Tuner accuracy for intonation.

doc oc

• Members

Depends.. Are you going to be doing it professionaly for other people? If so, then yes go for the professional tool. If it's just for yourself, it depends on how accurate you require it to be. I use the tuner on my POD X3 to set mine with and it seems to get the job done.

• Members

Peterson has always been the gold standard for tuners. But honestly, I think you're fine with a tuner that costs a lot less. You can get good tuners than run on your computer even, including a strobe tuner from Peterson called Strobosoft.

• Members

I'm teetering on ordering that planet waves strobe tuner. I have never actually owned a tuner I'm ashamed to say so could use some advice.

Laugh if you want, but I even set my own intonation by ear. I figured it might be time after 20 years of guitar playing to do it right and set up my guitars like they would do at a store.

$40 sounds like a reasonable sacrifice to me whereas $200 on a peterson makes me feel like maybe I should get a used classic vibe instead. Make sense?

My question then is, what is the cheapest GOOD strobe tuner I can buy? Can I get away with that planet waves or is it a waste of money unless you buy the "real deal"?

How would one use the strobosoft? Do you need a computer interface? I'm pretty low tech usually.

• Members

I do guitar repair as a sideline. I use a Korg CA 30. If you don't know what you're doing the best tuner in the world will be useless. BTW the CA 30 is a ten buck tuner. I won't spend big bucks on a tuner because I have more important things to spend my $$ on. Like hookers.

• Members

I do guitar repair as a sideline. I use a Korg CA 30. If you don't know what you're doing the best tuner in the world will be useless. BTW the CA 30 is a ten buck tuner. I won't spend big bucks on a tuner because I have more important things to spend my $$ on. Like hookers.

To be honest, I don't understand the hocus pocus surrounding professional setups. Never really saw the purpose of paying for one.

No offense intended but it seem like there is not much to it. Clean the thing, maybe polish frets if they need it, set the string height where you like it and then just shorten or lengthen the string at the saddle until the open string and 12th fret sound the same. Am I missing some voodoo that you $40-60 wizards can do that nobody else can?

I'm not being facetious or combative, just genuinely curious what my money would buy me?

• Members

The hocus pocus is that there are lazy people too lazy to learn even this much.

As for tuners, I don't think accuracy has been a problem with any of them. Like,...I haven't run into a malfunctioning out of tune, tuner. For me, it's about speed in recognition. This is something that my BOSS TU-2 really fails at. It's slow to reset for the next string.

When I'm on stage, I want it now.

My ZOOM 707II has a remarkably fast tuner. Too bad it's, well,...you know. A multi FX pedal. The GNX3 as well.

So, the BOSS Tu-2 isn't the best but it fits on my pedal board. I can mess with it with out getting on my knees, but it's slow.

It does make setting intonation easier at the 12th pressed fret note.

The cheapest tuner will work.

I like mine on the floor with a mute.

• Members

How accurate does it have to be?

Will the Planet Waves desktop strobe tuner for $39.99 at MF cut it or is it important to invest in a peterson or sonic research level instrument for good results?

I thought it cost $79.99?

It looks like it would do the trick. I have a Peterson VS-1 I bought eight years ago and it's awesome. I paid $219 for it then.

• Members

Wow, I didn't see the iphone strobotuner. I may have to pick that up. Ten bucks, plus another 12 for the input jack adapter. Pretty cheap price for a strobe tuner. Thanks Raven.

Wow, I just ordered that. I have a Peterson VS-II, but $10 is hard to believe. I always carry my iPod Touch, and this can often save me carrying a tuner.

• Members

The hocus pocus is that there are lazy people too lazy to learn even this much.

That's a shame. I feel like I have a much greater appreciation of the guitar because I do this myself. It really doesn't take very long either.

Archived