Vintage Twin vs TRRI

cratz2

• Members
But all the stuff I post is recorded with some really decent mics. It sounds great thru the studio monitors but as soon as I post it to the web it sounds not too good. I can play both mixes back thru the monitors and there is a definite difference.
:)

But... but... If you mic the amp with good mics, properly record it with proper levels, process and mix it as you see fit. You end up with a wav file. You convert that wav file to, say, a 256k MP3 file then upload that MP3 file. Uploading it doesn't further compress it. Does it?

:idk:

I definitely agree with metallica_00 that the recording doesn't properly capture the size of the sound in the room. For example, I've recorded two of Curt's Twins, my Twin, my Tweed Deluxe, my AC15H1TV and my little Vox DA5. The DA5 sounds pretty damn big in clips. I love the DA5, but it certainly isn't on par with any of those others in terms of filling a decent sized room with full sound, but in clips, it sounds that way.

• Members

Well, as of right now, the poll shows 12 to 7 that you guys are WRONG! :lol:

The first clip is the Reissue and the second clip is the Silverface. In the room, I'd describe the Reissue as smoother, but still plenty bright. The Silverface sounds a tad fuller sometimes, depending on what I'm playing and what pickup position I'm on.

As several of you noted, it's 'not fair' to compare different amps with different speakers with different tubes. To my ears, the Reissue sounds slightly better but probably are indistinguishable if played a couple hours apart. At the same price, I'd EASILY take the Silverface over the reissue.

The owner of these two amps has another Twin getting a full service job at a nationally known amp tech so another comparison will be in order when he gets that one back.

• Members

Very cool!.. Look at it this way, There are plenty of SF Fenders that are MUTTS!!! Had plenty that just sucked.. Same with Blackface... I have heard some REALLY good reissues, and others that were horrid.. Played one a few nights ago at GC, that was a muddy toneless dog. Amps are individuals.. cool little post/poll:thu:

• Members
But... but... If you mic the amp with good mics, properly record it with proper levels, process and mix it as you see fit. You end up with a wav file. You convert that wav file to, say, a 256k MP3 file then upload that MP3 file. Uploading it doesn't further compress it. Does it?

:idk:

I definitely agree with metallica_00 that the recording doesn't properly capture the size of the sound in the room. For example, I've recorded two of Curt's Twins, my Twin, my Tweed Deluxe, my AC15H1TV and my little Vox DA5. The DA5 sounds pretty damn big in clips. I love the DA5, but it certainly isn't on par with any of those others in terms of filling a decent sized room with full sound, but in clips, it sounds that way.

Just asking I have been around this stuff for 30 plus years now and I think I have a pretty decent ear. I also have a decent recording setup in my house. I just can't seem to get anything posted up on the internet that sounds stellar. :wave:

• Members
Well, as of right now, the poll shows 12 to 7 that you guys are WRONG!
:lol:

The first clip is the Reissue and the second clip is the Silverface. In the room, I'd describe the Reissue as smoother, but still plenty bright. The Silverface sounds a tad fuller sometimes, depending on what I'm playing and what pickup position I'm on.

As several of you noted, it's 'not fair' to compare different amps with different speakers with different tubes. To my ears, the Reissue sounds slightly better but probably are indistinguishable if played a couple hours apart. At the same price, I'd EASILY take the Silverface over the reissue.

The owner of these two amps has another Twin getting a full service job at a nationally known amp tech so another comparison will be in order when he gets that one back.

Hey thanks for the cool poll :thu: .......

I'm really happy I was right! :)

• Members

I didn't post because I didn't have the slightest idea. I like both sounds and would be perfectly happy with either, but I might like the sound of the RI slightly better.

BTW, while I agree about the limitations of such recordings, I think it's a very interesting comparison none the less. So thanks for putting it up

• Members
Thanks for posting this! I gotta think those Weber speakers make a huge difference. It would be most interesting to use them for both clips and then compare.

I think that's what we could do next time. That and play the same material. Neither one of us really thought about posting a poll when Cratz was recording. He was just testing out a new toy. :D

Archived