Need help w/ vintage guitars (Westone, Aria, Electra)

Maker

• Members

So I've been shopping for a new guitar. I found some guitars from early to mid eighties that have the pickup configuration I am looking for: A humbucker with two single coils above it (I play indie metal). Before I can make a final decision, I need someone who knows alot about 80's guitars to help me out.

I did some research on a Westone Spectrum X1230

http://www.westone.info/xa1230.html

(what a great website btw) What very little information that I have been able to find about the Magnaflux pickups on this guitar seem to prove that not only are the pickups high quality, but that they also fit my needs very well. However I am having a very hard time finding information about these pickups and the spectrum was bought out from under me. There are some on sale on ebay but I'm determined to find something for around $200.

However there are a couple other companies that were made in the same renown Matsumoku (Japanese) factory as the Westone Spectrum.

the Aria had a Pro II series made in this factory around the same time.

Electra also had guitars made at Matsumoku. The pickups look very similar.

Does anyone know anything about Magnaflux pickups? Does anyone know what pickups were used on the Aria Pro II guitars (such as The Cat)? Does anyone know what pickups were used on the electra guitars in the late '70s -early 80's (such as the X199)?

• Members

They used quite a wide variety of pickups on those guitars, and bearing the age in mind, there's a good chance the originals have been changed along the way. I'd suggest you're best off finding the guitar you like in terms of design, materials and feel and then changing the PUs if they don't sound like you want. Keep the originals to go back in if you decide to sell it later.

FWIW I really like Matsumoku made guitars too (wish I could find another El Maya at a sensible price, like I owned in the early 80s).

• Members

I have a Westone Pantera Deluxe that had Magnaflux pickups in it. I swapped them out for Seymour Duncans, but I still have them. They were good pickups, and the SD's only helped the tone a wee bit. It's not the fault of the MF pickups though, I think the fact that the guitar is solid maple made it a little too bright.

Anyhow, I LOVE this guitar(two humbuckers, though most Pantera's have one humbucker and two singles like you mentioned). It's been my #1 axe since the late 80's. Some quality work came out of the Matsumoku plant, and many of their good guitars can be had for a really decent price. Keep looking.

Oh yeah, I've got a Westone Pantera bass too. I guess I'm a fan.

• Members

Happy first post:):cool:

Not a whole lot of info out there on them but in my experience all the stock pups I have encountered in the "uncle Mat" guitars have been good to go tone wise. I usually prefer them over the aftermarket stuff.

Doing a search (if you have not already) over at the "mat" site on magnaflux pups is prol' your best bet.....http://www.matsumoku.org/guitars.html

• Members

My first "real" guitar (not counting an Ovation Applause, and a Tiesco plywood guitar) was a red Electra-Westone Dynasty.

http://www.westone.info/cats/85dyndimflyer/us01.html

However, mine was rounded, whereas these are angular. I haven't seen one like mine since I sold it in 1990.

I changed out the vibrato with a Washburn Wonderbar, and I swapped out the pickups, opting to go with Seymour Duncans. I had 3 humbuckers, all on toggles. I remember really liking the sound of the middle humbucker.

• Members

Thanks guys,

Considering availability and price I will probably end up with a Pantera or a Spectrum. Maybe I will get Aria's The Cat if I can confirm that they are indeed Magnaflux pickups. I'll post pics and stuff later!

Archived