Guitars from the brink...

Northstar

• Members

I've seen some real miracles performed on some really ready for trash ones, some of the best are at reranch forum.

Here's one I did. Not quite ready for trash but a bit battered.

BEFORE:

Damaged al over. Dents, dings scrapes cracks, you name it. Pickup ring cracked, headstock cracked, random holes etc.

DSCN0210.jpg

DSCN0256.jpg

DSCN0214.jpg

AFTER:

DSCN1287.jpg

Plays nice, but I re-ruined the paintwork after it sat in a gigbag and reacted with the material on the butt of the guitar.

• Members

I've showed this guitar several times. The head was almost (but not completely) cracked off when I received it. This is what was done: new tone and volume controls, new knobs, bridge and tail piece, new pick guard, new tuners.

It was a stereo guitar, the switches didn't work. Had the pickups rewound

and a new input jack installed.

Too much work really, but I don't think there are too many of these around. The frets have no wear and the neck, although a bolt on, is straight. This was ready for the trash pile. Sounds pretty good. One of the frets "frets out" at the 19th

fret, high E, but otherwise it plays pretty nice.

There are only a few minor scratches and dings on the body

jap1.jpg

jap4.jpg

jap6.jpg

I have no idea who the manufacturer was (the emblem was removed)

jap7.jpg

Japan

jap5.jpg

nice binding

jap8.jpg

I don't know why I bothered to fix it, probably could of got a new cheap Epi or Agile for what it cost to fix, but its fully playable now and it's kind of unique

• Members

Most of my guitars where brought back from the brink. I blogged about the process in the link in my sig:

1961 Gretsch Corvette. Bad refinish/ no finish, frets litteraly worn down to wood, broken truss rod, etc. Not playable.

Before

vette2.jpg

After

grestchbeaut2.jpg

1962 Gretsch Corvette.

Lots of missing hardware, bad refinish/no finish, lots and lots of holes drilled everywhere and bridge in wrong place. Not playable.

Before:

mon5-26b1_33.jpg

After:

DSCN8018c.jpg

1966 Gretsch Corvette.

Truly hideous refinish, but otherwise playable though the frets really needed replacing. Again, bridge in wrong place, so had to fix that along with a myriad of other things.

Before:

4X2vette4.jpg

After:

vetetele-010c.jpg

1964 Gretsch Astro Jet:

No finish, no binding, missing crucial hardware, not playable. Now my Number 1.

Before (not really, I had already done some work at this point...got it playable to test the neck and had added a lot of the missing hardware):

Astro-Jet-006c.jpg

After:

DSCN8594c.jpg

• Members

(...snip...)

1966 Gretsch Corvette.

Truly hideous refinish, but otherwise playable though the frets really needed replacing. Again, bridge in wrong place, so had to fix that along with a myriad of other things.

Before:

4X2vette4.jpg

After:

vetetele-010c.jpg

Wow :eek: - I think THAT one is truly "The SEXXY!" :thu::love: (the "After" version, natch!)

• Members

This was a very nice 97 American Standard. I'm not exactly sure what happened here, though I bet it involved a very hot art-school girlfriend and a lot of weed:

rednitro2.jpg

I thought I'd be able to drop-fill the scratches and preserve the gold finish, but the, um, artwork went through the color coat and into the primer in several places. Off came the poly, on went one of my better nitro finishes:

rednitro1.jpg

• Members

you've got some really odd looking guitars here. Congrats on your ability to not be embarrased by those things.

Most of my guitars where brought back from the brink. I blogged about the process in the link in my sig:

1961 Gretsch Corvette. Bad refinish/ no finish, frets
litteraly
worn down to wood, broken truss rod, etc. Not playable.

Before

vette2.jpg

After

grestchbeaut2.jpg

1962 Gretsch Corvette.

Lots of missing hardware, bad refinish/no finish, lots and lots of holes drilled everywhere and bridge in wrong place. Not playable.

Before:

mon5-26b1_33.jpg

After:

DSCN8018c.jpg

1966 Gretsch Corvette.

Before:

4X2vette4.jpg

After:

vetetele-010c.jpg

1964 Gretsch Astro Jet:

No finish, no binding, missing crucial hardware, not playable. Now my Number 1.

Before (not really, I had already done some work at this point...got it playable to test the neck and had added a lot of the missing hardware):

Astro-Jet-006c.jpg

After:

DSCN8594c.jpg

Archived