Calling guitarists who play bass too - advice

Ancient Mariner

• Members

I used to have a cheapo Ibanez SG bass, and it sucked. The batteries were constantly dying and the small neck didn't feel right. I traded it in for a used Fender Precision at Music Go Round and I've never looked back. You just can't go wrong with a P-bass. It's built to last, it sounds great, you can get a much bigger variety of tone than you'd think, it feels great and you can get them reasonably cheap (I think it was listed at $400 used, but that was 7-8 years ago). I used to do a lot of gigs and occasional studio work on bass and the Precision never let me down.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never quite made my mind up betweeen playing guitar and bass so have plenty of experience.

Before I got my precision deluxe, I gigged a Hohner profesional series bass for more than 5 years. Neck through, active select by emg p'ups and a very guitar like profile neck. 4 strings,like a bass should be, and a device on the bridge to drop the tuning of needs be.

Cost me around 350 new, if you do see em, they tend to be sub 200.

Looks a little like this, but finished in a dark stain with gold hardware and the right amount of strings

http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?1522

• Members

Thanks feller - looks great, but in their example pics you can see the top (G) tuner is out of line! :(

Shipping is 10 euro. :)

At this stage I'm going to try to contain costs, probably go with something in 50 quid or less used range, partly in case I don't take to it and partly because I've not had an income since December last year, and don't have much gear that I want to sell off to pay for it (how I've been funding other purchases this year).

• Members

My Peavey Milestone 3 is really rather good for a budget bass.

It plays fantastically...The Plagues bass player has played it live in preference to his Stingray and a Precision before because it plays so well.

It's the 2 pickup one, with no switch, just knobs that you can use to blend the pickups, with both pickups together being humbucking.

It sounds great too, from aggressive bass right down to smooth almost double bass like tones.

As is usual on budget gear, the electrics feel a little flimsy, but have now held up for about 7 years without incident.

I'm seriously debating wether to use this Bass with Crosstown Lightnin...last time out I use a Fender precision, but I suspect this cheapie may sound better....

:thu:

• Members

I just noticed the budget... hmmm.

To be honest, I've never played a budget bass I liked enough to keep or buy, but I'd stick with yammy or squier... they seem to be consistently not too poor.

That's the thing about basses. You really see a marked improvement the more you spend. Guitars can sometimes be blurred in that I've had guitars that cost me

Archived