The Rossness

• Members
NZS-2_03.JPG
CONSTRUCTION Bolt-on
BODY American basswood w/ quilted maple top
NECK Maple 3pc, uneven ''C'' Shape
NECK WIDTH 1F : 41.5mm / 24F : 56mm
NECK THICKNESS 1F : 20.5mm / 12F : 22mm
FINGERBOARD Bird's eye maple, 12'' Radius(305mm)
FRET 24 / Medium (2.3mm)
INLAY ''NZ'' Logo w/ Black Dot
TUNER Sperzel trim-lok
SCALE 25 1/2'' (648mm)
NUT Bone
BRIDGE TonePros Lic. Locking C-TPFP bridge w /string thru body
PICKUP Seymour Duncan Zebra '59 RP & Custom Custom (H-H)
CONTROL 1vol, 1toggle (coil split), 3way Lever
PICKUP SWITCHING 2-Way Toggle S/W Down
Position1 : Neck
Position2 : Neck & Bridge
Position3 : Bridge
2-Way Toggle S/W Down
Position1 : Front Coil of Neck
Position2 : Front Coil of Neck & Rear Coil of Bridge
Position3 : Rear Coil of Bridge
HARDWARE CR (Chrome)
UNIQUE FEATURE 2-Way Toggle S/W Down
2-Way Toggle S/W Down

HBS_03.JPG
BODY Swamp ash
NECK Bird's eye maple, ''C'' Shape
NECK WIDTH 1F : 43mm / 21F : 56mm
NECK THICKNESS 1F : 21mm / 12F : 23mm
FINGERBOARD Bird's eye maple, 9.5'' Radius(240mm)
FRET 21 / Vintage (2.0mm)
INLAY Black Dot
TUNER Self locking
SCALE 25 1/2'' (648mm)
NUT Graph Tech Trem Nut
BRIDGE CFA-III
PICKUP BBLP(Rusty)/EG5B(Alnico)/BBLP(Rusty) (H-S-H)
CONTROL 1vol, 1tone, 5way s/w
PICKUP SWITCHING 5-Position
Position2 : Neck & Middle
Position3 : Middle
Position4 : Middle & Bridge
Position5 : Bridge
HARDWARE RS (Rusty Silver)
UNIQUE FEATURE 5-Position
Position2 : Neck & Middle
Position3 : Middle
Position4 : Middle & Bridge
Position5 : Bridge

KX_Custom_SBB_3.jpg
CONSTRUCTION Set-in
BODY Mahogany w/ flamed maple top w/ Natural Binding
NECK Maple 3pc, Modern ''C'' Shape
NECK WIDTH 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm
NECK THICKNESS 1F : 19.5mm / 12F : 21.5mm
FINGERBOARD Rosewood, 12'' Radius(305mm)
FRET 24 / Large (2.7mm)
INLAY 'V'' Shape Gray Pearl
TUNER Locking
SCALE 25 1/2'' (648mm)
NUT Graphite
BRIDGE TonePros Lic. Locking bridge (C-TPFP) w /string thru body
PICKUP Seymour Duncan SH1('59) & SH4(JB) (H-H)
CONTROL 1vol, 1tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle
PICKUP SWITCHING Coil Tap Push Down
Coil Tap Pull Up
HARDWARE BN (Black Nickel)
UNIQUE FEATURE Coil Tap Push Down
Coil Tap Pull Up

X_TH_03.JPG
CONSTRUCTION Thru-neck
BODY Mahogany
NECK Maple/Walnut 5pc, Modern ''U'' Shape
NECK WIDTH 1F : 43mm / 24F : 56mm
NECK THICKNESS 1F : 19mm / 12F : 21mm
FINGERBOARD Rosewood, 15 3/4'' Radius(400mm)
FRET 24 / Jumbo (2.9mm)
INLAY White Dot
TUNER Die cast
SCALE 25 1/2'' (648mm)
NUT Locking Nut w/ Retainer Bar
BRIDGE Double locking-II
PICKUP EMG 81/85 (H-H)
CONTROL 1vol, 1tone, 3way s/w
PICKUP SWITCHING 3-Position
HARDWARE BN (Black Nickel)
UNIQUE FEATURE 3-Position

M600T_BBB_3.jpg
CONSTRUCTION Set-in
BODY Mahogany w/ flamed maple top
NECK Mahogany, Modern ''C'' Shape
NECK WIDTH 1F : 43mm / 22F : 56mm
NECK THICKNESS 1F : 20mm / 12F : 22mm
FINGERBOARD Rosewood, 12'' Radius(305mm)
FRET 22 / Large (2.7mm)
INLAY Rectangular White Pearl w/ Abalone
TUNER Die cast
SCALE 24 3/4'' (629mm)
NUT Graphite Ivory
BRIDGE Wilkinson WVPC Tremolo
PICKUP EMG-HZ OPEN SA1(F) & TB1® (H-H)
CONTROL 1vol, 1tone (w/ push pull), 3way toggle
PICKUP SWITCHING Coil Tap Push Down
Coil Tap Pull Up
Position2 : Front Coil of Neck & Front Coil of Bridge
Position3 : Front Coil of Bridge
HARDWARE CR (Chrome)
UNIQUE FEATURE Coil Tap Push Down
Coil Tap Pull Up
Position2 : Front Coil of Neck & Front Coil of Bridge
Position3 : Front Coil of Bridge

and here's a company that sells them all for under $1000

http://www.9mileguitar.com/category.sc?categoryId=94

and just so you know,if you go with a schecter,ibanez,or esp,it's probably made in a cort factory anyway.take $700 of your budget,buy a high end cort,and spend the other $2100 on a custom mad Verellen or Ceriatone...just my $00.02

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Pacifica 1221m

all2037bl4.jpg

Pacifica 1412

46.jpg
Construction: Thru-body neck

Scale length: 25.5"

Neck: Maple/Mohogany

Fingerboard : Ebony

Nut width: 1.75"

Radius: 13.75"

Body: Flamed Maple/Mohogany

Vibrato system: RM-Proll

Pickups: American made pickups- Stacked Single Coil x 2 Humbucking x 1

Pickup switch: 5 Position 4 Pole

Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone

Dude if i had the money I would get a this pacifica 1412 any god damn day of the week. I've tried tons of shredders and none of them really made an impression on me quite like the couple that I've played before in my life. I'm low on money though so I can't afford it...however this initial bid price can be deceiving...last one I saw on ebay went for 1,300 when it started at a 400 dollar reserve. Anyway heres a couple vids with it...one with santana, one with this guy scott szeryk, and an interview with its designer (rick lasner) who at the time of the interview worked for Ibanez. I believe he still does now as a matter of a fact.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Pacifica-1412-Blond-Flametop-Guitar_W0QQitemZ350281068367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item518e60ef4f

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7GP1nV44fE&feature=related

http://www.novacron.com/index.php/main/view/rich_lasner_on_the_yamaha_pacifica_series/

• Members
DO'H.

However...

RG9570_front.jpg

Oh paper (in photos too) that's a spectacular guitar. However, in my hands, it's a cramp waiting to happen. Can't get along with the necks. No denying the quality though. If you can get along with an RG neck, they're amazing. i don't care for flame and binding on a shredder though. I like em simple. The RG1570 (or better, the RGR1570) is, to me, about the best you can buy in an RG.. I know there are higher models, but it's mostly the tops and inlays that set them apart.

• Members

I know you said no LTD's so how about an ESP ;)..

I recently bought a pre-2009 Horizon FR-II in STBK for about $2500 AUD (down from $3400 rrp!) and I think it is a fine guitar. These things are pretty easy to find in most oceanic regions and Europe but if I'm not mistaken the only non import models the US/various other regions get is the 2009 see through cherry with EMG's. Anyways here's some pics from a camera that probably has less megapixels than my mobile.

dsc03093p.jpg
(This may or may not be my groin region that the guitar is resting upon)

dsc03088m.jpg

dsc03089q.jpg

dsc03090l.jpg

dsc03091qn.jpg
(EEK! UNCUT STRING ENDS!)

It's got the whole arch-top/carved thing going on, although I can't really begin to even tell if it's just a veneer, there seems to be very little information about the cap thickness. The point is that it looks really pretty :love: Yay! It has similar features (well almost identical) to a sl-2h or sl3 soloist, ie, thru neck, 24 XL frets, OFR, the ability to have a ridiculously low action. After I had set this thing up for 11-54's the action sits at
I had also tried an SL3 and an SL2H (not that I had any intention of buying an SL2, those things are the better of 5 grand AUD) and I have to say I was more impressed by the FR-II (hence why I bought it over the SL3!). Despite being made of maple/alder this guitar isn't as bright as I thought it would be, and is actually quite 'middy'. I primarily use this for soloing and the sound it gives is quite full/smooth sounding, probably due to the XL frets/neck thru more than anything else.

The only things that I would personally change on this guitar is the radius; it's a 12 inch, and the neck; eww painted! Also, the fingerboard is lightly finished and feels slightly glassy, but I like it. The radius doesn't really bother me, you can pretty much do 3 semitone bends on the high E (that's all you'll get to with 11 gauges!) and not have it fret out. Had to fiddle with the neck relief in order to do so, but now I'm really happy.

Another guitar that I was super impressed by was one of the new Charvel's, specifically a so-cal model with dimarzio's in it. The feel of the quartersawn rock maple fretboard/neck is just amazing. Only thing I didn't like is that you actually had to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod, which is a major pain, especially when changing string gauges, natural/seasonal adjustments etc.

• Members

I do not envy you right now. There are so many options. And with some of the more appealing ones, you can't walk into a store and try out.

I went through this a while back. I decided to build a Warmoth because I could not afford what I wanted. But, never actually went through with it. Good luck.

• Members

...and an interview with its designer (rick lasner) who at the time of the interview worked for Ibanez. I believe he still does now as a matter of a fact...

Rich worked for Ibanez maybe 20 years before the interview took place. I don't know if he ever went back there. After Ibanez he worked for Yamaha, developing the Pacifica and Weddington series.

I had the 1421, identical to the one Santana is playing in the video. Great guitar. It is different than the 1412, which had tone chambers and a figured maple top. Rik Emmet used a 1412.

From what I recall, Santana managed to get an awful tone in the video you posted. I'll give it another listen later today, but when I saw it a while ago I was surprised by his tone on that guitar.

• Members

I know you said no LTD's so how about an ESP
;)

I recently bought a pre-2009 Horizon FR-II in STBK for about $2500 AUD (down from $3400 rrp!) and I think it is a fine guitar. These things are pretty easy to find in most oceanic regions and Europe but if I'm not mistaken the only non import models the US/various other regions get is the 2009 see through cherry with EMG's. Anyways here's some pics from a camera that probably has less megapixels than my mobile.

dsc03093p.jpg
(This may or may not be my groin region that the guitar is resting upon)

dsc03088m.jpg

dsc03089q.jpg

dsc03090l.jpg

dsc03091qn.jpg

(EEK! UNCUT STRING ENDS!)

It's got the whole arch-top/carved thing going on, although I can't really begin to even tell if it's just a veneer, there seems to be very little information about the cap thickness. The point is that it looks really pretty
:love:
Yay! It has similar features (well almost identical) to a sl-2h or sl3 soloist, ie, thru neck, 24 XL frets, OFR, the ability to have a ridiculously low action. After I had set this thing up for 11-54's the action sits at

I had also tried an SL3 and an SL2H (not that I had any intention of buying an SL2, those things are the better of 5 grand AUD) and I have to say I was more impressed by the FR-II (hence why I bought it over the SL3!). Despite being made of maple/alder this guitar isn't as bright as I thought it would be, and is actually quite 'middy'. I primarily use this for soloing and the sound it gives is quite full/smooth sounding, probably due to the XL frets/neck thru more than anything else.

The only things that I would personally change on this guitar is the radius; it's a 12 inch, and the neck; eww painted! Also, the fingerboard is lightly finished and feels slightly glassy, but I like it. The radius doesn't really bother me, you can pretty much do 3 semitone bends on the high E (that's all you'll get to with 11 gauges!) and not have it fret out. Had to fiddle with the neck relief in order to do so, but now I'm really happy.

Another guitar that I was super impressed by was one of the new Charvel's, specifically a so-cal model with dimarzio's in it. The feel of the quartersawn rock maple fretboard/neck is just amazing. Only thing I didn't like is that you actually had to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod, which is a major pain, especially when changing string gauges, natural/seasonal adjustments etc.

I had a chance to play that one, a red quilt top at a store called "RT 1 Guitars". The ESP had no mojo for me. I also sincerely despise the EMG 81. Why can't ESP import some of their japanese models to the usa? I'd love to find an Akira Takaski (the guy form Loudness) sig or one of those carved Alfee axes.

• Members

Oh paper (in photos too) that's a spectacular guitar. However, in my hands, it's a cramp waiting to happen. Can't get along with the necks. No denying the quality though. If you can get along with an RG neck, they're amazing. i don't care for flame and binding on a shredder though. I like em simple. The RG1570 (or better, the RGR1570) is, to me, about the best you can buy in an RG.. I know there are higher models, but it's mostly the tops and inlays that set them apart.

The Prestige Wizards are way too thin for me.

• Members
I had a chance to play that one, a red quilt top at a store called "RT 1 Guitars". The ESP had no mojo for me. I also sincerely despise the EMG 81. Why can't ESP import some of their japanese models to the usa? I'd love to find an Akira Takaski (the guy form Loudness) sig or one of those carved Alfee axes.

cool esp japan stuff-
as2.jpg
sexyfinger_v2.jpg
randomstar.jpg
kiko_loureiro.jpg

• Members

Funny you should mention the EMG equipped version, my dealer had one for $200 more than my model. When I inquired about the differences it turned out the body wings were mahogany on the EMG version (vs alder) and it didn't have coil taps. So not only did I save 200 bucks, I got coil taps and non crap pups!

I think all the others have mentioned the other great shredding guitars. Maybe your best bet is to find a small custom builder like you said. The only limiting factor would be cash of course, but the really good ones will usually work with you to create something YOU want.

Also... the headstock on that orange/gunmetal explorer-esque guitar frightens and confuses me.

• Members

I tend to prefer bolt-ons over neck-throughs, and a few of the guitars I like are,

Caparison Dellinger for something a bit "out of the ordinary"

Washburn N4 because they're simply amazing. I like the padauk ones the best, but all of them sound fantastic. You might want to see about the Koa topped 20th anniversary model.

But if you don't want rosewood, I'd recommend hunting down an older Ibanez JEM , the white one with the ebony board. I know you said you didn't fancy an Ibanez, but I think these are great. If your budget allows the JEM10 is a fantastic guitar, but the pickup chrome wears really easily o you need to budget for me pickups too if you want it to look as good as it plays.

• Members

I'd hunt down a early 80's B.C. Rich... actually that's exactly what I did
:thu:

Octmock3.jpg

its easier for me to list what I (kind of)didn't like about it... at first I wasn't that hot into trems either, but kahlers are easy to get into and just don't seem to give me the same problems I hear about floyds. I like kahlers now so its cool afterall, I wouldn't change it.

Has anyone ever played any of Bernie Rico Jr's. Guitars. They look to be super high quality. For those who've played them, how are they?

Archived