1970's teles

Kaz2550

• Members

I used to own a '73 Tele and it was the best electric guitar I've ever owned and had the finest neck of any electric I've ever played.

Of course there was a lot of variance, even among those made the same year, I'm sure.

I also owned a pre-CBS Tele. The '73 blew it away.

That '73 Tele is one of the verrry few instruments (out of dozens and dozens) that I regret parting with.

• Members

Yes I can play it before completing the trade deal. I've never had a tele before so I don't know how I'll get on with it in the long run and hence I'm worried about the market value in case I decide to sell it. I'm doing a straight swap for it with my prs cu24 is this a fair deal?

• Members

73 is the cutoff year for what I'll buy. The early ones are fairly light and the poles in the bridge are staggered. The later ones are heavy and they have flat poles.

The necks on the later ones got a tiny bit flatter.

• Members

I have a '72 Tele Custom neck on my Frankenstein tele and it's fantastic, but I can't speak for guitars as a whole. If I could get a reasonably priced early-70s Fender I'd definitely go for it (assuming no major problems like repaired cracks or anything).

Still, trading a nice PRS is no small thing so definitely play it first and see if it speaks to you. Unless you're looking at it as an investment, make sure it's something you really want to play. A new PRS Custom 24 is probably worth more right now (obviously there are a million factors involved in prices of vintage instruments). However, I think the long-run market value of early 70s Fenders are as safe a bet as any. Despite their well-publicized problems, even 70s strats really shot up in the last 10-15 years.

Just my 2c and my guess, I'm not a vintage guitar dealer, just a Vintage Guitar mag reader. =)

• Members

Few more pics. Note it's been routed for a neck humbucker at some point. No original pups Bkp blackguards fitted.

100_1320.jpg100_1321.jpg

100_1319.jpg

I've also been offered a Gibson es335 for the prs which would be a safer bet I guess but I already have a nice semi. Hmmm decisions.

Archived