GIbson SG vs 61 Reissue SG

Jcm800_6550

• Members

Eh, they are both excellent guitars, I've had them both. I currently have the 61 , I like it a bit better. It depends on if you like the body shape and small pickguard better on the 61 really. I think the 57 classics on the 61 RI are better and damn sure wouldn't change them out if you go that route.

• Members

{censored} cuz i just bought a standard and i have 30 days to decide if i wanna keep it or not but i think im gonna go with the 61 because it looks and sounds better and some people are saying if feels better than the standard when you play it

The 61 reissue has a 60's neck, standard 50's and Special 59. You have 30 days to play them all. The most important thing is how the neck fits your hand. You can't mod the neck.

• Members

The 61 reissue has a 60's neck, standard 50's and Special 59. You have 30 days to play them all. The most important thing is how the neck fits your hand. You can't mod the neck.

This.

I prefer the 50s neck on an SG so it's definitely not worth the extra 1000 to me.

• Members

I love the neck on an SG Standard, pretty much my favorite. It's a bit flatter than a 50s neck on a Les Paul.

You can often find the Standards pretty cheap used. So if you are the type that is going to want to tweak the electronics that is something to keep in mind.

SGs are cool guitars.

• Members

Another vote for the Standard here...thats the SG I have, and in all honesty having played the more expensive 61 reissue...i much preferred the Standard. Mostly down to the neck - I like a nice rounded neck profile...and tend to much less prefer the skinny necks like on the 61 Reissue. The bigger pickgaurd on the Standard is also more to my own personal tastes. But even taking out that from the equation...the 61 had nothing about it that would make me in a blindfold test think it was any more expensive than the Standard at all. I was pretty unimpressed with it, and its price differential wasn't apparent in actually playing the guitar - you certainly IMO didnt feel like you were playing a much more expensive guitar.

Hand on heart if they were both the same price the Standard and the 61 reissue I know without a doubt I'd still get the Standard. Simply looks better and feels better in my hands. Soundwise they both sound great.

Archived