Calling guitarists who play bass too - advice

Ancient Mariner

• Members

I don't really know much about bass. to me, bass is bass, there's not as much subtley to the tone as with guitar. I'm sure bass players would disagree.

that in mind, when I needed a bass, I bought an SX for $115. the verdict? it's a bass. you play it and it sounds like a bass. it serves its purpose.

I bought an older sx jazz off cl for $25 a couple years ago; it came in pieces (taken apart). I put it back together & played it, and it wasn't bad. They serve their purpose...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play bass too.

First question; do you play with a plectrum or fingers? I found jazz basses way too harsh with a plectrum and really needed to be fingered. (ooh saucy).

The Epi Tbird is not a nice bass. Too neck heavy and only really suits a taller standing up player. The Squiers are OK, but aren't very nice sounding.

Second question; do you want to HEAR your bass or FEEL your bass. I've found it hard to get both from the same bass. But it is possible. It is 90% down to the bass amp configuration, but in general jazz pickups are the most cutting whereas p-style pickups tend to have most of the emphesis in the bottom end where it should be. However, this is only in my experience, I'm sure real bassists will tell you better.

The best basses on the market IMO are the BC Rich Mockingbird basses, the the Fender Duff McKagen bass is awesome or the Warwick basses. I have an Aria Pro II Neckthru bass that I LOVE. You can feel and hear the {censored}er and it's so easy to play. Something that I've found cheaper basses really are not. The mock bass I had years back was a similar story. It was a japanese neckthru dealy and is the only bass I've played/owned that you could both feel and hear.

Most fenders I've found lie more in the hear it stage than the feel it.

Bass amp wise, I had a Hartke 3500 but am wanting a Warwick setup in the near future. It depends what band stuff brings...

• Members

For the converting guitar player, I'd recommend staying with something simple and passive, then get something more tailored to your style after you've got some experience. Any of the inexpensive Ibanez or Yamaha basses are a great start, and I'd also jump on the Squire bandwagon. The pickup configuration is less important at this stage, and like a lot of guitar players you might end up just setting it one way and keeping it there all night. You could do far worse than a Precision bass type pickup, although the PJ configuration is very common on cheap basses and that's not a bad thing.

I'd suggest investing in a book on how to do a proper setup for bass, too. You might be surprised at how badly some are setup, and how well they play after a good tweaking. As for strings, you'll be unpleasantly surprised at how much they cost. I'm partial to flatwounds, but that's just me.

Neck shape is a huge issue on basses. I was playing a cheap Jazz copy that had a great, huge sound, but a U shaped neck that killed my left hand. I'd have problems with numbness the next morning after a practice, and it was all due to the way the neck was forcing my hands to play. It also had a tendency to dive which I'm sure contributed to the problem.

A good strap will be worth the investment, too. My bass is a little on the heavy side, so I've got a wide strap and a set of straplocks to keep it from disaster.

• Members

The CV basses are your best bet, if you can't find something used. The pickups on those CVs are not very good, but you can EQ in a recording program and get there.

I don't know what shipping is like, the Rondo basses are good. As good as MIM fender for sure, I actually think that they are better. I guess shipping could be a deal breaker though.

• Members

Thanks again guys.

Jon - I really appreciate your descriptions: something meaningful to me. Ampwise I intend to use a Pignose G40 (approx a bassman) with a hartke bass speaker fitted, so hopefully I'll be hearing it.

A good friend recommended a Ryder bass based on his personal experience although it looks remarkably like every other utterly budget-built bass on fleabay to me. Probably the same as some Indie's (overpriced!).

• Members

I was playing my comically upgraded SX PJ bass last night. The bass is an older version of this in cream. It set up extremely well, plays fine, might be the most accurately intonated instrument I own, now that I've gone over it. I later bought a CIJ Fender, and got a Badass II and a set of Bartolinis to dress it up. The bridge didn't fit the contoured top of the Fender, and the Bartos, shockingly, didn't suit that bass. So, after a bit, I stuck 'em in the SX, and upgraded the pots to CTS 250k, and put an Orange Drop in there. It sounds huge now. Even if it's a little embarrassing to have spent double the cost of the instrument upgrading it, it came in at just about the cost of a MiM, but with a superior result.

• Members

Used Peavey, Used MIM Fender, new SX.. all good stuff that will do all you need it to.

Someone mentioned vintage Ibanez Roadstar basses and I concur.. Great instruments for stupid cheap.. That being said, I ditched my vintage Roadstar RB920 which was top of the RS line for the SX jazz bass that came factory with upgraded pickups, tuners, and bridge, and a maple board with white block inlays.. You cannot distinguish this SX from an upscale Fender Jazz bass in terms of look, fit and finish, sound and playability. Mighty impressive.

They are not on the site any longer, but I think Kurt said they will be back... They sold every one they made..bob

• Members

I picked up a US made peavey fury bass a couple years ago. Standard p-bass copy. Very solid, good pickup but could use new pots.

I also picked up a Peavey Fury 2 years ago for $100 (tax included); it was an excellent P-Bass copy with a pickup that compared well to the DiMarzio Model P in a friend's Squier. I eventually gave it to a friend whose bass had been stolen; he feels the Peavey's better than his original bass (A Fender H1 Precision).

A lot of my bass-playing friends are putting flatwounds on their Jazz Basses; they find the sound works really well in a band context.

If you can afford it, the recent Squiers are a great value. They've really upped the QC in the last 2 years.

• Members

Years ago I had a bass (SG shaped with a single huge square pickup, made by Avon) that got traded for a guitar: it was woolly, muffled and indistinct and I was pleased to see it go, unlike the guitar I traded it for.
:(
I've been thinking about a bass again for home recording and maybe future gigs, but really don't have a lot of cash. A low-bucks ebay deal, preferably something used but better quality is likely to be 'it' for me.

The bass forum might be the obvious place to ask, but I'd rather have advice from fellow guitar players who'll understand where I'm coming from a bit better. Advise me: what are the bass pitfalls? Are they the same as cheap guitars: sub-optimal construction, poor pickups and electronics, setup and intonation issues? What about active versus passive: is it better to go for a passive system and upgrade the PUs (GFS?) or an active system that can't be altered?

I'm looking at stuff like a Peavey Milestone, Epi Thunderbird, some of the lower end Washburns or maybe a squier - a range of tones from crisp and percussive to fat and smooth would be useful. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance guys.

I'd avoid active, unnecessary and just more to go wrong. I picked up this Epi T-bird for a Benjamin even and it's great:

3500424819_53848e9cf3_o.jpg

Only downside is that they're slightly neck-heavy.

I bought my daughter a Peavey USA Foundation and it's great, she plays it every week in church in front of 200-300 people:

6380_1213490177316_1230650648_629340_517

Any of the old USA Peaveys are great deals you should not regret. I got a Peavey Fury I (simlar to a T-20) early in 09 for $125 and it's very cool too:

3177684432_e5372072ed_b.jpg

Of course, they're always the T-40, which is sorta the flagship of the oldest Peaveys, but that will probably run you a bit more (and can be quite heavy). I got one this year w/ohsc for $275 though, which is still good for a USA bass:

3971870533_5fa738113d_b.jpg

A Squier or SX P-bass or Jazz should do you fine also. Or used MIM Fender for a bit more. I play a MIM Jazz I got for $250 w/ohsc in the late '90's, and a MIM Squier P I bought for $100 in 1990.

• Members

Hi,

I am a guitarist who regularly plays bass. In fact, before I moved to the UK and bought your Godin, I'd been playing bass primarily for a few years.

I'd seriously suggest figuring out what you want in a sound. I love P-basses in other people's hands, but I can never quite get them to sound good in mine, I prefer a jazz or a ray.

There is lots of good advice here. I'd say go to PMT or somewhere else, try out a bunch, figure out what you like and go from there. It's hard to go with Yamaha, Squier or Ibanez.

For cheapish P-bass, I love the Yamaha BB414/415 or 614/615, which are P/J, Squiers are good too, as are Ibanez soundgear or their cheapies.

For J's, Squiers, MIM's.

For Rays, the choice is pretty limited, but my personal favourite basses are Ibanez ATK's, and you might find one cheap. Do a very good ray impression but not quite as clanky.

Steve

• Members

I've owned 7 or 8 basses over the years.

In terms of "bang for buck" there are 2 basses (of the ones I've owned) that I recommend:

The Yamaha RBX 170 bass is not the most attractive bass IMO, but it is a very light and comfortable jazz bass that gives as much tonal variety as anything I've tried. You can pick one up for about $125 on Ebay.

The other bass I have that is heavier, bulkier, less balanced, but tonally wonderful is a simple MIM Fender P-bass.

If I had $350 to spend on a bass right now, I'd get this Squier CV bass:

fender0303080502f_big.jpg

• Members

"Active" for guitars usually doesn't mean the same thing as active on a bass.

Basses rarely come with active pick-ups. Active generally means that there is a preamp installed in the bass that is powered by a battery. A majority of the inexpensive basses have a 2-band eq preamp that consists of a boost/cut bass and treble controls. 3-band eqs consist of a boost/cut controls for the lows, mids, and highs/treble. When the battery dies the bass does not produce sound.

Another thing.... Single coils on a bass have the same hum as a single coil on a guitar.

Archived