stripped strap button screw

holden_caufield9

• Members

I've always had mixed results with screw extractors, particularly the small ones. If it's not a hardend screw you may be able to just drill the head off of it, and get on it with vice grips, etc.. Or, if you don't mind ruining the post just slot the head with a dremel, or cut the head off with a hack saw. I'm not arguing against trying the extractor - I just wouldn't be too disappointed if it doesn't work as advertised.

• Members

I've always had mixed results with screw extractors, particularly the small ones. If it's not a hardend screw you may be able to just drill the head off of it, and get on it with vice grips, etc.. Or, if you don't mind ruining the post just slot the head with a dremel, or cut the head off with a hack saw. I'm not arguing against trying the extractor - I just wouldn't be too disappointed if it doesn't work as advertised.

This is exactly how I would go about it

• Members

The only thing that concerns me here is that it's a duncan straplock button and the screw is way down in the hole. I dont think i could get to it w/ a dremel or hacksaw.

• Members

Ah so, you do have a bit of a problem. I just looked at one of my guitars with dunlops, and I think I might try a hacksaw or dremel just behind the head of the screw. Don't cut into the screw, but just try to cut around the post until you can break the post off, and leave the screw head so you've still got something to grab onto. Seems to me that the dunlops are very light material compared to other strap hardware.X It may be pretty hard stuff, but hopefully you could get it weak enough to break off behind the head.

• Members

Ah so, you do have a bit of a problem. I just looked at one of my guitars with dunlops, and I think I might try a hacksaw or dremel just behind the head of the screw. Don't cut into the screw, but just try to cut around the post until you can break the post off, and leave the screw head so you've still got something to grab onto. Seems to me that the dunlops are very light material compared to other strap hardware.X It may be pretty hard stuff, but hopefully you could get it weak enough to break off behind the head.

I can try that. I'm gonna cross my fingers and try a screw extractor first i think. if that doesnt work, I might just take it to a shop and let a pro mess w/ it.

• Members

just drilled the head of the screw off, pulled the strap lock off, and unscrewed the head of w/ pliers. FTMFW

• Members

I use 6/32 threadded inserts & screws whenever I install strap buttons because of this problem. The trick is go go a bit deep with a 5/16" drill bit and epoxy the insert in place. Wait at least 24 hrs and put your screws in with a small amount of blue loctite. You'll never have this problem. It's even worse when the wood strips and won't hold a screw. That's when I figured this method out. Also put a circle of masking tape on the bottom of the insert before using the epoxy to keep that stuff out of the threads.

• Members

I use 6/32 threadded inserts & screws whenever I install strap buttons because of this problem. The trick is go go a bit deep with a 5/16" drill bit and epoxy the insert in place. Wait at least 24 hrs and put your screws in with a small amount of blue loctite. You'll never have this problem. It's even worse when the wood strips and won't hold a screw. That's when I figured this method out. Also put a circle of masking tape on the bottom of the insert before using the epoxy to keep that stuff out of the threads.

Great idea!! This one will go on my things to do board hanging by my workbench...!

• Members

I had to come up with something to repair a customer guitar. This guy jumps around and strips the screw on the horn strap button. Ths other one was fine but I did it too. Did this about a year ago and he hasn't had a problem since. I also check the screws to make sure they're still tight when he brings it in for strings. No budge. Just make sure it's the blue removable loctite and DON'T use too much. A small amount on a toothpick is plenty. BTW toothpicks were invented by a meth addict. That's why the aren't called teethpicks.:lol:

Archived