SG gas Dillion or Epiphone

luke978

• Members

I have a $400 budget.

I played the Epiphone G400 custom and realy liked it, but I understand that the Dillion stuff is pretty good.

This is what scares me.

I have heard horror stories about the new Chinese Epiphones. For example, totally {censored} wood, poor durability, etc..

On the Dillion website it states that the Dillions sold out of Canada are chinese ripoffs Ironic, since the Dillions are Korean ripoffs of the Gibson SG. It also says that any Dillion purchaced from Canada is not warrantied. I was going to buy from JD, but I'm not sure of that now.

Dillion website:

http://www.dillionguitars.com/

Epiphone:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=27&CollectionID=16

I could go for the Valkyrie III, but its pregnant.

What do you think.

• Members

I love my Chinese Epi G-400. I've only had it a short time (60 days?), but I've encountered no quality issues. The mahog body seems very hard, I can't imagine someone complaining about it being cheap. The Grover tuners were a pleasant surprise. So was the sound out of the stock pick-ups. Best of all.....it's just FUN to play. I click with it somehow that's hard to explain.

I have no experience with Dillion....I can't help there.

• Members

The Epi is the frontrunner right now. I've just been apprehensive since they're MIC.

Believe it or not, Friday was the first time I ever played an SG. I've always owned Les Paul style guitars, and found the neck pickups on all to be a bit muddy to my ears. If all SG's have that Les-Paul-only-brighter tone, I may be hooked for life.

It sounded fantastic on a Valveking at the store. The rock tones I was getting realy took me by suprise with that head/stack combo.

Had real good fretwork, too. The reviews I read said that the pickups were muddy, but I found that they weren't at all. I like the color as well.

I was hoping to hear from more Dillion guys about the pickups and build quality. The whole Canada thing worries me, too.

• Members

Run over to MF and check out the sale on the ESP guitars.

I like that they have US made Seymour Duncans available in the Vipers for 450.

If you don't like the slightly off kilter shape, then take a look at the LP shaped model, the EC400. Maybe not an SG shape, but SG thickness.

• Members

Oh yeah... I had a Dillion LP that was great but I just couldn't get used to the feel of an LP because I was so used to my SG... so I sold it. I've been gassing for one of those G-400 customs though... they look awesome but I've never tried one.

Try one.

It has a strange wiring scheme.

3 Vols and 1 tone and a 3 pos switch.

The rhythm position: Neck/Middle pickups.

The treble pos: Bridge and middle pickups.

The middle position: all 3 pickups.

Use the Vol knobs to blend in, or out, the middle pickup and the tone for effect. I'm sure it's a cast iron bitch to switch during a song, but I liked the variability.

• Members

This is what scares me.

I have heard horror stories about the new Chinese Epiphones. For example, totally shit wood, poor durability, etc..

I have a couple Chinese Epi Les Pauls and they are great playing and great sounding.

So I know at least SOME of the Chinese ones are good. :D

-

• Members

lol wtf does this mean

the edwards sg

A peculiar vintage processing to hardware is given, '61 SG is done by finish that uses Raccar for the closing phase of the painting process, and the replica is done by a high further more dimension. It is likely to be enchanted to all Mahogane body sound of the sound omission that the ear sitting dividing is good by playing and crowding.

• Members
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

esg85lt2_ch.jpg

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ishibashi.co.jp%2F&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2

http://cgi.ebay.com/Edwards-SG-CHERRY-Lacquer-Top-W-Duncan-PU-s_W0QQitemZ120092257091QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Save up $200 more.

I have an Edwards SG, the white three pickup custom. It is an exact replica of the Gibson version, i was playing hte Gibson version in the store the other night. The Gibson SG custom has the parallel neck joint so that the neck is parallel to the body. The Edwards copied this exactly.

If you like the parallel neck/body joint, great. However, i prefer the angled neck joint. i talked with someone who owned the Edwards replica of the SG standard and they said it too had the parrallel neck body joint.

The neck joint is not a flaw per se, Edwards copied the guitar exactly as Gibson made it, but I personally don't like that type of neck joint, the angled joint gives a more comfortable playing postion i find.

For that reason i personally would not buy another Edwards SG, even though they are otherwise flawless. I would get a Dillion or Tokai replica, or a Gibson.

I like the Epiphone G400 copy of the SG three pickup custom. it has an angled neck joint. Strictly speaking, this is "incorrect" since the Gibson SG custom has a parallel neck joint. So i would rather have the epiphone G-400 (an upgrade the pickups) than the Edwards.

if edwards could start making their SGs with angled neck joints that would be perfect.

• Members

I went back to GC last friday to buy the Epi G400 custom. I played it again and statred to notice some of the fucked up binding at the high E side of the neck. I also saw what was either a neck crack or a paint crack. I didn't notice how muddy the pickups were until I tried it on different amps. So I put it right back.

I tried out two Gibson SG faded's, a worn brown one and a cherry one. I really wanted to like the Gibson faded SG's but that is a fucking lame guitar for $600, I don't care where its made. The cherry SG's fretwork felt unfinnished, and the edges were sharp. The worn brown one had sharp fret ends and a chunk missing on the back, so no Gibson.

I tried 4 MIM SSH strats. The fretwork was poor 3 of them, and the neck pocket on the last wasn't very tight. So no fender

I started to leave when I saw a plain old Epi G400 hanging way up top. I figured that if all the others were shit, why even try this? Its MIC anyway. How good can it be?

I tried it out and was pleasntly suprised. The great thing about it was the thin neck profile and excellent fretwork. Very smooth with no sharp ends.

I saw a couple of pieces of sawdust under the clearcoat on the back, otherwise good finish job and no overspray. The only complaints I have are the pickups are a little muddy, and I would have prefered the small pickguard. I found out later that its actually an Epiphone 1966 S.O.R.

I learned a few things while I was there: NEVER buy a guitar without trying it out first. Don't underestimate the Chinese.

I paid $325.00, half of what I was expecting to pay for the Gibby.

SG1.jpg

SG2.jpg

SG3.jpg

SG4.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Wow... that's a big bump from an old thread!

I had an Dillion SG for a while. Very solid for a classic looking guitar. I'd want to replace the pickups if it was my main guitar though. Stockers aren't bad, but not exceptional. I got mine used for ~$225.

Never owned an Epi SG but I've played several. Only having played the one Dillion, I can't comment on their consistency but in general, I'd give the thumbs up to Dillion over Epi at the same price. I did really like the 'vintage' G400 with the satin finish. Much better sounding pickups in my opinion than the standard G400.

I also bought a Gibson Faded in worn brown that I thought was about the best looking SG I'd ever seen. Some folks don't like the Fadeds much, but I love how they look and how they feel. I also really like the 490 pickups that came in mine. My Faded was $375 plus tax at Guitar Center. They usually go for closer to $400 or $450, but they had three identical used ones all in great shape.

P1070065a1.jpg

• Members

Wow... that's a big bump from an old thread!

I had an Dillion SG for a while. Very solid for a classic looking guitar. I'd want to replace the pickups if it was my main guitar though. Stockers aren't bad, but not exceptional. I got mine used for ~$225.

Never owned an Epi SG but I've played several. Only having played the one Dillion, I can't comment on their consistency but in general, I'd give the thumbs up to Dillion over Epi at the same price. I did really like the 'vintage' G400 with the satin finish. Much better sounding pickups in my opinion than the standard G400.

I also bought a Gibson Faded in worn brown that I thought was about the best looking SG I'd ever seen. Some folks don't like the Fadeds much, but I love how they look and how they feel. I also really like the 490 pickups that came in mine. My Faded was $375 plus tax at Guitar Center. They usually go for closer to $400 or $450, but they had three identical used ones all in great shape.

P1070065a1.jpg

Ya, if I was looking at Epi's I think it's one of the Korean Faded series I'd be trying to track down. I have a line on a couple here. The Dillions would run me about the exact same price.

How were the stock pickups in your Dillion? I have no problem modding, but if things sounded decent stock that would be a bonus.

You guys are lucky in the States when it comes to SG prices. A Gibson Faded is over $900 in the stores here. Which means the used prices are higher as well. Importing one from the States is an option, but my experiences with the Faded series in the store's here has been VERY mixed. I don't trust buying one unseen unless it was from a trusted source.

That's a beautiful SG you have there. Ideally, exactly what I would want lol.

Thanks a lot for your input.

• Members

I'd entertain the idea of picking up one of these

DBM09T%202%20.jpg

....but I realize it's over your budget. I've never held/played a Dillion,. but .... given that darn good guitars can be had on a budget, I'd be willing to bet that they're within Epi's ballpark for quality vs price. I dunno...

sorry the pic is so big .... was a much smaller image when I copied the location :cry:

Archived