Looking for a cheap *Jazz* Guitar

rock-lobster

• Members

Like solo-jazz type stuff, and i would hope it would be good for bebop too.

I don't like jazz out of a strat or tele. I'm looking for something geared in the jazz direction (though it doesn't have to be a straight up jazzbox).

You want something big and hallow with some flatwounds on it, and a hot neck pickup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Refin-Archtop-w-Pick-Up-HOT-ROD_W0QQitemZ260509872897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ca7993301

I'm not really sure what that thing is or why its 600 bucks, but thats the right idea.

EpiphoneVolpe.jpg

• Members

Here is a tip on a great cheapo jazz box. Find a Dean Stylist! I just bought a Stylist Deluxe and I am very impressed. They go for under 300 on Ebay and they are pretty terrific. They have a solid spruce top, and sound pretty lively acoustically. I find the neck to be terrific - thin with a shallow profile, great playability. The pickups are certainly serviceable eventually you might want to change them for Duncan Antiquities or Gibson '57s but you don't have to. Pictures to follow.

• Members

My recommendation in order of preference:

Highland Royal - relatively unknown brand means you get way more for your money. This model is a 335 copy which will give you a great jazz vibe (especially using the neck pup) but is versatile enough to cover other styles as well. Available under $400 w/a very nice hardshell case on eBay all the time.

Any hollow or Semi Epiphone - Yep, very good guitars with a wide range of models stocked in GC and other music stores so you can give them a few a spin and pick one out which fits you perfectly.

Ibanez Artcore - I love the feel of these but the pickups on a few of the models left me wanting more (but it could've also been crap old strings on the guitars). One minor thing for me is I don't care for their f-hole design. I'm not a traditionalist, just don't care for the rotund middle of the carve.

Jay Turser - I had one of the 335 copies for a while and while the construction was solid the guitar was pretty neck heavy and the electronics were junky with an extremely compressed tonality. The upside is these would likely be the most affordable option allowing you to have money left over to sub out the electronics.

Archived