Kinda sharp fret ends...

Spike Li

• Members

Ive just noticed that the fret ends on my LP studio are a little on the sharp side since im practicing sweeping, which kinda hurts my fingers as i side up the neck.

They dont stick out, its just a very flat cut which makes the fret ends feel rough as they could be rounded off a bit better, so heres the thing- should i get a luthier to round down the edges, or will oil/acid from my fingers smooth them out over a reasonably short period of time?

• Members

what i've done... i've taken a flat head screw driver, and lightly filed down the sharp edges... takes only a few minutes, and usually takes care of it. i notice this happens on my guitars more in the winter months since the air is dryer.

• Members

what i've done... i've taken a flat head screw driver, and lightly filed down the sharp edges... takes only a few minutes, and usually takes care of it. i notice this happens on my guitars more in the winter months since the air is dryer.

You filed the edges with a screwdriver? How is that possible? :confused:

• Members

learn to use one of
. They are easy to use and worth every penny.

^ This. The perfect tool. Just use a really light touch with it - you have no idea how soft fretwire is, and it's easy to get carried away.

One other thing: With the cold weather, you might be experiencing a drop in your home's humidity. Sometimes this can shrink a fretboard ever so slightly, resulting in the frets "sprouting" a bit. Humidify your guitar in its case (or apply some lemon oil to the fretboard if it's rosewood) and see if that doesn't help before you go taking tools to your guitar.

• Members

You filed the edges with a screwdriver? How is that possible?
:confused:

i just used a small flat head screw driver and use the flat part to rub on the sharp corners... kinda seems like exact same way that tool will help you. just to make the sharp corners more rounded... i don't know, i did it on two guitars, a telecaster and my SG, and i haven't had problems with sharp edges since. i suppose you could try a fine steel wool too.

but that tool that people are linking you to, seems pretty convenient and not too expensive, and i've always had good luck ordering parts from stew mac.

• Members

^ This. The perfect tool. Just use a really light touch with it - you have no idea how soft fretwire is, and it's easy to get carried away.

One other thing: With the cold weather, you might be experiencing a drop in your home's humidity. Sometimes this can shrink a fretboard ever so slightly, resulting in the frets "sprouting" a bit. Humidify your guitar in its case (or apply some lemon oil to the fretboard if it's rosewood) and see if that doesn't help before you go taking tools to your guitar.

yea... pretty much what this guy said... your fretboard just may need some lemon oil. I'm not sure where you're located, but its probably a result in the dry air/low humidity.

• Members

yea... pretty much what this guy said... your fretboard just may need some lemon oil. I'm not sure where you're located, but its probably a result in the dry air/low humidity.

Well Im located in Australia so its freakin hot here atm! :mad:

And its definitely not a fretboard issue because its the top of the frets that are the problem, not the tang(?).

Can I order from that site from Australia? Im gonna have a look round and see if i can find one locally but if not...

Actually maybe its not such a good idea that I do it... I just tried that screwdriver trick and slipped and gouged my fretboard :facepalm: luckily i just did it on a cheapy and not the Gibson *phew*

• Members

Any local hobby shop will carry a set of swiss files, like these for $12,

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ksGq4mmVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They are nice files and they will take off the sharp edge of a fret very quickly. It's great to have a little set of files anyway as they are prefect for small fret work in general.

(just go really slow, and think about what could go wrong before you start filing.)

Pic from amazon,

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-707476-6-Piece-Pattern/dp/B000NUCAZA

• Members

I just tried that screwdriver trick and slipped and gouged my fretboard
:facepalm:
luckily i just did it on a cheapy and not the Gibson *phew*

oh no! is it bad? :( the head of my screwdrivers have a rough finish on them, so i think it helps kind of 'grind' away the sharpness... like that one guy said, the fretwire is pretty soft, so it doesn't take a lot to shape it...

be careful if you try to do anything by yourself... lay down an old t shirt or something so if you slip you just hit the shirt and not the wood.

• Members

Well Im located in Australia so its freakin
hot
here atm!
:mad:

And its definitely not a fretboard issue because its the top of the frets that are the problem, not the tang(?).

Depending on which bit of Australia you could still get humidity problems.

We do in Thailand. The fretboard issue shows as the fret not the tang because thats where the corners are.

Archived