Anyone ever been to Superior Guitar Works in Manayunk PA?

apostrophe

• Members

Yeah, I actually live closer to Medley.....those dudes in there are such cork sniffing guitar snobs though. Guy in the acoustic room practically laughed me outta the store when I said I had a Takamine.

{censored} like that makes me not want to give them my money....

Although I hear their tech does great work!

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I posted some info about SGW on my web site at http://charliex.org along with some of the other repair guys in the PHilly area. Im not a fan of SGW but Tim is capable of very good work and is knowledgeable. He just takes advantage of people and their wallets. I agree with u also about Medley..SUPER MAINLINE SNOBS....i buy a lot of gear, but will never spend a penny in their with the attitude they have..ESPECIALLY that grunt in the acoustic room. Check out my site for info on some good guys or tell me your experience with them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have been a pro guitarist in this area for 30 years and have had many different repair guys. My first was Roger Sadowski, now a famous guitar maker in NYC. Tim is as good as Roger, and has done nothing but the fineist work for me. As to taking a long time, he is a one-man operation, because he says he has to stand behind all his work, and if a helper messes something up, he winds up doing it himself anyway. So there is always a long line of pending projects. If you want it fast, go to a music store. If you want it done right, go to Tim.

I don't know what that other guy's problem is, but he is dead wrong.

• Members

If you just want a good setup, Audrick at George's Music does good work. He dialed in my old MIJ strat perfectly, took about 2 weeks. This was over 10 years ago, but I understand he's still there. Take it to the North Wales store, since if you drop it off at another store it may take a few days to get it transferred there.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Tim worked on two of my gibson guitars (es-175, es-335) and had them ready in one week just like he promised, for the es-175, he removed noise from a rattling pickguard and replaced a stubborn ABR bridge which had screws that would not move, in addition to some fret leveling and removing some buzzing frets on the high register on the high E string, and put in a bone nut. When I got the guitar back, it had a solid, solid sound and played like butta. He lowered the action to my liking. The es-335 was in much better shape when I first brought it to Tim, it just needed a setup for flatwounds, it sounded great when I got it back also. I highly recommend Tim @ superior guitar works. Thank god they are local for me.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

You know, as far as I'm concerned, the internets (as G.W. Bush refers to it) is mostly just good for getting funny jokes at work but I guess it's also good for trashing a good man's reputation too. I usually hate going through all the hoops to sign up for these chart pages - just a personal gripe I guess but I felt the need to defend Superior Guitar in light of the negative and unjustified posts I read.

Over the past year, I've taken my Gretsch 6120, two custom shop strats and a 65 Deluxe Reverb to be worked on at Superior. All of the work done on my instruments was nothing short of miraculous. Tim took great care of me and believe me, I'm just a regular guy - nobody important. The work he did on my instruments - especially the Gretsch - which required a substantial amount of electronic and woodwork was really amazing. He also made my amp sound magical - no B.S. This guy is a true artist in his own respect. I highly recommend him. Yes, it will take some time to get your instruments repaired/set-up/etc. but when you get them back, I guarantee you will be all smiles. You'll swear it was worth the time it took to get the job done right. He's without a doubt the finest luthier and amp guru in the Philly area and I've tried them all. He's also a gentleman. So there you have it from just a regular guy who loves good tone. Have no fear in trying Superior Guitar Works.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

+1. I just went through the H-C registration hoops (what is the fourth letter in Jazz, blah blah blah) to attest to Tim's good work. He's can be a little expensive, but he brought the fretboard of my 80s Strat back to productive service, perfectly re-fretted, set-up, and nicely vintage-tinted to match the back of the neck (if you care about that sort of thing -- and admit it, you do...). He did an expert refret on my 90s Taylor as well. I'm generally pretty broke, but when I need quality work done, I make sure I have the scratch saved, and I take it to Tim. I won't need to return for another fret job for another 15 years -- well worth the cost. And the job was done within the time frame and reasonably close to the price we discussed beforehand. Tim does quality work. If you're picky like me, when it comes to the important stuff, I wouldn't risk the local alternatives.

• Members

I think that Mark Simpson guy in the previous post is one of those pain in the a*s guys that every hard working tradesman hopes thay never have to deal with, but inevitably do. I dealt with those people when I was a contractor on the Main Line.

I wish I knew him personally, so I could set him straight.:mad::mad: He probably is a grocery checker or something, but not a musician. He's the kind of guy who sends back coffee when it's not foamy enough, and complains about his mail coming 10 minutes late.

It's too bad that someone who does quality work can be openly slandered by weenies. He should take his guitars to K-Mart.

I wish I could know what he does for a living, so I could attack him as mercilessly and wrongly as he has attacked Tim.

• Members

I think that Mark Simpson guy in the previous post is one of those pain in the a*s guys that every hard working tradesman hopes thay never have to deal with, but inevitably do. I dealt with those people when I was a contractor on the Main Line.

I wish I knew him personally, so I could set him straight.
:mad:
:mad: He probably is a grocery checker or something, but not a musician. He's the kind of guy who sends back coffee when it's not foamy enough, and complains about his mail coming 10 minutes late.

It's too bad that someone who does quality work can be openly slandered by weenies. He should take his guitars to K-Mart.

I wish I could know what he does for a living, so I could attack him as mercilessly and wrongly as he has attacked Tim.

Since you seem to know Tim well, why don't you ask him specifically about the crap Mark Simpson is claiming, and report back to us? Better yet, maybe if you mention it to him, HE can take the time to register, speak for himself and set the record straight.

• Members

Coincidentally, I just sent Tim an email last week, but I've gotten no response yet. I sent the email because after stopping by his place several times in the last few weeks, whenever I was passing by, and finding the place locked up, I decided to try something different.

He's moved the shop from Manayunk to Flourtown, and is now in my neighborhood, so having him give me an opinion on an LP that I'm thinking about doing some work on seemed like a pretty sensible idea. But I'm not so sure any more. After numerous tries at getting ahold of him I have yet to even catch a glimpse. I'm starting to think that the stories in this thread could be right on.

I'll freely admit that I have absolutely no idea what kind of work he does. Further, I've heard many good things about what work he does get done. But if I have to work this hard to get him to take my money then I think my guitars will be going to somebody who's a little more eager to talk to me.

• 8 months later...

Archived