Single coil pickups for Bridge position

whiteop

• Members

I know this question has been asked ad nauseam here but since the search function didn't produce what I needed... I have an Ywnvie modded Strat with the YJMs in the middle and neck positions and HS-3 in the bridge position. While the HS-3 has great sustain it often sounds too bright an un-Stratty for my tastes. I want hum-cancelling Stratty sounding pickups with warmth and good sustain that aren't quite as bright as the HS-3 (I've rolled back the tone knob but still don't quite have the right tone I'm looking for; my Strat is wired so the tone knob controls the bridge pickup). I'm looking for more of a Stratty type sound but still want the sustain that the HS-3s give me. I've googled and Youtubed to no end but am having a hard time deciding because it's hard to really tell what the pickups will sound like in real life. Just thought I'd get some ideas from some of you guys that have made similar decisions and have experience with the pickups you replaced. Here's what I've seen that looks good so far:

Dimarzio 61's (chart says it has more treble than the HS-3 but the tone sounds better)

Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro

Dimarzio Virtual Solo

Dimarzio Pro Track (similar to a PAF)

Lindy Fralin

Bill Lawrence

Bare Knuckle

Any input is appreciated. Also let me know what style music you play.

• Members

I know this question has been asked ad nauseam here but since the search function didn't produce what I needed... I have an Ywnvie modded Strat with the YJMs in the middle and neck positions and HS-3 in the bridge position. While the HS-3 has great sustain it often sounds too bright an un-Stratty for my tastes. I want hum-cancelling Stratty sounding pickups with warmth and good sustain that aren't quite as bright as the HS-3 (I've rolled back the tone knob but still don't quite have the right tone I'm looking for; my Strat is wired so the tone knob controls the bridge pickup). I'm looking for more of a Stratty type sound but still want the sustain that the HS-3s give me. I've googled and Youtubed to no end but am having a hard time deciding because it's hard to really tell what the pickups will sound like in real life. Just thought I'd get some ideas from some of you guys that have made similar decisions and have experience with the pickups you replaced. Here's what I've seen that looks good so far:

Dimarzio 61's (chart says it has more treble than the HS-3 but the tone sounds better)

Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro

Dimarzio Virtual Solo

Lindy Fralin

Bill Lawrence

Bare Knuckle

Any input is appreciated. Also let me know what style music you play.

Dimarzio Pro Track (similar to a PAF)

I love the Virtual Solo but it not a very Stratty sounding pickup. It's much warmer and fatter. So if you're looking for a traditional Strat sound, that's not the right pup for you.

• Members

I appreciate you guys chiming in. I'm thinking about the Dimarzio 61 but still doing some research. I might take a pickup that's not as Stratty sounding if it wasn't tinny and had good sustain and warmth to it. The HS-3 just thin to me even though Dimarzio has it rated as a pickup with lower treble response than the '61...

Archived