Help me pick up my first guitar!

soumya

• Members

Welcome to Harmony Central! Though I'm a newbie myself, I've been told it is better to buy a cheap electric than a cheap acoustic. But your dedication will likely be a larger influence, you can learn anything if you make an effort.

As for that specific electric guitar, I can't be much help on that issue, but would you mind if I asked what sound you are looking for? That could be helpful information for those looking to give advice.

• Members

Pretty much all you need.
Yamaha is good stuff at all price points.
You'' probably need a bigger amp after a while when you start playing with a band, but for the 1st yr or so, this one will be fine.

As far as elec vs. acoustic, makes no difference.
Its up to you and the kind of music you want to play.

BTW the Yamaha FG series is a good budget acoustic as well.

• Members

Electric / Acoustic are two really separate instruments, obviously closely related but one is not necessary to study before the other. Play whichever you want to learn to play. If you like music featuring electric guitar, play that. Acoustic, vice-versa.

In regards to the guitar itself, I am finally upgrading from my EG-112 (similar) - its a decent guitar for the price but you will outgrow it. Converting the currency though, that set is overpriced in my opinion, should be about 30 percent less than that in price, maybe. Especially if its produced locally/no shipping.

If you already have ANY piece of the set (an amp or tuner), I'd say bypass the kit but if you're just starting out, the set might work for you. I upgraded my amp fairly quickly (and upgraded the tubes in my new one since then) as the amp is a simple solid state that will not produce that great of a sound (and forget about the amp's onboard distortion).

• Members

Ask around "who is the best band/guitarist in the area.
Go see the band and ask him between sets what he knows.
Guitars are a funny thing...
I had Virgil Lay (the guy that used to do Joe Walsh's guitars) do my guitars.
I learned that no matter what guitar you are after, you will have to pay an expert luthier to "dial it in" (set it up)... unless you luck out.
Like Robin Trower said... "I can walk into a music store and try 10 guitars, the same model, and one of them will be the BEST"...

I can say that of all the guitars I have met, the Ibanez Steve Vai/ Gem is ridiculously perfect, right off the shelf!

Archived