Active Pickup Replacment with Coil-Tapping

jnr1114

• Members

Yeah, the 89 and the 89R are the splittable EMGs. And they sound pretty dang good when split. The 89 (and 89R) split is EXACTLY the same thing as the EMG SA.

The 89R has the coil NOT under the logo working when split so if you wanted to split the neck position pickup and have the coil furthest from the bridge working when split, go with the 89R.

• Members

So would I be able to put a 81 and 85 into a split coil guitar and just not have the split coil work? Or is the wiring different?

What gives the guitar the coil split feature is the pickups. If you replace those pickups with non-splittable pickups (EMG 81) you lose the feature.

If the guitar has a push/pull pot to activate the coil split, it would have to be removed for the EMG's also. EMG's use pots with different resistance values.

To answer your question, yes you can put the EMG's in and yes the wiring is different. You won't have a coil split unless you use an EMG that is splittable (EMG 89).

• Members

So would I be able to put a 81 and 85 into a split coil guitar and just not have the split coil work? Or is the wiring different?

If the guitar has a 3 way switch and a coil split switch or a push pull knob, you can just ignore the extra switch or the bottom part of the pot.

If the guitar has a strat-type 5 way switch where it does coil splitting in the #2 and #4 positions (many Ibanez guitars are like this for example), you can use the switch and positions 1, 3 and 5 will work normally, but positions 2 and 4 won't work at all.

Or if you have such a switch, you could replace it with a standard tele 3 way switch.

What kind of guitar are we talking about here?

• Members

That's the guitar. So I'd be able to replace the pickups with EMG non-splittable and just not have the feature? Or do I have do buy new pots for it?

The EMG set comes with it's own pots.

The stock pots in that guitar are 500Kohm pots. EMG's use 25Kohm pots.

• Members

Quite a bit of soldering. You'd be replacing the entire wiring harness other than the 3 way switch. You'd need to have two solder joints on each pickup, about 3 or 4 solder points on each pot, and 4 solder points for the output jack which also needs to be replaced so that the circuit is only drawing power from the battery when a cable is plugged into the jack.

Speaking of the battery... you need to makes space somewhere on the guitar to hold 1 or 2 9V batteries. Might be able to sneak it in the trem cavity somewhere, but I'm guessing that will be tight.

Having said that, if you can solder at all, you can solder the entire guitar.

• Members

Quite a bit of soldering. You'd be replacing the entire wiring harness other than the 3 way switch. You'd need to have two solder joints on each pickup, about 3 or 4 solder points on each pot, and 4 solder points for the output jack which also needs to be replaced so that the circuit is only drawing power from the battery when a cable is plugged into the jack.

Speaking of the battery... you need to makes space somewhere on the guitar to hold 1 or 2 9V batteries. Might be able to sneak it in the trem cavity somewhere, but I'm guessing that will be tight.

Having said that, if you can solder at all, you can solder the entire guitar.

Actually, EMG uses a new solderless install system. They use the quick connects like those on the back of the humbucker for the pots as well. There is no need to solder these anymore, unless you want too. So basically anybody who can read a wiring diagram can put these in with just a few small hand tools.

Archived