GFS pickups and Seymour Duncan Pickups equivalents

shooto

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Comparing a GFS to a Seymour Duncan pup is about like comparing a can of Coke to a nice bottle of single malt scotch.

EG

Are you saying we should appreciate the imported product of discerning tastes and the domestic product consumed by everybody else as being two different products to be judged on their own merits?:lol:

• Members

Comparing a GFS to a Seymour Duncan pup is about like comparing a can of Coke to a nice bottle of single malt scotch.

EG

Have you done a direct comparison, nominally similar PU types etc? I have had (duncan '59s and GFS '59s in the same guitar) and it's like coca cola (GFS) vs cheap supermarket coke (Duncan). You want scotch - go get yourself some nice vintage Gibson pickups.

• Members

To be honest, I haven't been overly impressed with the GFS humbuckers though I've had several sets of GFS single coils I like nearly as much as Fenders/Duncans etc.

A few years ago, I asked about replacing a dead JB in a Jackson and he suggested the Crunchy PAF (back before they had to call it the Crunchy PAT). That pickup sounded pretty good in that guitar, I'd almost say better than the JB though I never directly compared them.

I've had two sets of Dream 180s which I'd say are 75% PAF, 25% Filtertron but hotter. Pretty decent pickups, not really me though.

Put a set of Crunchy PATs in a solid mahogany (no maple) Korean Epi, didn't like them. Put a set of Fat PATs in the same guitar, liked the neck pickup OK, bridge was way hotter than I like. Replaced them with Alnico II and BINGO! Great sounding pickups. Possibly my third favorite set I own. Never compared them directly to Duncan Alnico II Pros, but they sound great. Pretty low output, very vintage sounding. Not terribly bright, but not muddy in the least.

I had a Duncan Custom 5 that I had in about 4 different guitars and I didn't like any of the GFS pickups nearly as much.

I guess I'd say Crunchy PAT = JB with more bottom end. Maybe Duncan Distortion.

Fat PAT = Probably the Custom 5, but not quite there.

Obviously the 59 is going for the 59 vibe.

I wouldn't so much figure which one is trying to cop which tone, but I'd look into what kind of tone you want and match the description to that. If you have a JB and you want another JB for cheaper, get a used JB and don't expect a GFS pickup to be the same thing.

• Members

Very informative post, thanks.

To be honest, I haven't been overly impressed with the GFS humbuckers though I've had several sets of GFS single coils I like nearly as much as Fenders/Duncans etc.

A few years ago, I asked about replacing a dead JB in a Jackson and he suggested the Crunchy PAF (back before they had to call it the Crunchy PAT). That pickup sounded pretty good in that guitar, I'd almost say better than the JB though I never directly compared them.

I've had two sets of Dream 180s which I'd say are 75% PAF, 25% Filtertron but hotter. Pretty decent pickups, not really me though.

Put a set of Crunchy PATs in a solid mahogany (no maple) Korean Epi, didn't like them. Put a set of Fat PATs in the same guitar, liked the neck pickup OK, bridge was way hotter than I like. Replaced them with Alnico II and BINGO! Great sounding pickups. Possibly my third favorite set I own. Never compared them directly to Duncan Alnico II Pros, but they sound great. Pretty low output, very vintage sounding. Not terribly bright, but not muddy in the least.

I had a Duncan Custom 5 that I had in about 4 different guitars and I didn't like any of the GFS pickups nearly as much.

I guess I'd say Crunchy PAT = JB with more bottom end. Maybe Duncan Distortion.

Fat PAT = Probably the Custom 5, but not quite there.

Obviously the 59 is going for the 59 vibe.

I wouldn't so much figure which one is trying to cop which tone, but I'd look into what kind of tone you want and match the description to that. If you have a JB and you want another JB for cheaper, get a used JB and don't expect a GFS pickup to be the same thing.

• Members

The way I see it is GFS isnt a boutique pickup maker by any means.

However they offer Great affordable upgrades too a lot of guitar mfgs stocker pickups.

The GFS in most cases kill the stock Epi's,DD's,LTD's,IBZ,etc... brands.

However when you compare them too Real Deal Boutiqes(ala BG) or the available DiMarzio's,Duncans,Gibson,PRS,etc....

the GFS's dont always = upgrade and really shouldnt be confused this way.

My buddy has a Gibby Studio loaded with them and loves the tones so opinions are gonna vary.

• Members

The way I see it is GFS isnt a boutique pickup maker by any means.

However they offer Great affordable upgrades too a lot of guitar mfgs stocker pickups.

The GFS in most cases kill the stock Epi's,DD's,LTD's,IBZ,etc... brands.

However when you compare them too Real Deal Boutiqes(ala BG) or the available DiMarzio's,Duncans,Gibson,PRS,etc....

the GFS's dont always = upgrade and really shouldnt be confused this way.

My buddy has a Gibby Studio loaded with them and loves the tones so opinions are gonna vary.

This. Gfs is a great company and makes great products for a certain segment if players, just like the other companies you mentioned.

Archived