PRS SE Custom 22 and 24 discontinued

epi56ebony

• Members

I've been hearing from people within PRS that a lot of the SE's will be getting upgraded to USA pickups. Only time will tell I guess.

It would certainly be a good idea since that's generally regarded as a bit of a weak spot on the SEs. And since Epiphone is now doing that on some of their higher end models, it wouldn't surprise me if PRS followed suit. After all, a lot of import model companies like ESP and Schecter are using Duncans or DiMarzios, so it would be a good idea for PRS to offer something other than a pending soldering project to its affordable guitar line customers.

• Members

Saw that the Cherry Burst SE Custom 22 at $399 is now gone from the Amazon site. People are starting to pick up on the bargain prices of this fantastic guitar line from PRS.

Other than Amazon, did anyone have a discontinued/close out sale on the PRS SE line?

I never saw MF with any close out prices, although they may have reduced all the discontinued models to 399 and that price was low enough to entice people to buy.

I REALLY like the 299 price point Amazon's been giving on PRS SE.

• Members

Very sad news. I got my SE Soapbar over a year ago and have never even considered replacing it.

although this gives me high hopes that maybe they'll finally put some p-90s in a regular mira (or better yet, if there's actually a Mira SE):
http://prsguitars.com/25thmira245soapbar/index.html

:love:

main1.jpg

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Oh HELLS YEAH.

• Members

I've been hearing from people within PRS that a lot of the SE's will be getting upgraded to USA pickups. Only time will tell I guess.

This is all very encouraging. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. They just keep making these SEs better and better. I can't believe how much they can do for so little.

• Members

i'd rather see carved tops on the customs than better pickups, i can change them if i need to. It would be nice of they did like what Epiphone do, make something that is visually the same as their more expensive cousin. I'd happy pay a little more to see them look like the better versions. The single cuts have carved tops, would be nice of they all did. The flat just looks a little too cheap.

• Members

The flat just looks a little too cheap.

They definitely do look cheap compared to a USA PRS, but I kinda groove on the more stripped down feel of the flat top. In some ways, not as comfy as an arch top, but the lighter weight makes them feel pretty sporty. ;)

• Members

I really like the P90s on my Soapbar II, haven't felt the need to swap them out, though I may do so down the line out of curiosity.

I too would prefer that they upgrade cosmetics rather than pups; I can't paint a bird or carve a top to save my life, but I can solder.

Like epi56ebony said, the model turnover prices up the SE line for the foreseeable future, which is too bad; in the $300-$500 range SE has been king, get it up over that range and other options become more attractive to me.

• Members

They definitely do look cheap compared to a USA PRS, but I kinda groove on the more stripped down feel of the flat top. In some ways, not as comfy as an arch top, but the lighter weight makes them feel pretty sporty.
;)

flat tops are fine on some guitars, but i think i'm so used to seeing nice grain and bursts on contoured tops that they look kinda false on a flat top to me. Having said that i havenever had an issue with the EVH line of guitars with flat tops and lovely grain. Maybe it's just me :p

• Members

I just picked up an SE 24 Custom in Trans Black. I'm freakin' impressed with this guitar. I can't put it down. The pups don't seem all that bad to me. I have owned a McCarty, a DGT & a Mira. I must say this SE is much better than I expected. The W/T neck profile is perfect for me. Any suggestions on a good pup combo for the SE?

• Members

I just picked up an SE 24 Custom in Trans Black. I'm freakin' impressed with this guitar. I can't put it down. The pups don't seem all that bad to me. I have owned a McCarty, a DGT & a Mira. I must say this SE is much better than I expected. The W/T neck profile is perfect for me. Any suggestions on a good pup combo for the SE?

Yeah, I kinda think the p'ups are somewhere in the middle. Like with gain, they've got a good compressed crunchy tone. The neck sometimes seems to have some pretty good vibe going on. But I just want a bit more.

I picked up 3 of them and here's my p'up mod plans

(P.S. I'm a baby boomer that likes classic rock and clean tones)

SE C 22 Stopbar - Going with 2 Alnico II Pros

SE C 22 Tremolo - Going with 2 Duncan '59s

SE C 24 Tremolo - Going with DiMarzio Tone Zone in the neck and a Super D in the bridge.

That last one is being config'd for more of a hard rock tone. One of my amps is a Marshall DSL100 and I thought that last config would be fun to slam into the Marshall.

Wish I had them done so I could tell you how they turned out.

• Members

Yeah, I kinda think the p'ups are somewhere in the middle. Like with gain, they've got a good compressed crunchy tone. The neck sometimes seems to have some pretty good vibe going on. But I just want a bit more.

I picked up 3 of them and here's my p'up mod plans

(P.S. I'm a baby boomer that likes classic rock and clean tones)

SE C 22 Stopbar - Going with 2 Alnico II Pros

SE C 22 Tremolo - Going with 2 Duncan '59s

SE C 24 Tremolo - Going with DiMarzio Tone Zone in the neck and a Super D in the bridge.

That last one is being config'd for more of a hard rock tone. One of my amps is a Marshall DSL100 and I thought that last config would be fun to slam into the Marshall.

Wish I had them done so I could tell you how they turned out.

Nice line up you got going there. I'm thinking DiMarzio PAF Pro in the neck... love the vibe of that pup. I'm undecided on the bridge. I'm thinking SD Custom Custom... I'll do some more research on the bridge pup. I have had mostly LP's and LP type guitars i.e. mahogany body and neck, the SE has a mahogany body and a maple neck, so I think a JB might be a bit too bright for this application... thoughts?

Archived