Seymour Duncan Pickups

UberNova

• Members

Personally I've never tried a guitar with Duncans on it. How are they? I know there's a lot of kinds from that brand lol, so maybe what's good for what and so on. My first guitar was an Ibanez with INF-3 pickups that are pretty nice for soloing. The LTD I have has EMGs in it and are awesome for rhythm 'cause they're mega crunchy and whatnot, but not as smooth for higher frets.

So long story short, for my next guitar I was wonder about getting one with Duncans in it. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing :) Thanks in advance guys.

• Members

Seymour Duncan make a huge variety of pickups. I can't imagine making any qualitative statement about how they sound based only on a brand name.

Sort of like asking how is the mileage on those GM cars?

Haha I know what you mean, the one's I was looking at have JB-101 or 102s in them, and some that have Blackouts. I just meant that if anyone had experience with any of the pickups in particular they could share some words of wisdom lol. Or even better if they could compare a set of Duncans with a set of EMG 81/85s for various aspects like crunch, tone, rhythm, solo, etc.

• Members

I've had some pretty good luck with SDs. I put a Custom 5 and Jazz in my LP bridge and neck respectively because the old PUs crapped out. They sound better than the originals (but it is an '82 XR-1 so I'm not too surprised). I put an Antiquity and Pearly Gate bridge/neck respectively in my MIM tele and they also sound really really good. I'm starting to really like that guitar finally even though I know HBs in a tele are blasphemy. My dad put 59s in his Sheraton and turned a good guitar into a great guitar.

Try to read as many reviews as you can to get a feel for what they will sound like or if you can try to find a guitar with them. Anything besides Duncan Designed will probably be pretty good to you ears.

• Members

Is there a knock-off type of EMG as well?

EMG > EMG HZ > EMG Select

Having said that, I have an EMG Select strat bridge pickup one one guitar that I always thought sounded pretty damn good for a fairly noiseless pickup.

Plus it was $5 rather than $80 or so for a Kinman.

• Members

Personally I've never tried a guitar with Duncans on it. How are they? I know there's a lot of kinds from that brand lol, so maybe what's good for what and so on. My first guitar was an Ibanez with INF-3 pickups that are pretty nice for soloing. The LTD I have has EMGs in it and are awesome for rhythm 'cause they're mega crunchy and whatnot, but not as smooth for higher frets.

So long story short, for my next guitar I was wonder about getting one with Duncans in it. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing
:)
Thanks in advance guys.

Go here and get the correct guidance :thu:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/index.php?s=

Great bunch of people, with a wealth of know how !

What type of tone ar you looking for ?

What type of K ohm do you like ?

Do you want to slightly scooped tone, or maybe a boost in the mids and high-mids ?

Is there a spesific magnet-character that you prefer over others ? Alnico 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, or maybe ceramic ?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

• Members

Seymour Duncan makes great pickups - just use their website to make sure what you get has the right EQ & Output for your tastes.

If you like the INF pickups, the high output Duncan's will blow your mind. Hell, even a JB/59 Set would probably make you happy.

• Members

Haha I know what you mean, the one's I was looking at have JB-101 or 102s in them, and some that have Blackouts. I just meant that if anyone had experience with any of the pickups in particular they could share some words of wisdom lol. Or even better if they could compare a set of Duncans with a set of EMG 81/85s for various aspects like crunch, tone, rhythm, solo, etc.

I prefer the Duncan BlackOuts, over any EMG's.

BosvdirNK2o

" Pretty easy to install with some soldering experience. Having 2 voicings for the pickup is a very nice feature loud and LOUDER. A two way switch and the right wire, you can switch between the two. The sound is something else, if you like it heavy this is definitely the way to go! I was surprised at the tonal range! "

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Guitar+Pickup/product/Seymour+Duncan/Blackouts+Metal+AHB-2/10/1 - read all about them !

If you want to get some acrives, i would never ever look at EMG's.

001.jpg

The BlackOut Metal set is so much "better" in every aspect, imho !

• Members

Well, for clarification purposes:

I`m basing my guitar choices somewhat on pickups cause I have a fear of having to buy and install pickups thanks to the horror stories I`ve heard. Might be shallow of me but I am still pretty green. As for what sound I want from them.. I like a thick, compressed crunchy sound. I was happy with the EMGs in my LTD for the most part. I found they were a little messy for the higher notes, soloing and whatnot compared to the INF-3 pickups in my Ibanez. And speaking in terms of cosmetics I like the way the EMGs and Blackouts look - just for the record

• Members

Well, for clarification purposes:

I`m basing my guitar choices somewhat on pickups cause I have a fear of having to buy and install pickups thanks to the horror stories I`ve heard. Might be shallow of me but I am still pretty green. As for what sound I want from them.. I like a thick, compressed crunchy sound. I was happy with the EMGs in my LTD for the most part. I found they were a little messy for the higher notes, soloing and whatnot compared to the INF-3 pickups in my Ibanez. And speaking in terms of cosmetics I like the way the EMGs and Blackouts look - just for the record

For the record . . . changing out pick ups is piss easy - i promise !

I would really suggest for you ro look into the SD BlackOuts.

I am NOT afan of EMG's, inho and experience, they make any guitar sound exactly the same as any other guitar with EMG;s in em.

In other words, a Les Paul Std, ESP Viper, Strat HH, and Ibby RG sounds exactly the same IF you give them EMG's.

NOT so with the Duncan BlackOuts :evil:

" The bridge pickup has a lot of output as to be expected from an active humbucker. Where the real difference is between an EMG 81 and an SD Blackout is the tone! EMG's have a compressed, heavy metal sound with lots of treble, but not much else. THe Blackout has just a bunch more mid range drive. This delivers a little more "crunch" from the blackout than an EMG, IMHO. Leads from the blackout, because of the more defined mids, seem to cut through better.

Another big factor is the noise and feedback. Hate that your EMG's like to feedback easiely when your hi gain tube amp is cranked? Blackouts have less hiss and definantly resist feedbacking much better than EMG's. "

" My rig is pretty simple V >Boss GE-7 > Mesa Boogie Express 5:50. Basicly a bunch of distortion into class A clean producing well rounded and harmonically rich distortion. The tone I get with the Blackout is RIDICULOUS! Huge crunch, tons and tons of low end boom and excellent tight highs. This thing absoulutely screams. I play metal pretty much all the time: Amon Amarth, Cannibal Corpse, Maiden, Tool, Metallica... you get the idea. Blackouts were put on this earth to bring the sky crashing down in crushing waves of distortion and let me they can do the job. I will say that it is pretty difficult to get cleans out of these things but lets face it if you wanted clean you'd prly go get some single coils or a p-90 or something. Even in a clean situation though my Blackout holds its own with a little natural overdrive. Fn awesome tone. Virtually no noise, definitely quieter than, say, an EMG-81. SD Blackouts > EMG. I'm only giving it a 9 because of the lack of clean tone. Fantastic. "

" The amp I use is a 2007 Mesa Boogie Roadster into a Mesa Recto 4X12.

First off the Blackout is much, much quieter, even though the Blackout is noticeably hotter than the EMG 85 that was at the bridge, articulate, more so than the 85. I agree that its a much warmer, and organic tone, and maybe a hair more bass response than I had hoped for, but no problem there. I???ve always preferred the warmth of an Alnico pickup at the bridge in my Les Paul and the Blackout is reminiscent of that. The Blackout is not at all brittle even though it uses a ceramic magnet. I think that is why I never liked the EMG 81 at the bridge, I found it brittle, harsh and thin in my Les Paul.

With the Roadster at band volume I noticed a much sharper midrange and smoother top with a slight touch of compression in the amp when pushed. The Blackout does not mud up the amp at loud volume/gain settings like the EMG 85 could if not careful. Ch 4 Modern sounds great as is for tight palm mutes, no need for my clean boost pedal anymore. The only EQ change I made was a hair less mids and more presence. I have the presence at about 11:00-11:30 and it nice and sharp, but not fizzy at all to me. With the EMG???s I kept the presence under 10:00 to keep the bees happy.

Lead tones in Ch 3 Vintage sound much smoother. The EMG???s had a much more aggressive top end, somewhat razor sharp but easily ???smeared???. The Blackout has more punch and a less compressed attack, with a strong upper mid push. I dialed the mids and treble back a bit and brought up the presence here as well. The Blackout developed nice sustain at band volume and had no problems with pinch harmonics and tasteful feedback.

Clean sounds are good for a high output pickup, but you have to dial back the volume for squeaky cleans. Ch 1 Tweed sounded nice when pushed, and Ch 2 Brit had a nice crunch to it now. I did not get a lot of time in these channels. "

" This pickup screams, definately the best active Ive ever tried and a lot better (IMO) to EMG's. It seems fuller, more articulate and a better top end. This pickup is made for heavy riffing metal. Normally I play rock and use passives but I wanted a brutal guitar and bought the ESP Laiho. The blackouts are definately a big part of its sound and their added heat helps acheive very fliud fast runs and chunky riff work. "

" This is definitely a high-output pickup.

In comparison to the EMG's, the tone is more defined across the entire register of the instrument and the mid-range (where the guitar lives) is stronger for the Blackouts. I find this really helps clean up the riffs on the lower strings allowing you to hear the individual notes with more clarity and separation. A fellow reviewer commented on the EMG's muddiness, and I can say that these pickups were able to maintain the low end of the guitar while still providing more definition.

To say that the Blackouts sound "better" than the EMG's is a simplification, but I believe the overall tone of the Blackouts is superior to the EMG's. If you???re familiar with the tone-term "djent", these pickups certainly have more capacity for that tone.

When used with less gain, say on a clean channel, the pickups still retain the definition, but lack the warmth and "feel" of some passives I've tried. I would say that these pickups are more purpose built for aggressive music. If you enjoy 15 minute jazz guitar odysseys, you might want to look elsewhere for pickups. "

" I'm using with an Engl Fireball through a 4x12 loaded with Eminence Man-O-War speakers. I play pretty much exclusively metal for like 15 years, usually more articulate death metal type stuff, though I go old school Metallica occasionally.

It's a very hot, very sensitive. Definitely has a "bigger" sound than the EMGs tonally. More lows, and better middle cut. Chords sound full and smooth, leads are articulate, and single note staccato riffs sound very present and clear. "

OK, you get the idea !

• Members

After doing a lot of looking around at different guitars and manufacturers, and some necessary research.. this is the guitar I've got my eye on right now.

c1_bj_atx_fr_absn_Lg.jpg

Construction: Set Neck 3-piece Mahogany

Body: Mahogany

Fingerboard: Ebony

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Active Blackouts

Bridge: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo (Honestly doesn't matter if it's the FR or String-thru model)

Tuners: Grover

It's just an all around fit for me. It's got Blackouts already in it which I'd like to try, and nice double cutaway shape. Along with Grover tuners, Floyd Rose (if I pick that version), Mahogany body and a neck that isn't bolt on lol. I'm not horrendously picky but if I was asked all the little features I like in a guitar this has almost all of them.

Now I've only ever heard good things about Schecter, though after looking around I see they put "Duncan designed" pickups in a lot of their lower end models. In the more pricey models it seems they have the standard Duncans which is good thing to note - thanks to Mustaine-who? for pointing out the difference. Plus, I`ve always wanted a Schecter =P

Opinions, anyone

• Members

After doing a lot of looking around at different guitars and manufacturers, and some necessary research.. this is the guitar I've got my eye on right now.

c1_bj_atx_fr_absn_Lg.jpg

Construction: Set Neck 3-piece Mahogany

Body: Mahogany

Fingerboard: Ebony

Pickups: Seymour Duncan Active Blackouts

Bridge: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo (Honestly doesn't matter if it's the FR or String-thru model)

Tuners: Grover

It's just an all around fit for me. It's got Blackouts already in it which I'd like to try, and nice double cutaway shape. Along with Grover tuners, Floyd Rose (if I pick that version), Mahogany body and a neck that isn't bolt on lol. I'm not horrendously picky but if I was asked all the little features I like in a guitar this has almost all of them.

Now I've only ever heard good things about Schecter, though after looking around I see they put "Duncan designed" pickups in a lot of their lower end models. In the more pricey models it seems they have the standard Duncans which is good thing to note - thanks to Mustaine-who? for pointing out the difference. Plus, I`ve always wanted a Schecter =P

Opinions, anyone

I have the white version of that guitar. I love it. It's a bit of a PITA to tune because of the Floyd, but once it's there, it's there all night. Super easy to play, intonates perfectly, great action all over then neck and sounds really good.

• Members

Duncans are the industry standard. Great pickups, there are better out there, but thats when you start getting into boutique pickups etc.

If you put Duncans in your guitar, you will have no complaints unless you are 65 years old playing blues through a Dumble or something.

Archived