USA Fender Strat Saddles - what goes where

slashfacepalm

• Members

So, I ordered a new block for my US Strat, and took all the saddles off to do so thinking they were all the same.

However, there are different spring heights and different allen screw heights.

Which goes where? Is it ascending, descending, scattered? These are what I have.

bcd0_10.JPG

TIA.

• Members

Awesome, thanks. So what trust1234 posted, was that in reference to the spring lengths?

No. Where the string saddles should be in the slots/saddle tracks.

In that picture, the saddles are at their 'nearest to the neck' position (between the set screws) and can only travel away from that position. A screw driver turning clockwise makes that saddle travel away from the neck.

What t1r2u3s4t sent was what the saddle pattern generally looks like. They would still need tweaking for the truest accurate intonation you can get.

The springs are there I suppose to prevent the saddles from moving on their own. If for some reason you have to travel way far back, the spring might be in the way.

• Members

When you took the old ones off you should have measured them to see where you needed to set the intonation screws (the ones with the springs) and then just fine-tuned them. You'll just need to check your intonation and work a little more to get them where you need them. As far as the string height set screws, you'll need to adjust your action to your liking. I usually set mine at about 2mm at the low E to 1.5 mm at the high E on the last fret. That's another thing that should have been measured before you took the old saddles off.

• Members

Regarding the height of the saddles, couldn't you just measure the ones you've taken off? If nothing else it should give you a good starting point.

As for the intonation/lengthwise adjustment trust1234 is right, but ust to show you a picture.
sd_as_a.jpg

• Members
Regarding the height of the saddles, couldn't you just measure the ones you've taken off? If nothing else it should give you a good starting point.

As for the intonation/lengthwise adjustment trust1234 is right, but ust to show you a picture.

sd_as_a.jpg

I'm using the same saddles.

That pic actually helps alot. I think I have it right now, using bits and pieces from everyone's posts. However, now I notice the plating coming off. :(

• Members

Yeah, that's the thing though. Fender thought it'd be cool to use different spring lengths and different allen screw heights - therefore making one saddle more adjustable than another. I know what I should have done, but I'm trying to move forward instead of knowing what I should've done.

I understand. Didn't realize the springs were that much different in lengths. As far as the set screws go, the longer ones will go on the D and G strings and the shorter ones on the E strings......to match the arc of the fretboard.

Hope you get it all worked out with little trouble.:thu:

And yeah, I know it can be bothersome to hear about what you should have done. Sorry 'bout that.

• Members

So, I ordered a new block for my US Strat, and took all the saddles off to do so thinking they were all the same.

However, there are different spring heights and different allen screw heights.

Which goes where? Is it ascending, descending, scattered? These are what I have.

bcd0_10.JPG

TIA.

Why a new block? Just curious.

• Members

I understand. Didn't realize the springs were that much different in lengths. As far as the set screws go, the longer ones will go on the D and G strings and the shorter ones on the E strings......to match the arc of the fretboard.

Hope you get it all worked out with little trouble.
:thu:

And yeah, I know it can be bothersome to hear about what you should have done. Sorry 'bout that.

Yeah, that's how it ended up. :) I actually left the A and B saddle on so I wasn't completely starting from scratch.

No worries, best thing is I know what to do next time. Learning from mistakes is life.

Archived