What kind of guitar players live in your city?

mikey4402

• Members

My town has a strange mix of players. Most of the players around here are all blues guys and play the local waterholes every night, then theres some decent metal guys(not much), and an over abundance of crappy metal guys who hang out at GC, and then you got guys writing humorous funk,rock,blues Bob and Tom type songs. There is some talent where I live, but theres not many places to gig.

• Members

Portland Oregon. Every possible kind of bands from punk alternative to electronica mainstream. We have a huge blues population, with one the largest blue fests in the world. We also have a huge granola folk scene that accounts for 97% of all Fender acoustic guitars that are sold in the US:facepalm: Oh, did mention we have some of the best micro brews on the planet:thu:

• Members

Portland Oregon. Every possible kind of bands from punk alternative to electronica mainstream. We have a huge blues population, with one the largest blue fests in the world. We also have a huge granola folk scene that accounts for 97% of all Fender acoustic guitars that are sold in the US:facepalm: Oh, did mention we have some of the best micro brews on the planet:thu:

You tell em Doc:thu:

I lived on the East Coast for 4 yrs and our local coverband scene kicks all kinds of major ass.Then again Portland is a Major indy city as well:thu:

• Members

Around here, seems like it's mostly old white guys like me. This area is at least 80% Hispanic and they don't seem to have the same passion for rock or blues.

There's an incredibly cool Latino rockabilly/lowrider scene but I don't know how active it is. Judging from the looks some of the cholos were giving me, I'm not sure I was welcome at the show I went to.

• Members

Minneapolis/St. Paul area here. Very diverse music scene. Blues, Jazz, Rock, Funk, Metal. Everything under the sun. Latley it seems like live music venues haven't been as good as the late 80's early 90's but maybe that's just me. The music scene here was increadible back then. Still some great bands floating around to check out.

• Members

There's a fairly large blues scene here with The Yale Hotel and other Hotel beer parlours with jam nights.. Also a fair bit of R&B Funk stuff in the "A" rooms. Close to the hospitals where all the nurses go.

Down around Main Street, (I think DLR was writing about this seedy street) there's a lot of punk venues. The punk scene is sort of huge in Vancouver still. I'm not a punker but I can't help but notice all the punk bands playing around the seedy parts of downtown. If you come to Vancouver, just pick up "The Georgia Straight" newspaper, (it's free) and it'll tell you what's happening and where.

Vancouver has a lot of guitar players. It's always been a Port of Call for a lot of big bands. Split between Long & McQuade Music and Tom Lee Music stores, Vancouver and the surrounding area is able to support about 7 large music stores. There's lots of different tastes. It's just that the blues, punk and funk scene have the most gregarious crowds who like to go out and spend money and this is the bottom line.

In the blues scene,...it's like gunfighters in the old west. There are a lot of guys who think they're really hot. They came to duel. Not duette. The better ones can almost nail duet harmony the first time. So,...he who has the most tricks in his bag, wins.

Those guys sort of cheat because they practice. They've already got Reeling In The Years and Hotel California harmony leads nailed. And the rest of that EVH BS too. Yeah,...we've got the 13 year olds who can play Crazy Train at the local music stores. Yawn. They grow up to be guit slingers. "Who's the fastest? I'm gonna blow him away!"

Life in the big city, where ever you are is what it is!

Vancouver is a place where G3, Jeff Beck, Chickenfoot, and other musician's musicians come to play sold out shows. It's my town and I'm partial to bragging about it. I've seen a lot of major shows here. And great guitarists are appreciated.

Archived