Epiphone Les Paul or Gibson Melody Maker?

jestsumguy

• Members

for $550 there are a lot of good options out there... but of those you mentioned, I'd go with the LP, because the melody maker is such a one trick pony... it has one pickup, and it's a very twangy, tele-like pickup... you can get a few sounds with the tone control but the epiphone will do a lot more.

• Members

I know there's a lot of draw to the MM because it's a real, American, nitro Gibson, but it's really probably a better idea to get an Epi LP, unless you just really like MMs.

That said, I do own an MM! They're fun little things, but I got mine when they were $250 and I wouldn't have paid much more.

• Members

for $550 there are a lot of good options out there... but of those you mentioned, I'd go with the LP, because the melody maker is such a one trick pony... it has one pickup, and it's a very twangy, tele-like pickup... you can get a few sounds with the tone control
but the epiphone will do a lot more

Amen.

And once the funds allow, you can replace the stock pu's with whatever you want.

* SD A2P's ala Slash (love those pu's - see me sig)

* TV Jones Power Tron Plus / TV Jones Classic

* SD Alt8 / SD '59

. . . the options are endless.

• Members

or just save yourself some money and

ad2012ts1.jpg

http://www.rondomusic.com/ad201.html

the melody maker is a cool little novely, but id get that agile if you actually want a good useful "simple" LP style guitar. and its actually a better quality guitar than the gibson too.

... unless you want to do something crazy to the melody maker like i did. thats a whole different story :)

Archived