Bo Diddley, Billy Gibbons and the Billy-Bo

Vendor Defendor

• Members

I'm trying to identify the guitar in this video...

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I cant really seem to find a solid answer, what I've mostly gotten is that its a custom made Gretsch. I've really be GAS-ing for a Billy-Bo but the $2,500 price tag is a little rich for my blood, and was really shocked to find that guitar is made in Japan, I figued for that cost it would be an USA guitar.

Any ideas on what that guitar is in the video? I'm thinking a Guild Jetstar might be a more reasonable alternative

• Members

As Charles says, it's a custom-made Jupiter Thunderbird, on which the Billy-Bo is based.

As far a "Guild Jet Star" goes, the old '60's Guild guitar that is somewhat similar is also called a Thunderbird, a/k/a an S-200:

guildthunderbird.jpg

The Jet Star is part of the defunct DeArmond line rather than an actual Guild (although it was sorta "DeArmond by Guild" and had "Guild" on the truss rod plates), made in Korea rather than the US. It is based on the old Guild Thunderbird (see the headstock inlay). Here's my Jet Star:

64187965_109d547812_o.jpg

And yes, my Jet Star gets confused for a Billy-Bo on a regular basis.

• Members

How do you like that JetStar? I see them going on ebay for a lot cheaper then a Billy-Bo. Any idea how the two compare in sound?

I have no idea about the sound comparison.

That said, my Jet Star is one of my favorites, despite being a relatively inexpensive Korean guitar. (I do own a number of USA guitars as well, including a couple Gibbies, a Ric, a Hamer, Fenders, etc.) The humbuckers on it are called DeArmond Gold Tones and were made in the Fender plant in the USA and shipped over to Korea to be put in the guitars as they were built there. They're PAF-type alnico magnet pickups, slightly brighter in tone than most. The body shape is surprisingly comfortable and not too heavy. Tonally in the Les Paul ballpark.

I have a lot of great gig memories with my Ruby.

101502BKleanBack.jpg

redcrossSDBKair.jpg

11704all3.jpg

Porpoise3-8-01BKsolo.jpg

PS-- the lead singer in my side band has a Jet Star just like mine that he never plays since he got his Ric 4 or 5 years ago, if you're interested he would probably sell it

• Members

I've heard people raving about those DeArmond GoldTones

They are really nice pups, especially for a "budget" guitar. A lot more clarity than one usually associates with HB's. I have previously owned a DeArmond M-72 and M-75 also with Gold Tones, but those are more LP-shaped, and since I have a couple Gibby Les Pauls, there was no real need to hold onto them since they didn't sound markedly different in the M-series than they did in the Jet Star.

Archived