I have a busted Champ 600. Help me build in a classic circuit!

Samnite

• Members

OK, so I fried my Champ 600 a few months ago (output tranny). That's OK. I never liked the sound that much anyway. What I really want to do is get in there, rip everything out, and use the chassis to build my own classic Champ (or Harvard, or Princeton, or whatever).

So, what's the "best" classic Champ circuit, IYHO? Others?

I'd like to keep it simple, since this will be my first amp build. I don't want to build in a 6-channel metal beast with independent EQ's, etc. I'd like to keep it in the realm of "one volume knob, and that's it", or something similarly simple.

• Members
Fix it and mod the circuit in it.

DO NOT buy expensive transformers!

Champ600003.jpg

I really want experience in building a PTP amp. I don't want to use the circuit boards that are already in it. As for the transformer, I can get my hands on a selection of free ones, so that's not really a problem.

• Members

I know that you are looking for a cool project, but I'd also go with a good OT (I love Tom Weber's stuff...RIP) and then upgrade a few components.

It just sounds like you want a Champ 600 that sounds a bit better and you can do it without starting from scratch.

BUT, if you do go with a complete build make sure that you make a thread so those of us here that are scared, incompetent or lazy can live vicariously. :thu:

• Members

I know that you are looking for a cool project, but I'd also go with a good OT (I love Tom Weber's stuff...RIP) and then upgrade a few components.

It just sounds like you want a Champ 600 that sounds a bit better and you can do it without starting from scratch.

BUT, if you do go with a complete build make sure that you make a thread so those of us here that are scared, incompetent or lazy can live vicariously.
:thu:

No no no. That's not the point. I WANT to do a complete build. I really do want to tear out all the guts and replace the whole dang thing with my own hand-wired PTP effort.

So, 5E1? 5F1? Non-champ? Other?

• Members

I'd suggest whizzing over to AX84.com and looking up the schema/plans for a P1 Extreme. It's faintly similar to the champ, but usually has a TMB tone stack. However this can be bypassed (i.e. omitted completely) along with the master volume if you wish, for a single knob amp with excellent tone (the gain control becomes the volume). Since you're stuck with a single 6" speaker the amp can be tweaked to bring out the bass/lower mids to compensate.

The guys at AX84 are great - really knowledgeable and helpful.

• Members

No matter what you do you have that 6" speaker holding you back.

I know what you are trying to do but it ain't going to be that much different after a lot of expense and work.

Oh for the love of God. Never {censored}ing mind. I'll figure it out myself. Why is it that everybody can post negative, cautionary notes, but nobody can just, y'know, play along and answer the OP?

By the way, the speaker's no particular problem. I may just take it out and use the amp as a 5W head.

(Ancient Mariner, ugameus - thank you.)

• Members

What kind of sound are you after. Lots of different Champ circuits out there and they ll sound kinda different. You want a nasty, gnarly tweed, or a blackface, or????

Will that power transformer have the tap needed for a rectifier, or do you need a separate one for that?

Tale a look at Weber's kits....you should be able to get one without various things (cab, etc.) and stuff it in your chassis....

• Members

Keeping it simple doesn't entail getting rid of 99% of a working amp and building a circuit from scratch yourself. So there.

But if that's what you want to do, I would get a turret board from the turret board place for a VJr, and then design around that.

Most single pre single pwr tube amps are VERY similar, that's why you'll be reinstalling 80% of what you remove.

So good luck.

Archived