• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For that amount there are so many options:

Suhr

T. Anderson

Zion

I can't recommend Carvin enough though. I have 5 and they all play so damn smooth.

An overlooked newcomer is U.S. Masters.

Custom guitars with several options, although a lot less than Carvin.

I have one Vector now (am expecting a second tomorrow) and the craftsmanship is very high, great neck joint and fretwork with a thicker neck than most, but a great shape to it.

I'd also throw a Robin Medley in your mix too. Top notch everything on these.

• Members

Another vote for Carvin and US Masters.

I just got a Floyd Rose, and I'm impressed. Mine is a model 3, but here's a new Model 4 at a very attractive price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLOYD-ROSE-REDMOND-MODEL-4-USA-ELE-GUITAR-STRAT-ORANGE_W0QQitemZ310182710384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4838548c70

The negatives:

Beat up case.

Initial set up is a pain.

No tone knob.

Special strings.

Support is allegedly poor.

The positives:

Price.

Workmanship.

Feel.

Changing strings in a matter of seconds.

Mine arrived with a scratch and I had the chance to return it. I decided to keep it.

With your budget perhaps you can also get a Phil Collen or a Gary Kramer Cathedral. I don't recall the prices, but those are supposed to be great. I don't recall if Gene Baker is making "shred" guitars, but I would check him and Driskill as well. Used ones may be within your budget.

• Members

My own Soloist is a pre-Fender. Yeah, it's quite a guitar I must admit.

Interesting, if you check my aliensporebomb myspace the track "Eta Carinae" is the Soloist. The neck is surprisingly not a super thin one, it's actually slightly thicker than most of my other guitars, more like a "medium thin" neck. I think that's partially why the tone is so thick on this one.

Another thing, when I got it back from the luthier (he did a bunch of work just to insure it would be golden for the next ten years: fret leveling, action, replaced the OFR posts with beefier ones, buffed out the top, cleaned and checked electronics etc) and it seemed to sustain a lot longer than it ever did before.

I laid down a test solo on a ballad section of a suite I'd been working on and it just didn't want to stop sustaining at all. Excerpt from unfinished track:

http://pod.ath.cx/guitars/soloist/asb-SL2.mp3

0.jpg

• Members

Warmoth?

MP149A.jpg

I was going to post that exact same body :thu:

along with something like this neck (ebony/walnut)

VMS2579A.jpg

Warmoth currently has a 20% off sale for their showcase items :thu:

If you can put it together yourself Warmoth guitars can turn out amazing! and you can do almost anything you want.

• Members

USA Dean goodness

USAVM2KTRD.jpg

I've been in contact with a dealer who is willing to make me a deal on the 84' modern. Basically, It's the same axe minus the quilt top. And unlike the VinnMan, I could get it for $999. Only problem is that I've heard from dean owners that the neck is Ibanez thin.

• Members

I was going to post that exact same body
:thu:

along with something like this neck (ebony/walnut)

VMS2579A.jpg

Warmoth currently has a 20% off sale for their showcase items
:thu:

If you can put it together yourself Warmoth guitars can turn out amazing! and you can do almost anything you want.

If I went the Warmoth route, does anyone know of any good luthiers in Connecticut who could help me with assembly and routing for a floyd?

• Members

You might want to keep your eyes open for Hamer USA built shredders. They don't build them anymore so you'd have to be willing to go used. Many of them are fairly run of the mill, but there are some custom jobs, special editions and such that are really sweet.

• Members

Don't settle, get the best. Hamer USA Californian
:rawk:

Besides that, I'd look into Blackmachine guitars.

The funny thing is, that the Hamer factory is just down the road from my house (20 miles or so). Maybe i can go there and have them build me a floyded firebird type axe.

• Members

What's the deal with Carvin's not holding their value very well?

In my experience it's pretty much the same as with any other brand. In fact, I told the guy who bought my DC400 Koa that he could buy a new one for just a few hundred dollars more. He said he wanted mine, and I can't complain about its resale value.

If you order one with cosmetic options such as abalone inlays and a nice quilted top you may get a bigger hit on resale, but I've found the same to apply to other brands.

Archived