you an example: My uni extols the value of critical thinking. Last sunday, some bigwig at my uni sent out a 'safety alert' to everybody attending saying (and this is copypasta): "Due to the extreme icing conditions that are occurring
throughout the region and on campus
, all members of the campus community are asked not to drive or walk on campus." Emphasis mine.

The university weather policy
ONLY
takes into account conditions on campus. This is fact. I found it a little disconcerting that on a Sunday, conditions off campus are taken into account, but Monday-Friday, icing conditions only matter on campus.

So I sent off an email pointing this out. Suddenly I'm an asshole/smartass. Yet I have demonstrated my ability for critical thinking; pointing out hypocrisy.

Keep in mind, this is the same school where I was taught that the cuban missile crisis happened in 1969, and The first leader of soviet russia's name was Nicholi Lenin. This is the same University where a native spanish speaker can fail spanish I by not attending class three times. This university is {censored}ed.

Like the dude above me said, a bachelors is now the equivalent of a HS diploma; you are there to be indoctrinated. You're not going to school to learn, you're there to learn how not to rock the boat, how to follow orders, how to sit in a chair for 8 hours a day, and how to be a productive worker bee.

And you're going to pay for the privilege.

Transfer now! Maybe the university system has gone downhill since I graduated, but that was not my experience at all.

• Members

Transfer now! Maybe the university system has gone downhill since I graduated, but that was not my experience at all.

You may still have hope in universities/higher education/humanity. I do not; it has been bred out of me.

I will give my university this: It is so bad there, I learned more than I would have if I had gone to a good university.

That whole cuban missile crisis in 1969 thing had an effect on me: It set me down the path of an internal philosophical discussion on the value of truth. There is no class - anywhere - that will teach you more about the world, society, and yourself, than a class that teaches you patently false facts.

• Members

Well there was a thread started on TGP that Gibson was being bought by someone other than Peavey.

I personally will treat it as just another Gibson rumor until I see concrete evidence that Gibson is being sold, but I gotta admit....the poor QC complaints...the raid over illegally harvested imported woods....and now the opinions of the employees as well as Gibson being branded the worst company to work for......and their money troubles......DOES make a person wonder.

Gibson fan boys will just blow it off as though it is nothing, but it is getting harder and harder to think that all of this stuff is simply...... "nothing"!

• Members

Gibson forces their employees to kill puppies while they make guitars. Also, while CNC and PLEK machines are magical guitar making devices in the budget world that require very little skill or hands-on from workers to produce perfect guitars, in Gibson factories, these same machines produce nothing but poor QC crap! I know all of this is true because I've read about it on countless guitar forums from sources that have never owned Gibson but have played millions of them in retail stores. I'm sure that NONE of these people resent the high prices associated with this iconic guitar company, so I have no reason to suspect that any of them have an axe to grind or would push their personal agenda.
;)

I disagree. Im sure Gibson is an awesome place to work and their CEO is a great man. All the negative reviews by the employees are just part of a big conspiracy to bash Gibson by losers who are jealous because they cant afford their guitars.

• Members
I disagree. Im sure Gibson is an awesome place to work and their CEO is a great man. All the negative reviews by the employees are just part of a big conspiracy to bash Gibson by losers who are jealous because they cant afford their guitars.

Spoken like a true fan boy who has his head in the sand.....great job!

• Members

thing had an effect on me: It set me down the path of an internal philosophical discussion on the value of truth. There is no class - anywhere - that will teach you more about the world, society, and yourself, than a class that teaches you patently false facts.

Boy, your university must really suck.

• Members

you are there to be indoctrinated. You're not going to school to learn, you're there to learn how not to rock the boat, how to follow orders, how to sit in a chair for 8 hours a day, and how to be a productive worker bee.

Not in my class. I may not be entertaining, but I don't indoctrinate, bark out orders, or expect students to be 'productive worker bees'.

Archived