PSA: Sorry folks. There will no genuine year end clearence sales this year.

ChineseKnockoff

• Members

I apologize in advance for being a wet blanket, but it's the truth.

I had some high hopes for some great deals at year end myself but it's just not going to happen this year. Most retailers have been keeping inventories very extremely thin lately to hold costs down. When things are as bad as they've been this year the risk involved in running out of a hot item is much less than the risk of being stuck w/ too much inventory after the holidays and having to unload it for whatever they can get. So they weren't full to the ceiling like in days of yore. They ordered exactly what they were sure they could move and not one piece more.

And remember - all that shiny stuff on the walls or web site at GC, or Sam Ash, or where ever is all bought by the retailer on short term credit (called 'commercial paper' by finance types) and it's still in very short supply these days. That shortage further limits what retailers can have on the shelves.

So it's not that the retailers are being stingy or trying to hold out 'till we're willing to pay more, it's that the cupboard is bare. There's nothing to clear out. The result: No deals for you!!

[rant]

And as far as the ads Sheese!! - I don't know why they wast the money to send them out. The ones I get go straight into the recycling basket, unread. It's the same gear at the same prices as it's been all year. It's not a sale! Do they think I'm really that stupid? They think they're gonna fool me into buying something at the same price it's been for the last 9 months by putting it in a glossy catalog? And when I did read them they only served to irritate me for the reasons I just mentioned.

I wonder what those mailings cost?

They keep sending 'em, so I guess there are enough suckers to make it worthwhile, and that list of suckers is a document I'd sure like to get my hands on. I could make a nice fortune with it.

[/rant]

• Members

Yup as I stated in my GC No Clearance thread, no deals this year, BUT what about all the deals in the summer!!! (I started a thread on that too)

Was a great year for guitars this year due to the ecomony. MF must have gotten rid of all excess inventory. Jag HH's for 299, AVRI Jazzmaster 999, Ric 330 for 999, road worns for 499-599, melody makers for 249 on and on and on. Fender Custom shop roadshow brought in-house samples and gave great prices...70s Masterbuilt black on black strat for 2600 out the door at Calif Vintage.

Amazon has been blowing out guitars too in gold box deals in Dec. PRS SEs periodically went up for 299 and were usually gone in 60 sec. I'm glad I finally got one (went up at 7AM. I was sooooo ready)

So with all of these deals, I'm not too pissed off about no year end sales and my bank account is REALLY happy.

From my "Let's Brag 2009" thread, here's my haul this year. Certainly can't complain:

Jazzmaster AVRI 62 $999.99 MF
Duosonic CV $199.99 MF
Jaguar HH (Made in Japan) $299 Fender Friday
Jaguar Bass and B DEC 30 Amp $499 Fender Friday
Telecaster Blackout $299 Fender Friday
Road Worn 50s Strat $599 (although they did go to 499! OUCH! )
Road Worn 50s Tele Blonde (GC Hollywood met the MF price and MF NEVER put the the blonde on special) $599
Master Built 70s Stratocaster Custom Shop $2600 Calif Vintage CS Road show
Highway One Telecaster $430 (399 + tax) GC "List" Sale
Ibanez AK 100 Hollow Body Sam Ash Northridge close out $500
Fender Stratacoustic Walnut Sam Ash Online Close out $110
PRS SE Custom 22 Grey Black Amazon Dec. Gold Box $299
Champion 600 Amp Guitar Center $99
Gibson Les Paul Special Black - Guitar Center Used $400
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Best Buy Northridge $699 (out the door)

• Members

Not a bad year at all, you're right.

Missing the year end deals isn't really such a big thing, but I was kinda looking forward to it since I had missed a few choice opportunities this year.

There are more good times ahead though, so here's to happy and sale-filled 2010!

(And if you're not playing that PRS as much as you thought you would I'll give ya more than you paid for it.)

• Members

(And if you're not playing that PRS as much as you thought you would I'll give ya more than you paid for it.)

ha ha, ok. But it's a really nice guitar and I love the PRS SE line. There may be some more close out deals since most of the PRS SE custom line has been discontinued.

• Members

ha ha, ok. But it's a really nice guitar and I love the PRS SE line. There may be some more close out deals since most of the PRS SE custom line has been discontinued.

The one I want is actually on closeout right now - the Mira Maple Top. But it's still $1,700. :-(

I think I'll have to find one used in a year or two.

• Members

I'm pretty new to the guitar world (really started playing a couple years ago) - but I have to agree. There were some good deals around Thanksgiving, but not much around Christmas, and really not much worth bothering with after Christmas. Unless a person can score some good stuff on CL, or eBay - there is not much to bother with. I don't know why. Maybe the discounts went as deep as they could around Thanksgiving, and vendors, and manufacturers are just saying "we are done with deep discounts - we have to start turning some real profit now". I don't know why the situation is what it is - but I agree. There are not many great deals right now.

- w

• Members

Item lists for $1000.00 dollars. For sale sign says 50% OFF! So item is selling for $500.00. That is the price it would normally sell for anyway. This started happening on an ongoing basis with the recession in the late 80's, early 90's. It works with many people as all they see is the 50% OFF sign, so the retailers keep on doing it.

Archived