Is this a fake (Gibson SG auction)

Vendor Defendor

• Members

Looks real to me. I can't tell you if they stamped serial numbers back in the 70's. But at the times they did, the finishing process would fill it up to a point you can barely read it.

Either way, its only going for a couple hundred bux so far :idk:

you can probably find more consistent information on this website http://www.everythingsg.com/

• Members

That guitar has clearly been taken through hell, repaired and re-painted in the course of its 40 year lifespan. I wouldn't be surprised if the serial number was long gone by this point.

And honestly, who would really fake an unpopular/undesirable model like that, especially in that condition? Just doesn't make sense to even bother...I mean people aren't really clamoring for '71 Deluxes in "project" condition, ya know?

• Members

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=230414709362&Category=2384&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_960wt_1165

To the best I can see, I don't see any serial numbers on the back of the head stock which I think would mean its not real? Or am I wrong?

If it weren't real they wouldn't be able to take pictures of it.:)

It's hard for me to believe anyone would make a fake trashed 71 SG, when they could make a fake trashed 61 SG with absolutely no more effort, and get thousands more for it. There's a reason why criminals don't make counterfeit $5 bills.

The serial number probably got sanded off by the Brain Giant who refinished it. It's possible that it might be legible underneath all that Sherwin-Williams.

In pretty much every other respect it looks just like the SG I owned back in the 70s, weird front rout, Bigsby and all. Headstock looks right, what's left of the neck heel looks right, though Stradiveri there obviously tried to smooth it with what appear to have been crude flint tools. It's got the volute. The horns were different on the early 70s SGs - which trip a lot of people up. This one looks to have the correct horns.

For those reasons I think it's a real Gibson. That's not a particularly desirable version of the SG, BUT if you got it cheap enough and willing to put some serious work into it, you could make something pretty good.

Archived