Best Metal Albums of 2009?

Gomez_69

• Members

I love metal but I have to say much of the stuff I hear these days doesn't do much for me. Now I'll admit I'm was a teen of the 80's so my bias is towards stuff like maiden megadeth slayer..etc..and I do love the early LA scene like RATT etc..I was into Celtic Frost Venom..etc..

But I honestly don't think I'm biased about new stuff. It's just too much of it sounds like a parody of stuff I've already been into..Like that Slough Feg thing above...it's pretty good..but I've already heard maiden do that so I'm not really interested. Much of the thrash and speed metal I've heard recently just seems to have zero melody and I like singing, not grunting. I'm not interested in how many bpm the band can play. That's not heavy to me.

What I do like is originality and musicality. So through my life the bands that grab my attention are the ones doing things like I've never heard before. So as a kid that was Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, and then later Soundgarden (yes they were metal) RATM and more recently Bands like Slipknot, Sevendust (at least Home anyway), and Spiritual Beggars.

So who's come out now that is original, melodic, heavy, good singing, etc...

• Members

its kind of sad when allot of us metal heads have to listen to all the old metal these days which is great we even get excited when someone like priest or maiden puts out a new album i noticed lately allot of guys searching through old "NOT SO POPULAR" metal stuff that didn't sell so well looking for gems which there are many to be found ..... i have not got attached to the new metal :evil:

• Members

Personal faves:

Suffocation-Blood Oath

Napalm Death-Time Waits For No Slave

Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue

The Red Chord-Fed Through The Teeth Machine

Beneath The Massacre-Dystopia

The Black Dahlia Murder-Deflorate

Mastodon-Crack The Skye

To all of those who are bitching about the current metal out there being crap or whatever, get real.

While you may not like all (or any) of the new stuff out there, saying it isn't metal smacks of that retarded high school mentality that gives metal fans a bad name. So you don't like it, big {censored}in whoop.

Good ol Cyco Mike (ST) once said "Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good!"

Oh, and my two cents on the whole Fear Factory (not that anyone asked).

Obsolete was the last "good" album they put out IMO. It wasn't great (though the title track was absolutely sick).

Soul Of A New Machine
and
Demanufacture
are both classics IMO, and the classic lineup (Bell, Cazares, Wolbers, Herrera) will always be the best. Not that the new lineup is bad at all (Hoglan is a {censored}in beast!).

Another good post, and I agree with the Napalm Death. Killer band.

• Members

So who's come out now that is original, melodic, heavy, good singing, etc...

Not exactly 2009, but their last album - The Final Conversation of Kings - came out last year.

[YOUTUBE]MIO_kvBqYus[/YOUTUBE]

older stuff:

[YOUTUBE]rJVBCoiMZGw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]c6dlgtH8ZtE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Dream Theater: Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Redemption: Snowfall on Judgment Day

[YOUTUBE]gqmez3nJxag[/YOUTUBE]

Revocation: Existence is Futile

[YOUTUBE]8s19ixzmIEw[/YOUTUBE]

Mastodon: Crack the Skye

[YOUTUBE]7kcErNWtw1o[/YOUTUBE]

Megadeth: Endgame

[YOUTUBE]tqhRhy0pKpo[/YOUTUBE]

Overall, 2009 hasn't been too eventful for me. 2008, however, was INCREDIBLY GOOD to my music collection, a lot of which I

m only recently discovering.

• Members

Best metal album would be Iron Maidens Flight 666 Dvd/cd soundtrack.

They sound Great for pushing 50. They are Metal Legends and still better than

90% of the metal out there imo.

I think the DVd came out in May 09.

Anyways I highly recommend it.

Archived