GFS Pickup to put in my Tele

100wattamp

• Members

I was looking at these since they're cheap and have a lot of variety. Currently I have the GFS Fatbody and I find it's way too honky, country. I would like a bridge pickup that still sounds like a Tele, but has a bit more versatility. The Fatbody despite it's name almost has a bit of a low end cut especially compared with the bassy neck pickup. It also lacks the nice single coil sparkle thanks to the overpowering honk.

I liked the GFS 50s pickup, the one they put in their stock Teles when I heard it, but I'd like something maybe a little higher output and more versatile(and less 50s, I like the sound of 60s/70s and modern Teles).

I'll look at other pickups as long as they're a similar price.

Was looking at this -

http://store.guitarfetish.com/re19hotalteb.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/re19tealbobr.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/altebrpivivo.html

The 60s could be a good bet for Versatility but 9.6k seems overkill for a Tele, and I want to make sure I have lots of high end sparkle.

• Members

IIRC the pickup baseplates on the GFS tele pups are brass. Here is some good info on baseplates from the Tele forum.....http://www.tdpri.com/resources/tele-bridge-base-plate-materials/

Also, Generally speaking the higher the resistance the less highs and more mids a pup will have. Saddle type will also effect the tones. Steel is bright where as brass is mellower and rounder in comparison. The pot value will also effect the tones...the higher the value the brighter, especially with the volume pot. You may find that moving up to a higher value volume pot will add the highs you seek with teh pups you already have in there.

I have a Broadcaster style pup in my Tele. It rocks but still has a "tele tone" to it.

• Members

I have a 50s and a 60s and, yes, the 60s is like a beefier 50s. Both great pups, just depends on what you're looking for. For my ESP that I'm trying to make as trad Tele as possible the 50s is perfect and for the more "rock" Tele that I regularly use live the 60s is better.

• Members

I'm kind of stuck as to what I want. On one hand I want a more useful all round Rock/Classic metal kind of sound, but I also want a snappy clangy Tele kind of sound.

Basically, I want it to sound more punk than country. Modern teles especially sound a bit more Punky. I'm worried as to whether that 50s pickup I posted would be a bit too "country" sounding like that Fatbody I had.

Also how are the Neovins?

• Members

I'm kind of stuck as to what I want. On one hand I want a more useful all round Rock/Classic metal kind of sound, but I also want a snappy clangy Tele kind of sound.

Basically, I want it to sound more punk than country. Modern teles especially sound a bit more Punky. I'm worried as to whether that 50s pickup I posted would be a bit too "country" sounding like that Fatbody I had.

Also how are the Neovins?

I have a xaviere tele (820) with the stock pickup and I also recently bought a classic vibe. AND I more recently got a brand new MIM standard telecaster.

if you want "punky" the MIM pickup is very well suited to it. it's quite noticably hotter and more mischievous than either of the other two teles I mentioned. The xaviere is very tinny and bright and the weakest sounding of the three (IMO). the CV sounds like a vintage tele. the MIM is hotter and more modern and distorts the best of any of them. honestly, I've tried many guitars and many pickups in my day, adn there's nothing wrong with this MIM pup. it's top notch, IMO.

you could track down a MIM bridge pickup for perhaps even less than those GFSers -- don't quote me on that though because I haven't looked into it. just a hunch.

edit: this looks to be it and it's cheaper than GFS. http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Standard-Telecaster-Bridge-Single-Coil-Pickup_W0QQitemZ380188952280QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item58850706d8

• Members

Yeah, was considering it.

The thing is there's a very specific kind of clangy breakup at low gain I only get with Single coils, that I don't get as much with the Fatbody pickup. I don't know how to describe it, but you get it with Vox and especially Fender type amps.

• Members

I have one of the older Xavieres from maybe 5 years ago that came with a Fatbody in the neck and the 60s bridge pickup. The Fatbody is neck and neck (pardon the pun) as my favorite neck tele pickup I've ever tried. I also really like the Nocaster neck pickup.

The bridge is OK. Doesn't really blow my hair back, but it's plenty bright, plenty twangy and I have no doubt many folks would like it very much. I definitely like the bridge Nocaster pickup and the Baja tele bridge pickup more, but not enough to buy one to replace the GFS 60s.

I'd strongly suggest you ensure the pots are quality CTS 250k pots and I'd strongly suggest you swap the tone cap to a .022 if it isn't already.

Archived