What is the Goldtop Les Paul in these NRBQ vids?

fuzztone

• Members

That video is post-1988 so it makes it a little harder to tell - the Fender amp next to the piano is a red knob twin and IIRC those came out in 88/89.

The tuners on that Les Paul look like original tuners. If it were a 70s Deluxe conversion it probably would have Grovers (replaced) or it would have the chrome tulip style pegs.

I don't know when they started re-issuing gold tops as Standards, but I'm sure someone could tell you. I have seen 80s Standards in gold now and again, but they have the bigger Norlin headstock which this one doesn't seem to have - It's probably not a converted Deluxe for the same reason - and the tuners.

Since it's Al Anderson I would say there's a chance it's a 53 or 54 conversion just because the finish looks like it's in really nice shape but it could be an original.

• Members

That video is post-1988 so it makes it a little harder to tell - the Fender amp next to the piano is a red knob twin and IIRC those came out in 88/89.

Thanks for the posts.Yes,the vids must be from around 1989 because that is when they released their "Wild Weekend" album.

• Members

If it's an original (I really doubt it), it's been modified... in the first video, at 0:48 or so, you can see that the top of the headstock is also goldtop gold, and at 2:53 or so, you can see that the bottom of the guitar is also gold... Gibson did make a few Les Pauls as 'All Gold' models, but not back in the day. The originals had p-90s from 52 thru 56, humbuckers from 57 thru 60, and then (I think in 61) Gibson only produced 'SG-shape' guitars until the late 60s.

Probably an 80s model, 'All Gold' LP -

• Members
If it's an original (I really doubt it), it's been modified... in the first video, at 0:48 or so, you can see that the top of the headstock is also goldtop gold, and at 2:53 or so, you can see that the bottom of the guitar is also gold... Gibson did make a few Les Pauls as 'All Gold' models, but not back in the day. The originals had p-90s from 52 thru 56, humbuckers from 57 thru 60, and then (I think in 61) Gibson only produced 'SG-shape' guitars until the late 60s.

Probably an 80s model, 'All Gold' LP -

This is an original 56 ALL GOLD Goldtop

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/EB6116.jpg
EB6116.jpg

• Members

Gibson made a "30th Anniversery Les Paul" in 1982. Maybe that is what it is.Here is a description and photos of that model:

30th Anniversary (1982)

The 30th Anniversary Les Paul was issued with a great marketing campaign that included Les Paul himself in the ads.

The 30th Anniversary model is a goldtop with chrome hardware, thin binding in the cutaway, speed knobs, double ring Kluson-style tuners, and the inscription "30th Anniversary" at the 19th fret. The back of the guitar is mahogany, stained light to medium brown, although some 30th anniversary models had gold backs. The model in this photo has a one piece mahogany neck, which was an option; others had 3 piece mahogany necks.

The serial number format of the 30th anniversary model is unique, with a prefix letter "A", "B", or "C", followed by a four digit number. Although there has been much speculation about the significance of the serial number, or whether the different prefixes indicate a separate series, there is no known rationale/pattern to this numbering system. The 30th anniversary model pictured weighs 10 lbs. 4 oz.

LesPaul82.jpg

gibson_30thLesPAUL_009.jpg

Archived