My Journey Begins....

Amasa

• Members

I'm a lefty who started righty. At first, I wished I'd started lefty, because I found it harder to pick accurately. However, a couple of things I've noticed:

- Eventually, my right hand caught up
- My left hand is really good at learning quick chord changes and stretches

The other advantage mentioned above, the level of choice you get with right-handed guitars, is also worth noting.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congrats on wanting to learn guitar. :thu: I know a lot of people who started learning electric guitar, but then moved to bass because "its easier" :facepalm:, but I hope you stick it out, through thick and thin. Learning guitar can be very rewarding, especially when you are learning. I remember when I learnt all of the major chords, I was proud of myself for weeks :lol:

once again, congrats :thu:

• Members

I'm a lefty that plays righty. I would recommend going left or right based on what your natural position is when you first pickup a guitar more than what degree of lefthandedness you have. I believe that if it feels natural then you'll have an easier time in the learning process.

Yup what he said on position...

I think about when I was taught to shoot

• Members

Hi Folks,

I want to thank darkmonohue for mentioning my site www.guitarprinciples.com. We specialize in teaching people, especially late starters and non-starters, how to be successful at guitar by learning how to practice effectively.

My methods are based on the laws of body learning, they are scientific, and work for everyone who uses them. When you understand how the body learns, you will be able to effectively learn any instructional material you find.

We have lots of adult players playing quite well, all styles, and making continuous progress. You can see them here GP Guitar Workshop . This is a forum where I invite anyone to come in, post a video of their playing, and whatever they think they are having trouble with, and I will tell you what your obstacles are and what to do about them.

It is true that many adult students have trouble learning, and if you would like some insight into the reasons why, I invite you to read this article I prepared on the subject Why People Struggle With Guitar.

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions, I'll be around!

Jamie
www.guitarprinciples.com

• Members

I really admire your passion towards music!!!
Since you've got the right mind set up, you should be a good guitarist in the near future!! :thu:
Although it looks like you've already chosen your gear, my piece of advice is not to choose too cheapy guitars just to save money. What is the point to doing that if you are going to buy better gears in the future ANYWAY?? I've learned it the hard way. Just buy the gear you ACTUALLY like as long as it stays in reasonable price range.
Good luck learning guitar and keep us updated!!!! :wave:

• 5 weeks later...

Archived