So, should I move to Nashville? :)

BlackHatHunter

• Members

for anyone thinking of moving to nashville, i present the ever articulate mr. robbie fulks' take on it:

Well, I came down to Nashville in 1993

'Cause my friend Jim said Nashville had money growin' right on the trees

So I thought I'd go pick some, and I don't mean musically.

Now it's 4 years later, and I'm wonderin' where I went wrong

Shook a lotta hands, ate a lotta lunch, wrote a lotta dumbass songs

But I couldn't get a break in Nashville, if I tried my whole life long

So, {censored} this town...{censored} this town

{censored} it end-to-end, {censored} it up and down

Can't get noticed -- can't get found -- can't get a cut, so

{censored} this town.

Hey, this ain't country-western!

It's just soft-rock feminist crap!

And I thought they'd struck bottom back back in the days of Ronnie Milsap

Now they can't stop the flood of assholes: there ain't a big enough ASCAP.

Sure, I like old Tim Carroll, and BR5-49

But Nashville don't need that noise, no,

Nashville'll do just fine

As long as there's a moron market

And a faggot in a hat to sign.

{censored} this town! {censored} this town!

{censored}...this...town.

• Members

Dude, noooo! NYC! Greenwich Village. Or hang around the Brill Building.

(Only because Chess Records on South Michigan Avenue in Chicago is now a museum).

And um, there's always Ellay. The weather's great there. Awesome earthquakes, mudslides and fires too. And if you don't get a big hit single, there's tons of film soundtrack and commercial session work for movies about earthquakes fires and mudslides, n stuff. Lot's of guitar in those.

Dubuque, Iowa is good too.

And Columbus, Ohio -- for reals--has a just burgeoning rap scene (Li'l Bow Wow, any one?) You could do that Kid Rock country/southern rock/rap crossover thing!

• Members

It was not kidding, but of course the competition is uber-tough there.

OTOH, it's a cool town. I just visited it once. I ended up down on Printer's Alley http://www.theprintersalley.com/ (click on clubs) and the bars there were so cool. In one of them, it was like an audience pickup band. Folks rotated out of the audience onto stage to pick up the mic or an instrument and it was amazing cuz they were all pro quality. But think of the inspiration. ;) In one of the clubs, a blues guitarist broke a string mid song, kept singing, while he pulled out a string, strung it back up to pitch and carried on without virtually a hitch in the song's performance. Seeing that was worth the price of cover charge alone. ;) So true Pros in those honky tonks.

I think the thing with your song there would be to get it in the hands of a recording artist. How that's done, I dunno and obviously those folks are barraged with that, but I could see that tune on a track. Or try your luck with it in Lonnie's Western Room.

• Members

And um, there's always Ellay. The weather's great there. Awesome earthquakes, mudslides and fires too. And if you don't get a big hit single, there's tons of film soundtrack and commercial session work for movies about earthquakes fires and mudslides, n stuff. Lot's of guitar in those.

the guitar player in my band has made an excellent living doing exactly that for the last 20 years or so.

• Members

Well I'm no expert by any means but my girlfriend worked in the pop music industry and has done ghost writing for many people. The way I understand it is the record companies already have tons of song writers working for them so they get most of it in house. For example my GF is a Singer/Vocal teacher but she could write songs and submit them to her bosses and they would pay her a lump sum for each tune. She could also get a writing credit if she wanted, but it pays much less and the royalties coming back are a gamble. You never know if the song is going to be successful.

I'm sure the companies also use freelance songs from freelance song writers but my guess is, it's about who you know..not how great you can write a song. So it probably is pretty {censored}in tough if you don't already know producers higher up at the label who make those choices.

• Members

Well, this was posted today as a response to my thread:

Congrats Mojo! Your video was just made a Featured Video on Youtube! Expect some views to start rollin' in! I know this 'cause I posted up a vid, and in the sidebar I saw your featured vid link...hey, I know that guy!

I feel special :);)

• Members

as already written probably not, unless you have a secure day job you like

there are tons of very talented people here already... even more marginally talented people

musicians generally can't support each other as they are all trying to one-up the next guy

the industry let's the masses strangle each other, and hand picks who they think will sell and make $$$$, not what is talent

no one wants to just start a band and play....

great place to visit....

great pace to live IF you are not trying to become a star

pain in the ass if you're hoping to just play, or fantasizing about stardom

good luck

• Members

The song was good. I liked it.

Nashville is a great place to visit. One of my favorite places. The music scene is great especially for music other than country. I used to go down and visit friend at least once a year.

Go for it move to Nashville. There are plenty of jobs for singer/song writers there. Waiters, Bar Tenders, Bus Boy. Some great restaraunts and bars that's where the money is for musicians. And if you are lucky you can play in one of the cool clubs for drinks or a couple hundred bucks. Then I can come see your show the next time I go down for a visit.

Oh and you can always sell your blood at the Plasma Alliance for $30 a crack.

But joking aside the song was catchy.

Archived