Calling guitarists who play bass too - advice

Ancient Mariner

• Members

Years ago I had a bass (SG shaped with a single huge square pickup, made by Avon) that got traded for a guitar: it was woolly, muffled and indistinct and I was pleased to see it go, unlike the guitar I traded it for. :( I've been thinking about a bass again for home recording and maybe future gigs, but really don't have a lot of cash. A low-bucks ebay deal, preferably something used but better quality is likely to be 'it' for me.

The bass forum might be the obvious place to ask, but I'd rather have advice from fellow guitar players who'll understand where I'm coming from a bit better. Advise me: what are the bass pitfalls? Are they the same as cheap guitars: sub-optimal construction, poor pickups and electronics, setup and intonation issues? What about active versus passive: is it better to go for a passive system and upgrade the PUs (GFS?) or an active system that can't be altered?

I'm looking at stuff like a Peavey Milestone, Epi Thunderbird, some of the lower end Washburns or maybe a squier - a range of tones from crisp and percussive to fat and smooth would be useful. What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I foray into bass now and then myself.

The best deals are used imo. CL is also a great resource for bass and amps on the cheap.

I bought an amazing Yamaha BBG4s with active pickups for under $200 and the tones are really,really good.

Heavy gold hardware,Active electronics,lightweight body,etc...

A few real bass players I know say that my Yamaha is worth at least double what I paid considering its ease of play and sonic's.

I also recently got a great deal on an Ibanez ergodyne/luthrite body 5 string bass.

It has 5 seperate bridges and a fishman pickup in each one as well as active electronics.

I paid $300 for her and honestly any bass with the options it has would run near $1000 easy.

• Members

I agree with looking on CL used. I would try to snag an active PU bass. They just sound better to me IMHO even though I prefer passive for guitars. Just make sure you have the right size tool to get into the body cavity because actives sound like {censored} when the battery is dead. The allen required for mine was 0.05" which isn't included in the typical set. Had to do some specialty shopping.

• Members

If your serious about playing bass while still playing guitar.. I suggest the Ibanez SR series. I had an SR-400 and it was a perfect bass to be able to transition to and from. Let me also suggest to take some lessons so that you can play bass like a bassist as opposed to a guitarist hacking on bass. I took lessons just to learn technique, not theory. Played with four fingers on my right hand as opposed to a pick, and learned elementary slapping as well.

• Members

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I'll avoid the T'bird and look at Yamahas & Ibbys. I can't afford a CV or VM squier, even used right now. Don't forget this is the UK :(

Fubtag - good point, but I'm happy to be a guitarist hacking on bass (mostly) for a while. Got some magazine tutorials plus youtube to help pick up some technique however, and I'd like to learn some of the more interesting tricks.

Any comments on the budget active versus passive area?

• Members
Thanks guys - much appreciated. I'll avoid the T'bird and look at Yamahas & Ibbys. I can't afford a CV or VM squier, even used right now. Don't forget this is the UK
:(

Fubtag - good point, but I'm happy to be a guitarist hacking on bass (mostly) for a while. Got some magazine tutorials plus youtube to help pick up some technique however, and I'd like to learn some of the more interesting tricks.

Any comments on the budget active versus passive area?

I got a Fullerton Cutlass when 123 was closing them out for $99. Its a killer bass if you can find one, with active electronics that are very quiet and super versatile. I also have a 5-string budget Steinie that I got from MusicYo. Nice enough bass.

• Members

For less then $200 you can find lots of Peavey Foundations. They're inexpensive, but not beginner's basses. These are excellent axes, MIA, and in every way as functional and playable as a Jazz.

In general, for a guitarist taking up bass, the first obstacle to overcome would be the difference in finger strength needed (actually, THINKING like a bassist would be first), and the change in dexterity that goes with it. It makes the ergonomics of the neck even more important than on guitar. You may have to go through a few iterations to find a shape you are comfortable with.

After you're comfortable playing the bass and are able to move around the neck without having to think about it, you can start to explore the tonal qualities of different bass configurations.

• Members

Interesting comment. As a guitar player I'm quite heavy handed and not at all a light fingered sweeper type. Bass fingering never seemed difficult at all to me.

I'd actually *like* advice and comments about the different bass configurations, so that I might not have to explore so much to find what I'd like.

BTW why don't basses ever seem to have pickup switches? The only controls they seem to have are volume and tone (sometimes treble and bass).

• Members
Interesting comment. As a guitar player I'm quite heavy handed and not at all a light fingered sweeper type. Bass fingering never seemed difficult at all to me.

I'd actually *like* advice and comments about the different bass configurations, so that I might not have to explore so much to find what I'd like.

BTW why don't basses ever seem to have pickup switches? The only controls they seem to have are volume and tone (sometimes treble and bass).

Yep, you can't do on-the-fly pickup changes with many of them. They have volume controls for each pickup so you have to switch them by changing each volume knob, although the blending of both is cool that way, but you can do that with dual volumes and the pickup switch too.

• Members

For a guitarist who will play bass occasionally. Forget the battery powered stuff.

Get as close to a Fender Precision bass as you can for the amount of cash you're willing to spend. MIM Fender, Asian Squier or maybe a used MIA if you get lucky.

The late 70's Pre Bass my buddy gave me is a half inch in scale shorter than my 02 MIM Pre Bass. It seems to make a difference. I'm not that tall at 5'4" and have small hands. It's just that the tone is what you expect of a Fender Pre bass and the neck style is perfect for me. The Jazz Bass neck really widens out up there at the 12th fret. I don't like that. For bass tones, both basses are quite similar.

Since bass players aren't the type looking for pinch harmonics and crunch, I don't think their pup demands are as high and finnicky as a guitarist's.

I'd say it's impossible to tell between the sound of a cheap bass and an expensive bass these days in the Precision Bass world.

One of the things that Leo Fender really did get right the first time is the Precision Bass. It's clean enough. Distinct and not muddy or thumpy if you don't want it to be.

They look big on me but not as big as a Ric.

I like the size of the Gibson EB basses but don't like Jack Bruce's tone.

I think the SG Standard bass is a different animal.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/SG-Standard-Bass-Faded.aspx

They're too much anyway.

A Squier Pre should do you if your budget is small. Make sure it feels good to play and is well put together.

PS,

My buddy has a Jay Turser Pre copy and it's horrible.

• Members

Thanks, both tlb and Mr. Gibson.

I'm average height (5'10"ish) so size isn't an issue.

On PUs, I like the idea of combined P and J PUs (as many basses have) for tonal variety. After all I've read, I think bass players are every bit as picky as guitar players over PUs - and they absolutely need to be.

BTW this thread looks promising for lessons: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2512628

BTW I think I might like the bass forum. There was thread discussing how much memory Win 7 used, someone came in with the old "should have bought a Mac" and EVERYONE in the thread ripped it out of him for failing to understand the question.

• Members

80's MIJ Ibanez Roadstar II bass guitars are pretty sweet and usually cheap.

+1; great basses, imho... as a bass player who also plays guitar (not the other way around), I was gonna say squire p or j, or fender mexi p or j, as you said you didn't have alot of dough. If you had like $400-$500 to spend, I would suggest a fender MIJ p or j... Matt

• Members

One of the things that Leo Fender really did get right the first time is the Precision Bass. It's clean enough. Distinct and not muddy or thumpy if you don't want it to be.

:confused: then why did he change it immediately?

Fender-precision-bass-1952.jpg

1951-fender-precision-bass-post.jpg

;)

a used Squier P-bass special ain't bad if you wanna stick to the fender camp - P/J pickups, a P body, and the tapered J neck

Gretsch Electromatic has had a nice little short scale bass out for a few years that is pretty popular and easy to play - I think Squier is doing a Musicman or Bronco bass again, speaking of short scale basses

Peavey usually seems to have good entry level basses - had a low end Yamaha years back that surprisingly I didn't get on too well with (RBX-something or other) - usually I like Yamaha stuff - OLP musicman style basses were good buys, if you want that HB attack

• Members

Thanks JJ. A friend had an original musicman bass (in blue that had faded to green, and incredibly battered) that sounded fabulous - tight, crisp, deep and fat. I've seen a couple of broncos and nearly bitten once, but just wasn't quite sure. A P bass clone is looking moderately likely ATM, although I'd love an 80s/90s washburn.

• Members

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I'll avoid the T'bird and look at Yamahas & Ibbys. I can't afford a CV or VM squier, even used right now. Don't forget this is the UK
:(

Go look in the for-sale section of www.basschat.co.uk. There are often bargains to be had.

I did consider a CV or VM Squier, but never saw them going on ebay for low prices. They hold their prices very well. Except, that sometimes the fretless VM will sell for a very low price.

Review of CV basses here.

If you're after a cheap Jazz bass, then the Aria STB JB is an option. One was on ebay recently, and failed to sell for

• Members

I don't really know much about bass. to me, bass is bass, there's not as much subtley to the tone as with guitar. I'm sure bass players would disagree.

that in mind, when I needed a bass, I bought an SX for $115. the verdict? it's a bass. you play it and it sounds like a bass. it serves its purpose.

• Members

I fumble around on both bass & guitar myself.

If you can - I'd suggest going into a store or two and TRY some out to get a sense of what *feels* good and what *sounds* good to you, before just going out and buying one used off of Craigslist or Ebay or whatever. NOT that I'm saying CR and Ebay aren't great places to get a used instrument, tho! I just think you should try some of the various configurations out before you buy anything.

I second the suggestions for a P-bass, and especially those new Squier Classic Vibe basses - they get great reviews and the ones I've tried were really nicely built.

Also, don't forget Rondo Music's offerings! Great bang-for-the buck.

As to passive vs. active? My personal advice is to stay passive - less hassle, less $$.

And I tend to think the reason why basses don't often come with pickup selector switches is that Bassists don't generally go for the big jump from neck to bridge-for-the-solo kinda thing. Its usually dial in a sound for the whole song (or the whole set). That what I think, anyway.

Archived