Best Metal Albums of 2009?

Gomez_69

• Members

Personally, I"m looking forward to the release of Fear Factory's "Mechanize" album next month. I've had "Obsolete, since it came out in 1999. then, "Digimortal" came out, and was a big disappointment. Dino left the band, and it folded. The band reformed without Dino, a few years ago, but it's been "meh" at best - until recently. Dino made up with Burton Bell, rejoined the band, and they got Gene Hoglan to do drums. Yeah!! They released a teaser song on YouTube from the new album, and it's in the fine form of the "Demanufacture" and "Obsolete" albums. Here it is:

[YOUTUBE]TfekNwxK0e4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Ellen, MECHANIZE has leaked
:eek:
I have it and it is an excellent return to form

Yeah somebody blabbed/posted on the sevenstring.org forum today that a torrent copy had leaked out. It's about time Fear Factory got back to the agressive grind that "Obsolete" had. When I heard "Digimortal", right after it came out, it sounded so toned down and lame to me! The following albums sounded so blah to me, that I never even bother to give them more than a listen or two. I wonder of Dino's going to incorporate 8-string stuff into Fear Factory tuneage in the future (as of this time, I think he's only using his 7s), like he does in Divine Heresy.

When I tried out a 7-sring for the first time (a Schecter Avenger back in 1999), one of the first riffs I played on it, was from "Securitron (Police State 2000)".

• Members

Shamelessly it's BLS's Skullage. With the {censored} that was put out in 2009, his greatest tunes cd beats them all.

BLS would be a cool band if not for that whole "I'm a badass biker" act that Zakk is putting on. The little {censored} don't even ride a bike.. Musically, BLS is :thu:, but on a personal level he's totally :rolleyes: ...

• Members

BLS would be a cool band if not for that whole
"I'm a badass biker" act that Zakk is putting on. The little {censored} don't even ride a bike
.. Musically, BLS is
:thu:
, but on a personal level he's totally
:rolleyes:

...and that pretty much sums up my issue with what now passes for Metal. Loved all the old school but the new stuff is just too gimmicky. It's actually cornier than Pop or Hip Hop.

• Members

Hey, not all new metal sucks. And why do I sense a certain amount of rose colored glassed nostalgia for the old school metal. I've never liked Randy Rhoads guitar sound (no low end beef to it at all - just this shrill, upper midrangey kind "awwwwk!" tone). 70s era Budgie was cool, as was Rush up to the "Hemispheres" album, and a goodly amount of Judas Priest. I LOVED thrash metal (been listening to it since 1984), but most glam metal, and sleaze metal (and that includes GnR) makes me want to barf, with its stupid cock rock; or "get high and get in trouble" lyrics, and crappy, overly midrangey, or excessive amounts of upper midrange guitar tone. There was just as much crap metal, back in the day, as there is now.

• Members

Only metal albums of this year I bought were Endgame and Black Gives Way To Blue. I like them both because I like those respective bands earlier works. But I really haven't gotten into any newer metal bands or albums.

• Members

Personal faves:

Suffocation-Blood Oath

Napalm Death-Time Waits For No Slave

Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue

The Red Chord-Fed Through The Teeth Machine

Beneath The Massacre-Dystopia

The Black Dahlia Murder-Deflorate

Mastodon-Crack The Skye

To all of those who are bitching about the current metal out there being crap or whatever, get real.

While you may not like all (or any) of the new stuff out there, saying it isn't metal smacks of that retarded high school mentality that gives metal fans a bad name. So you don't like it, big {censored}in whoop.

Good ol Cyco Mike (ST) once said "Just because you don't like it don't mean it ain't no good!"

Oh, and my two cents on the whole Fear Factory (not that anyone asked).

Obsolete was the last "good" album they put out IMO. It wasn't great (though the title track was absolutely sick).

Soul Of A New Machine and Demanufacture are both classics IMO, and the classic lineup (Bell, Cazares, Wolbers, Herrera) will always be the best. Not that the new lineup is bad at all (Hoglan is a {censored}in beast!).

Archived